* Page layout: doublesided
@ 2010-11-04 17:05 Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2010-11-04 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

Hello,

although I guess this is one of the really basic tasks, I'm not able to setup successfully page layout for double-sided printing.

My idea is to have different free "space" leftwards and rightwards from the text area.

I just want to get different width of the left/right area: 2.5 cm left (for binding) and 2 cm right (odd pages); and the same values mirrored for even pages.

My code is:

---
\setuplayout[location=doublesided]
%\setuplayout[location=duplex]
%\setuplayout[location=middle]

\starttext
   \showsetups
   \showlayout
   \showgrid

   \dorecurse{1}{\input knuth\par}
\stoptext
---

You can see the result:

1. The left margin is "pushed" left, so only 2 cm of it is visible (but the margin should have 2.5 cm - see listed value of "leftmargin").

- And obviously there is 0.5 cm extra "space" rightwards from the right margin.

Moreover, if any horizontal "pushing" is present, I'd expect shifting to the right to get a bit more space left, so that to allow binding on the left side. (I tried the horizontal shift to the left was the same for single- and double-sided setup.)

2. Horizontal "pushing" (shifting) is the same for even and odd pages.

- I succeeded to remove horizontal "pushing" by setting the "backspace" value to 3 cm.

But it's strange to me that one has to set this value explicitly, when keeping all other values default.

- I'm still not able to provide switching the size of the left/right "space" for even/odd pages.

So how to achieve this?

Btw: Why the dimensions (<- \showsetups) are printed 5 times?

Thank you for patience.

Lukas

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]