From: "Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o." <LPr@pontex.cz>
Subject: Re: Math and bold font: \definetypeface
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 15:37:47 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello -

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 22:48:47 +0100, Florian Wobbe <Florian.Wobbe@awi.de> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2010, at 20:27 , Procházka Lukáš wrote:
>
>>>  \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math] [cambria] [default]
>
> just a placeholder, which comes in handy when you want to define multiple entries at once:

OK, I understand.

> \starttypescript [palatino,pagella]
>   \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [rm] [serif] [\typescriptone] [default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> is equivalent to:
>
> \starttypescript [palatino]
>   \definetypeface [palatino] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default]
> \stoptypescript
> \starttypescript [pagella]
>   \definetypeface [pagella] [rm] [serif] [pagella] [default]
> \stoptypescript

Nice, I see.

> see texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.mkiv for lots of examples (BTW: this is the place, where cambria is defined).
>
>>  [mm]             % OK, [re]define the 'mm' member of the font definition bundle (= typeface)
>>  [math]           % Why this when I just specified math to be [re]defined by 'mm' one line above?
>
> takes the fontsynonym from \starttypescript [math] [cambria] and not from \starttypescript [cambria].

OK.

> again have a look at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TypeScripts and texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.mkiv. the examples are probably better than an explanation.
>
> Florian

To be honest, this is Greek to me (and I don't mean Greek letters ;-) ). I can understand or estimate sometimes what a piece of code should do, but not altogether.

E.g. \starttypescript uses various number of args - I can see
	"\starttypescript [fallback]" as well as
	"\starttypescript [serif] [modern,latin-modern,computer-modern,default]" and
	"\starttypescript [serif] [modern,latin-modern,computer-modern,default] [name]",
sometimes coupled with "default" (keyword?) or "name" (placeholder?).

- So this all doesn't bring much light to my effort.

--

To get back to my problem:

The default Ctx bodyfont (CMR) is all right for me, I don't need to change it (but it's possible, if it should simplify something).

I just need to redefine font(s) to be used for math and boldmath and which would allow to use Greek normal and bold chars. (I hope I understand well that "boldmath" is a bit special problem that requires "nonstandard" approach).

It's no problem to use any switch inside the math mode which would typeset bold letters (including Greek ones) - it may be \bf, \bfm, \msym, \mathsym, \sy ... - whatever.

It's also necessary NOT to type bold chars as special unicode symbols.

If I understand well, the default Ctx font - CMR - is used for typesetting [bold]math as well. But the problem is that it fails when typesetting bold Greek letters.

So that's why I'm thinking about AMS font(s), which should be contain normal and bold letters, including Greek ones, symbols...

So the question is - how to get AMS fonts work in the Ctx document - or maybe: how to replace the default math font by that of AMS.

What code - \typescript, \define???font??? - to use?

Just to make the code "$Abc \alpha = {\aSwitchToBoldMath Abc \alpha} = or \aCommandToTypeBoldMath{Abc \alpha}$ work.

NB: I'm still beginner with Ctx. I used to typeset [bold]math in LaTeX and some things are done another way there --

Thank again for your patience.

Lukas

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]