* Passing and retrieveing a variable
@ 2011-01-05 19:22 Procházka Lukáš
From: Procházka Lukáš @ 2011-01-05 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

Hello,

I'd need to pass a variable to Ctx and to retrieve it inside a compiled document - via Ctx itself and also by Lua. Something like modes; but modes allow just to check whether they are on or off. I'd need something like this:

Calling context.exe:

---
call context.exe test.mkiv --mode:MyMode --variable MyVariable=AAA
---

And test.mkiv:

---
\starttext
   Hello

   \doifmode{MyMode}{Being in MyMode}

   \ifvariableequal{MyVariable}{AAA}{MyVariable is \MyVariable} % Something like this

   \startluacode
     if context.variables.MyVariable == "AAA" then
       context("MyVariable is defined.") -- Something like this
     end
   \stopluacode
\stoptext
---

Simply said, I'd need to provide a conditional (or: dependent) compilation of the input file.

How to handle this?

Best regards,

Lukas

* Re: Passing and retrieveing a variable
@ 2011-01-05 20:11 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-01-05 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Procházka Lukáš <lpr@pontex.cz> writes:

> I'd need to pass a variable to Ctx and to retrieve it inside a
> compiled document - via Ctx itself and also by Lua.

Hello,

% cmd-line: context --arguments=testvar=my-value test
\starttext
value of testvar: \env{testvar}

with lua: \ctxlua{tex.print(document.arguments.arguments)}
\stoptext

There is perhaps a nicer solution in lua.

Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: Passing and retrieveing a variable
@ 2011-01-05 20:41 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-01-05 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.01.2011 um 20:22 schrieb Procházka Lukáš:

> Hello,
>
> I'd need to pass a variable to Ctx and to retrieve it inside a compiled document - via Ctx itself and also by Lua. Something like modes; but modes allow just to check whether they are on or off. I'd need something like this:

You can check modes in Lua:

context --arguments="size=small" --mode=print test.tex

\starttext

Print mode: \doifmodeelse{print}{yes}{no}

\startluacode
	if tex.modes['print'] then
		context("Print mode is enabled")
	else
		context("Print mode is disabled")
	end
\stopluacode

\doifenvelse{size}
  {\processaction
     [\env{size}]
     [  small=>Small size,
       medium=>Medium size,
          big=>Big size,
      unknown=>Other size: \env{size}]}
  {No value “size”}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Passing and retrieveing a variable
@ 2011-01-06  7:39   ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2011-01-06  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

thanks, -

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 21:41:13 +0100, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 05.01.2011 um 20:22 schrieb Procházka Lukáš:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd need to pass a variable to Ctx and to retrieve it inside a compiled document - via Ctx itself and also by Lua. Something like modes; but modes allow just to check whether they are on or off. I'd need something like this:
>
> You can check modes in Lua:
>
> context --arguments="size=small" --mode=print test.tex

And can I check a variable (argument) in Lua in a similar way?

---
\starttext

Print mode: \doifmodeelse{print}{yes}{no}

\startluacode
	if tex.modes['print'] then
		context("Print mode is enabled")
	else
		context("Print mode is disabled")
	end

	-- Something like this: >>

	if tex.arguments['size'] == "small" then
	-- Or: 'tex.variables["size"] == "small"'
	-- Or: 'document.arguments["size"] == "small"'

		context("Small size")
	end

	--
\stopluacode

\doifenvelse{size}
   {\processaction
      [\env{size}]
      [  small=>Small size,
        medium=>Medium size,
           big=>Big size,
       unknown=>Other size: \env{size}]}
   {No value “size”}
\stoptext
---

If the passed argument has a NUMBER value, should it be checked against a number value or a string - so what of the following should be right:

context --arguments="size=1" test.tex

if tex.arguments['size'] == "1" then ...

Or:

if tex.arguments['size'] == 1 then ...

Best regards,

Lukas

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]
Pontex s. r. o.      [mailto:pontex@pontex.cz] [http://www.pontex.cz]

Tel: +420 244 062 238
Fax: +420 244 461 038

* Re: Passing and retrieveing a variable
@ 2011-01-07  8:32   ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2011-01-07  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I created a testing file which tests existence and type of (tex|context|document).(modes|arguments|variables) by Lua - see the attachments.

It seems that:

- Modes are accessible by tex.modes[<a-mode>].

- - tex.modes are 'false' by default. I.e. they are not 'nil' but 'false', even if not specified on the command line. (tex.mode.__newindex predefined to this purpose?)

- There is no table of arguments or variables being passed by --arguments="ARG=arg" or by --variable="VAR=var" from the command line.

- All arguments passed to the command line are accessible by document.arguments. Unfortunately, when repeating an arg, only the last is accessible, e.g.

	context.exe t.mkiv --arguments="ARG1=arg1" --arguments="ARG2=arg2"

   will cause that only (string) "ARG2=arg2" will be in document.arguments.arguments.

- - That means also that not splitting to key-value pair is not performed by default (document.arguments.arguments is still "ARG2=arg2", no splitting to document.arguments.arguments.ARG2 to be "arg2" is not done).

- Not only predefined options/switches, but all args passed by command line are accessible by document.arguments. I.e. it's possible to call

	context.exe t.mkiv --myvar=MYVAR

   and later it's possible to get "MYVAR" from document.arguments.myvar.

Let's check the call:

	context.exe t.mkiv --arguments=AAA=aaa --mode=MMM --arguments=BBB=bbb --myvar=MYVAR

Best regards,

Lukas

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]
Pontex s. r. o.      [mailto:pontex@pontex.cz] [http://www.pontex.cz]
Bezová 1658
147 14 Praha 4

Tel: +420 244 062 238
Fax: +420 244 461 038

[-- Attachment #2: t.mkiv --]

\starttext
  Hello

  \startluacode
    context.hairline()

    context("tex"); context(true)

      context(type(tex))
      context(type(tex.modes))
      context(type(tex.arguments))
      context(type(tex.variables))

    context.hairline()

    context("context"); context(true)

      context(type(context))
      context(type(context.modes))
      context(type(context.arguments))
      context(type(context.variables))

    context.hairline()

    context("document"); context(true)

      context(type(document))
      context(type(document.modes))
      context(type(document.arguments))
      context(type(document.variables))

    context.hairline()

    context("tex.modes"); context(true)

      context(tostring(tex.modes["MMM"])); context(true)

    context.hairline()

    context("document.arguments"); context(true)

      for k, v in pairs(document.arguments) do
        context(k .. " = " .. tostring(v)); context(true)
      end

    context.hairline()

    context("tex"); context(true)

      for k, v in pairs(tex) do
        --context(k .. " = " .. tostring(v)); context(true)
      end

    context.hairline()

    context("document"); context(true)

      for k, v in pairs(document) do
        --context(k .. " = " .. tostring(v)); context(true)
      end
  \stopluacode
\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: t.pdf --]

* Re: Passing and retrieveing a variable
@ 2011-01-07  8:48     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-01-07  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/1/7 Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. <LPr@pontex.cz>:
> Hello,
>
> I created a testing file which tests existence and type of
> (tex|context|document).(modes|arguments|variables) by Lua - see the
> attachments.
>
> It seems that:
>
> - Modes are accessible by tex.modes[<a-mode>].
>
> - - tex.modes are 'false' by default. I.e. they are not 'nil' but 'false',
> even if not specified on the command line. (tex.mode.__newindex predefined
> to this purpose?)
>
> - There is no table of arguments or variables being passed by
> --arguments="ARG=arg" or by --variable="VAR=var" from the command line.
>
> - All arguments passed to the command line are accessible by
> document.arguments. Unfortunately, when repeating an arg, only the last is
> accessible, e.g.
>
>        context.exe t.mkiv --arguments="ARG1=arg1" --arguments="ARG2=arg2"
>
>  will cause that only (string) "ARG2=arg2" will be in
> document.arguments.arguments.
>
> - - That means also that not splitting to key-value pair is not performed by
> default (document.arguments.arguments is still "ARG2=arg2", no splitting to
> document.arguments.arguments.ARG2 to be "arg2" is not done).
>
> - Not only predefined options/switches, but all args passed by command line
> are accessible by document.arguments. I.e. it's possible to call
>
>        context.exe t.mkiv --myvar=MYVAR
>
>  and later it's possible to get "MYVAR" from document.arguments.myvar.
>
> Let's check the call:
>
>        context.exe t.mkiv --arguments=AAA=aaa --mode=MMM --arguments=BBB=bbb
> --myvar=MYVAR
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lukas
>

> On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 21:11:51 +0100, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> Procházka Lukáš <lpr@pontex.cz> writes:
>>
>>> I'd need to pass a variable to Ctx and to retrieve it inside a
>>> compiled document - via Ctx itself and also by Lua.
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> % cmd-line: context --arguments=testvar=my-value test
>> \starttext
>> value of testvar: \env{testvar}
>>
>> with lua: \ctxlua{tex.print(document.arguments.arguments)}
>> \stoptext
>>
>> There is perhaps a nicer solution in lua.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> --
> Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]
> Pontex s. r. o.      [mailto:pontex@pontex.cz] [http://www.pontex.cz]
> Bezová 1658
> 147 14 Praha 4
>
> Tel: +420 244 062 238
> Fax: +420 244 461 038

Maybe Data Description can here here
http://www.lua.org/pil/10.1.html

--
luigi

* Re: Passing and retrieveing a variable
@ 2011-01-07  9:15     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-01-07  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. <LPr@pontex.cz> writes:

> 	context.exe t.mkiv --arguments="ARG1=arg1" --arguments="ARG2=arg2"

It's supposed to be --arguments="ARG1=arg1,ARG2=arg2"
Peter

* Re: Passing and retrieveing a variable
@ 2011-01-07 21:58     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-07 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7-1-2011 9:32, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:

> - Modes are accessible by tex.modes[<a-mode>].

indeed

> - - tex.modes are 'false' by default. I.e. they are not 'nil' but
> 'false', even if not specified on the command line. (tex.mode.__newindex
> predefined to this purpose?)

indeed

> - There is no table of arguments or variables being passed by
> --arguments="ARG=arg" or by --variable="VAR=var" from the command line.

indeed (--arguments is an old mechanism and mkii compatible)

> - All arguments passed to the command line are accessible by
> document.arguments. Unfortunately, when repeating an arg, only the last
> is accessible, e.g.
>
> context.exe t.mkiv --arguments="ARG1=arg1" --arguments="ARG2=arg2"

indeed, so one can easily overload

> will cause that only (string) "ARG2=arg2" will be in
> document.arguments.arguments.

as mentioned by someone already, use "a=1,b=2,c=3"

> - - That means also that not splitting to key-value pair is not
> performed by default (document.arguments.arguments is still "ARG2=arg2",
> no splitting to document.arguments.arguments.ARG2 to be "arg2" is not
> done).

indeed, although they are split and assigned at the tex end

> - Not only predefined options/switches, but all args passed by command
> line are accessible by document.arguments. I.e. it's possible to call
>
> context.exe t.mkiv --myvar=MYVAR

right, but make sure to use a prefix so that there is no confusion
(myvarone myvartwo etc)

> and later it's possible to get "MYVAR" from document.arguments.myvar.
>
> Let's check the call:
>
> context.exe t.mkiv --arguments=AAA=aaa --mode=MMM --arguments=BBB=bbb
> --myvar=MYVAR

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-01-08 18:12       ` Procházka Lukáš
From: Procházka Lukáš @ 2011-01-08 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

Hello,

thanks for detailing the observation -

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 22:58:24 +0100, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 7-1-2011 9:32, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:
>
>> - Modes are accessible by tex.modes[<a-mode>].
>
> indeed
>
>> - - tex.modes are 'false' by default. I.e. they are not 'nil' but
>> 'false', even if not specified on the command line. (tex.mode.__newindex
>> predefined to this purpose?)
>
> indeed
>
>> - There is no table of arguments or variables being passed by
>> --arguments="ARG=arg" or by --variable="VAR=var" from the command line.
>
> indeed (--arguments is an old mechanism and mkii compatible)
>
>> - All arguments passed to the command line are accessible by
>> document.arguments. Unfortunately, when repeating an arg, only the last
>> is accessible, e.g.
>>
>> context.exe t.mkiv --arguments="ARG1=arg1" --arguments="ARG2=arg2"
>
> indeed, so one can easily overload

You're right, good feature.

>> will cause that only (string) "ARG2=arg2" will be in
>> document.arguments.arguments.
>
> as mentioned by someone already, use "a=1,b=2,c=3"
>
>> - - That means also that not splitting to key-value pair is not
>> performed by default (document.arguments.arguments is still "ARG2=arg2",
>> no splitting to document.arguments.arguments.ARG2 to be "arg2" is not
>> done).
>
> indeed, although they are split and assigned at the tex end

So, an earlier splitting may be performed by something like

for a in document.arguments:gmatch("([^,]+)") do
    local k, v = a:match("(.*)=(.*)")

    document.arguments[k] = v
end

Best regards,

Lukas

@ 2011-01-09 21:03         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-09 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-1-2011 7:12, Procházka Lukáš wrote:

> So, an earlier splitting may be performed by something like
>
> for a in document.arguments:gmatch("([^,]+)") do
> local k, v = a:match("(.*)=(.*)")
>
> document.arguments[k] = v
> end

utilities.parsers.settings_to_hash(