From: "Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد" <ishamid@colostate.edu>
Subject: Re: ConTeXt Book: Request for help!
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 16:39:46 -0600	[thread overview]

Hi Kip,

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:16:58 -0600, Kip Warner <kip@thevertigo.com> wrote:

>> As some of you may know, I'm working on a professional introductory book
>> for learning ConTeXt. Part of the philosophy of this book is to be as
>> self-contained as possible, so we'll be using a preferred editor.

> Hey Idris. I think writing a book is a great idea and much needed. I
> don't believe that tying it to a specific editor though is neither
> necessary nor a good idea.

The Book will not be "tied" to an editor. However, one goal of the book is
to be accessible to absolute newbies for whom the TeX-vs-editor
distinction will be a turn-off. A complete newbie system should include an
editor/environment. The book will be arranged in a way that the two are
not coupled, and those with some TeX or other technical background can
easily ignore Npp.

>> Not one editor/ide out there is ideal for ConTeXt (including bidi
>> editing
>> and other user-friendly configurability). The best balance I could find
>> is
>> Notepad++ (Npp), and that's what I'm going with.

> The problem with Npp is that the tens of millions of users out there

Wow, that would be great if we got tens of millions of users to buy the
Book :D :D :D

> running operating systems like Ubuntu will not be able to use Notepad++
> since it is written only for Windows.

Well, most people using Linux have some technical facility, so they can
configure their own editors.

> It might be better to decouple the
> editor from the information on ConTeXt itself and perhaps offer editor
> specific integration information in an appendix.

That is actually one option I'm considering. In any case.

> You'll find that Gedit,

I did look at gedit, but for the current vision I have for introducing
ConTeXt to non-technical folks it does not work.

Actually, I spent months checking for a better candidate than Npp,
experimenting with just about everything I could get my hands on. On
balance Npp got the best score on all the benchmarks I set. That's not to
say I wouldn't prefer something better, but that decision is done, only to
be revisited if something really AMAZING happens in the next few months.

WinEdt would really have been be my ideal choice -- but the lack of
unicode, bidi is just a non-starter. TeXWorks has a long way to go, and
although I'm a fan of Qt its open-type implementation is buggy; so some
Arabic-monospaced fonts don't show up correctly.

> for instance, is very easy to write syntax highlighting for.

Syntax highlighting is only a small part of what we're doing with Npp.
Otherwise, just the user-defined dialog of Npp would be sufficient.
Click-and-tag, tooltips ... these make for real user-friendliness.

Thanks for the criticism and

Best wishes
Idris
International Journal of Shīʿī Studies