Hi JR, On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 15:12:54 -0600, J. R. Schmid wrote: > for better or worse, I'm trying to typeset Arabic poetry in ConTeXt For better :-) > after having become fed up with LaTeX for a variety of reasons. Arabic > script itself is not a problem and I already love how easy it is to use > whatever font you like and how clean ConTeXt seems to be in its design. > > What is giving me trouble, though, is the face that traditionally, > poetry needs to be typeset in two columns. Using an English poem for an > example, it'd look a little bit like this: > > Said Rich Accetta-Evans: > > 1 My poem delights me 2 My poem is mine > 3 It is like fresh bread 4 When I bake it myself > 5 It is like my son 6 The day he was born > [...] > > This is to be read in the order of the numbers, so "columns" or > "simplecolumns" won't work (I think). I have an experimental/rudimentary module that does this. It needs some work to get, e.g., better widths for automatic typesetting in the high-level code (tracking the dynamic \hsize in ConTeXt) but you are welcome to try it. See the attached module and test file. > > The second problem is the way in which Arabic needs to be justified, > namely not by adjusting the space between words, but instead by > adjusting the connecting line between letters: > > قال أبو الطيب أحمد بن الحسين المتنبّي > > أنـا الـذي نـظر الأعمى إلـى أدبي وأسمعـت كـلماتــي مـن به صمم > كم تـطلبون لـنا عيبًـا فــيعجزكم ويكره المجد ما تأتـون والكرم > ما أبعـد العيب والنقصان عن شرفي أنا الثّريا وذان الشيب والهرم > [...] > > I couldn't find any info on either of these two questions through the > documentation or through Google (although I might have been looking for > the wrong keywords). Any comments are appreciated! :-) I'm hoping that this will be implemented in the coming months. Hans and I have done work on the general case -- involving very advanced font-features -- but not so much on the simple case -- involving insertions of tatweel. That may seem counter-intuitive, usually the simple comes before the complex ;-) Let me know how things work, and you can write me off-list. Best wishes Idris -- Professor Idris Samawi Hamid Department of Philosophy Colorado State University Fort Collins, CO 80523