* A series of articles about text-editors for the MAPS
@ 2012-08-07  9:34 Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2012-08-07  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEX-NL, NTG-Context ConTeXt users; +Cc: Taco Hoekwater

Dear TeX users and TeX friends,

At one of the last NTG-meetings we discussed possibilities to write a series of articles presenting the different text editors used in modern TeX-environments.

Such an article could have ingredients like availability, general use, highlights, issues related to TeX coding and whether it is suitable for Plain-tex, Latex, Context, configurability etc.

The idea is to produce a MAPS-issue in color, so that also screenshots can be included.

We have already a couple of volunteers to write on certain editors, however it is for sure not a bad idea to include even two articles on the same editor. What we definitely are looking for is someone who would be prepared to write an article over WinEdt.

I am looking forward hearing from you, kind regards

Willi Egger
Secretary NTG
ntg-secretary@ntg.nl

* Re: A series of articles about text-editors for the MAPS
@ 2012-08-08  0:22 ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2012-08-08  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:34:28 +0200 Willi Egger <context@boede.nl>
wrote:

> Dear TeX users and TeX friends,
>
> At one of the last NTG-meetings we discussed possibilities to
> write a series of articles presenting the different text
> editors used in modern TeX-environments.
>
> Such an article could have ingredients like availability,
> general use, highlights, issues related to TeX coding and
> whether it is suitable for Plain-tex, Latex, Context,
> configurability etc.
>
> The idea is to produce a MAPS-issue in color, so that also
> screenshots can be included.
>
> We have already a couple of volunteers to write on certain
> editors, however it is for sure not a bad idea to include even
> two articles on the same editor. What we definitely are looking
> for is someone who would be prepared to write an article over
> WinEdt.
>
> I am looking forward hearing from you, kind regards
>
> Willi Egger Secretary NTG ntg-secretary@ntg.nl

I use Gvim for all editing, including all forms of TeX, columns
submitted to my newspaper editors, programs (Tcl etc.) and emails.
The virtue is I do not have to learn and relearn a new editor for
each. And my custmizations such as F2 to justify each paragraph
ragged right, are common for all. I even assign F keys for
running pdftex or context on a file named book.tex (every book I
work on is in a separate directory so all of them are called
book.tex.) I have an  F key for "acroread book.pdf"

Just FYI. I doubt if I am the only one.

-- John Culleton

* Re: A series of articles about text-editors for the MAPS
@ 2012-08-08 13:19   ` Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz @ 2012-08-08 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Willi,

I used vim/gvim in the past and switched to emacs. I write all my stuff
with ConTeXt and with some tweaking of the commands you can also make
mkiv run inside of emacs. also nice is to write your metapost and use
the metapost mode for it that can generate a preview inside emacs for
you. Together with auctex and reftex emacs is in my opinion the best
tool for writing TeX/LaTeX/ConTeXt documents.

So setup is:

* emacs
* auctex
* ConTeXt
* reftex
* preview-latex
* etexshow (a Browser for ConTeXt commands)
* metapost-mode+ (metapost preview)
* meta-mode (for metafont and metapost)

so far the best setup I had and where I will stay :)

Greetings

Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz

* Re: A series of articles about text-editors for the MAPS
@ 2012-08-08 13:34     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-08-08 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz <
scholz.m82@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Willi,
>
> I used vim/gvim in the past and switched to emacs. I write all my stuff
> with ConTeXt and with some tweaking of the commands you can also make
> mkiv run inside of emacs. also nice is to write your metapost and use
> the metapost mode for it that can generate a preview inside emacs for
> you. Together with auctex and reftex emacs is in my opinion the best
> tool for writing TeX/LaTeX/ConTeXt documents.
>
> So setup is:
>
> * emacs
> * auctex
> * ConTeXt
> * reftex
> * preview-latex
> * etexshow (a Browser for ConTeXt commands)
> * metapost-mode+ (metapost preview)
> * meta-mode (for metafont and metapost)
>
> so far the best setup I had and where I will stay :)
>
> I'm also with emacs and I feel I will stay...
But I have not investigate too much on a specific  ConTeXt-mode. It would
really useful (well, at least for me )
if you can wikify your setup (emacs stuff are quite stable over the time)
BTW I also use
* lua-mode.el

--
luigi

* Re: A series of articles about text-editors for the MAPS
@ 2012-08-08 13:43 ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2012-08-08 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Willi,

is there a template for an article on "My Favorite Text Editor"? E.g. section names, setups for heads, paragraphs, page layouts...

How large the article is supposed to be (e.g. in words of the text; and/or in pages, i.e. including images/screenshots)?

What is the deadline for draft version of such article?

Best regards,

Lukas

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]
Pontex s. r. o.      [mailto:pontex@pontex.cz] [http://www.pontex.cz]

Tel: +420 244 062 238
Fax: +420 244 461 038

* Re: A series of articles about text-editors for the MAPS
@ 2012-08-08 14:24       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2012-08-08 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Normally I use Smultron for most of my coding, including ConTeXt.
But it’s the old, free version, not the new AppStore-version (I heard
that sucks), since I’m still on OSX 10.5.8.

In some projects where I use ConTeXt just as a backend or report
generator, I edit my ConTeXt files in Eclipse/Aptana plain text editor
(TeXlipse doesn’t work for ConTeXt).

Via ssh I use vim, of course.

Sometimes TextWrangler comes handy.
At work I use jEdit.

Not enough and too much to write an article about, I fear.

Greetlings, Hraban

* Re: A series of articles about text-editors for the MAPS
@ 2012-08-08 14:46     ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-08-08 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 08/08/2012 09:19 AM, Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz wrote:
> Hi Willi,
>
> I used vim/gvim in the past and switched to emacs. I write all my stuff
> with ConTeXt and with some tweaking of the commands you can also make
> mkiv run inside of emacs. also nice is to write your metapost and use
> the metapost mode for it that can generate a preview inside emacs for
> you. Together with auctex and reftex emacs is in my opinion the best
> tool for writing TeX/LaTeX/ConTeXt documents.

I USED to run emacs + auctex but the ConTeXt support in auctex is
minimal so I asked on the auctex mailing list if there would be any
expansion of the ConTeXt support. I got back a one-sentence reply:

"Code doesn't change itself."

That ticked me off as the FSF has done for 30+ years. Not everyone is a
developer and just having the source code doesn't mean you understand
the language, the programming style, the particular programmer's choice
of "tricks" or the way the software is broken up into functions, what
functions are global and what functions are package-specific.

A polite, "No, there's nobody working on it right now." might not have
gored my ox so badly.

Since I'm going to have to write the kind of ConTeXt support I want, I
switched to Textadept. Textadept is conceptually similar to emacs but it
has been designed from the ground up for modern systems (emacs dates
back to the 1970's) and uses Lua for an extension language. Lua is
sufficiently similar to languages I have worked with in the past so
learning it is pretty easy compared to learning LISP (aka "Long
Indecipherable Sets of Parentheses") which is unlike anything else, period.

Textadept is based on Scintilla rather than some home-grown display
mechanism.

I'm working on a ConTeXt-specific extension mode for ConTeXt that will
not only provide syntax highlighting and command completion, but will
provide command-specific option and parameter pick-lists for each
command. Unfortunately, it's in my queue behind a couple of other big
writing/journalism projects and won't be done for a while.

I thought I was done coding after 45+ years of doing it but I guess I'm not.

Sorry for the rant.

--
Bill Meahan, Westland, Michigan USA

“Writing is a combination of intangible
   creative fantasy and appallingly
   hard work.”

           —Anthony Powell

This message is digitally signed with an X.509 certificate
to prove it is from me and has not been altered since it was sent.

[-- Attachment #1.2: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature --]

* Re: A series of articles about text-editors for the MAPS
@ 2012-08-08 14:52     ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2012-08-08 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 15:19:22 +0200
"Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz" <scholz.m82@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Willi,
>
> I used vim/gvim in the past and switched to emacs. I write all my
> stuff with ConTeXt and with some tweaking of the commands you can
> also make mkiv run inside of emacs.

 Using Gvim I have two ways to make context run inside the
editor:
<esc>:!context book.tex
and for the next iteration:
(It may take several uparrows depending on how many colon commands have intervened)

That's the simple way. The harder way up front is to set up an F key to
automatically process this string:
context book.tex
This is a bit of a bear to set up in .vimrc, but a single keystroke
is much faster in production.

I also have an F key for pdftex, one for acroread and one for
justifying all the paragraphs ragged right. Set once, use forever.

--
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers:

* Re: A series of articles about text-editors for the MAPS
@ 2012-08-08 15:02       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-08-08 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
luigi

* Re: A series of articles about text-editors for the MAPS
@ 2012-08-08 16:51         ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-08-08 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 08/08/2012 11:02 AM, luigi scarso wrote:

> Anyone involved in TeX programming has no fear of all others languages.

I've never programmed in Plain TeX. I'm not afraid of other languages,
though. I've programmed in Assembler (several varieties for 8-bit,
12-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit machines), SPS, FORTRAN II, FORTRAN IV
(several varieties), WATFOR, FORTRAN 77, FOCAL, BASIC/Visual Basic
(several varieties), C, Ada, PL/SQL, SQL, Perl, sh, ksh, bash, FORTH and
several others I've forgotten including some application-specific
"macro" languages. LISP, however, isn't structured like any of those.
Lua is. For the way my brain works, the learning-curve for Lua is much
shorter than the learning-curve for LISP.

> why not Scite ? It's the Hans's preferred editor.

Tried it, have it installed, added Hans's lexers but still wasn't
satisfied. If I have to hack on something to get what I want, Textadept
is easier to hack than SciTE since it's pretty much a "reimagining" (as
the folks in Hollywood like to say) of emacs for the 21st Century and
designed for user-driven additions/expansions.

I've already added interactive spell-checking with aspell (in a separate
window), dictionary lookup (and thesaurus-only lookup) via dict, running
context with a single key and launching a PDF viewer with a single key

This is getting way OT. Let's end it here.
--

@ 2012-08-08 17:12           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-08-08 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Bill Meahan <wmeahan94@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/08/2012 11:02 AM, luigi scarso wrote:
>
>  Anyone involved in TeX programming has no fear of all others languages.
>>

> I've never programmed in Plain TeX.

try, and LISP will seems nice

This is getting way OT. Let's end it here.

OT is a quite relaxed concept here, especially for editors & especially in
summer. Seldom an OT becomes a flame --- it  gradually finishes.
Editor is a never ending topic and even if everybody hardly changes his
own favorite, we  are (well, should be) always open to new editors or way
to edit the code.
After all, TeX+Emacs = texmacs could be *the* editor for context , if only
mkiv was supported.

--
luigi

* Re: A series of articles about text-editors for the MAPS
@ 2012-08-08 20:09             ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2012-08-08 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 08 2012, luigi scarso wrote:

> After all, TeX+Emacs = texmacs could be *the* editor for context , if only
> mkiv was supported.

What about crowdfunding a better context mode for emacs?

--
           Peter

* Re: A series of articles about text-editors for the MAPS
@ 2012-08-08 21:10   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2012-08-08 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 20:22:48 -0400
john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:34:28 +0200 Willi Egger <context@boede.nl>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear TeX users and TeX friends,
> >
> > At one of the last NTG-meetings we discussed possibilities to
> > write a series of articles presenting the different text
> > editors used in modern TeX-environments.
> >
> > Such an article could have ingredients like availability,
> > general use, highlights, issues related to TeX coding and
> > whether it is suitable for Plain-tex, Latex, Context,
> > configurability etc.
> >
> > The idea is to produce a MAPS-issue in color, so that also
> > screenshots can be included.
> >
> > We have already a couple of volunteers to write on certain
> > editors, however it is for sure not a bad idea to include even
> > two articles on the same editor. What we definitely are looking
> > for is someone who would be prepared to write an article over
> > WinEdt.
> >
> > I am looking forward hearing from you, kind regards
> >
> > Willi Egger Secretary NTG ntg-secretary@ntg.nl
>
> I use Gvim for all editing, including all forms of TeX, columns
> submitted to my newspaper editors, programs (Tcl etc.) and emails.
> The virtue is I do not have to learn and relearn a new editor for
> each. And my custmizations such as F2 to justify each paragraph
> ragged right, are common for all. I even assign F keys for
> running pdftex or context on a file named book.tex (every book I
> work on is in a separate directory so all of them are called
> book.tex.) I have an  F key for "acroread book.pdf"
>
> Just FYI. I doubt if I am the only one.

cat > book.tex ; context book ; zathura book.pdf

* Re: A series of articles about text-editors for the MAPS
@ 2012-08-08 23:07       ` Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz
From: Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz @ 2012-08-08 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz
> <scholz.m82@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Hi Willi,
>
>     I used vim/gvim in the past and switched to emacs. I write all my
>     stuff
>     with ConTeXt and with some tweaking of the commands you can also
>     make
>     mkiv run inside of emacs. also nice is to write your metapost and
>     use
>     the metapost mode for it that can generate a preview inside emacs
>     for
>     you. Together with auctex and reftex emacs is in my opinion the
>     best
>     tool for writing TeX/LaTeX/ConTeXt documents.
>
>     So setup is:
>
>     * emacs
>     * auctex
>     * ConTeXt
>     * reftex
>     * preview-latex
>     * etexshow (a Browser for ConTeXt commands)
>     * metapost-mode+ (metapost preview)
>     * meta-mode (for metafont and metapost)
>
>     so far the best setup I had and where I will stay :)
>

> I'm also with emacs and I feel I will stay...
> But I have not investigate too much on a specific  ConTeXt-mode. It
> would really useful (well, at least for me )
> if you can wikify your setup (emacs stuff are quite stable over the
> time)
> BTW I also use
> * lua-mode.el

Hi Luigi,

sure I can a lot of what I have is already in the funtoo wiki, but I can
try to strip out only the ConTeXt parts from my setup and add it to
contextgarden :)

will take some time, as I have some work floating around my desk that I
need to fix first... :)

Greetings

Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz

* Re: A series of articles about text-editors for the MAPS
@ 2012-08-08 23:15         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-08-08 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)