* Setting options for every n-th row in natural TABLEs
@ 2012-09-02 15:59 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-09-02 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Edward Tufte's website, there is a discussion on zebra coloring in
tables[1]. One of the suggestion is to add a horizontal rule after every
third line or shade three lines with one background color and the
remaining three with another background color.

Is there an easy way to do this with natural TABLEs? I can do something
like:

\setupTABLE[row][1,2,3][background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]
\setupTABLE[row][7,8,9][background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]

but it requires knowing the number of lines in advance.

Aditya

[1]: http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0001IV

* Re: Setting options for every n-th row in natural TABLEs
@ 2012-09-02 18:58 ` Wolfgang Schuster
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-09-02 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 02.09.2012 um 17:59 schrieb Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>:

> Hi,
>
> On Edward Tufte's website, there is a discussion on zebra coloring in tables[1]. One of the suggestion is to add a horizontal rule after every third line or shade three lines with one background color and the remaining three with another background color.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this with natural TABLEs? I can do something like:
>
> \setupTABLE[row][1,2,3][background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]
> \setupTABLE[row][7,8,9][background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]
>
> but it requires knowing the number of lines in advance.
>
> Aditya
>
> [1]: http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0001IV

Natural tables have “odd” and “even” keywords for \setupTABLE but none in the way you like it. What I would do is to use a overlay in combination with metapost to create the background but there is no global register to access the current column/row of a cell, e.g. \currenttablecolumn (this name is already used by tables) and \currenttablerow.

Wolfgang

* Re: Setting options for every n-th row in natural TABLEs
@ 2012-09-02 19:56 ` Procházka Lukáš
From: Procházka Lukáš @ 2012-09-02 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Lua solution:

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 17:59:55 +0200, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Edward Tufte's website, there is a discussion on zebra coloring in
> tables[1]. One of the suggestion is to add a horizontal rule after every
> third line or shade three lines with one background color and the
> remaining three with another background color.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this with natural TABLEs? I can do something
> like:
>
> \setupTABLE[row][1,2,3][background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]
> \setupTABLE[row][7,8,9][background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]
>
> but it requires knowing the number of lines in advance.

- it may be achieved by Lua, when the table has been defined as a Lua variable:

----
\startluacode
   tab = { { "a", "b", },
           { "c", "d", },
           { "e", "f", },
           { "g", "h", },
         }
\stopluacode

\starttext
   \startluacode
     local rows1 = {}

     for i = 1, #tab, 3 do table.insert(rows1, i) end -- Define rules here - setup first set of rows

     context.setupTABLE({"row"}, rows1, {background = "color", backgroundcolor = "gray"})

     context.bTABLE()
       for i, r in ipairs(tab) do
         context.bTR()
           for j, d in ipairs(r) do
             context.bTD()
               context(d)
             context.eTD()
           end
         context.eTR()
       end
     context.eTABLE()
   \stopluacode
\stoptext
----

Best regards,

Lukas

> Aditya
>
> [1]: http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0001IV

[-- Attachment #2: t-Table3.mkiv --]

\startluacode
  tab = { { "a", "b", },
          { "c", "d", },
          { "e", "f", },
          { "g", "h", },
        }
\stopluacode

\starttext
  \startluacode
    local rows1 = {}

    for i = 1, #tab, 3 do table.insert(rows1, i) end -- Define first rules here - setup first set of rows

    context.setupTABLE({"row"}, rows1, {background = "color", backgroundcolor = "gray"})

    context.bTABLE()
      for i, r in ipairs(tab) do
        context.bTR()
          for j, d in ipairs(r) do
            context.bTD()
              context(d)
            context.eTD()
          end
        context.eTR()
      end
    context.eTABLE()
  \stopluacode
\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: t-Table3.pdf --]

* Re: Setting options for every n-th row in natural TABLEs
@ 2012-09-03  0:39   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-09-03  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 02.09.2012 um 17:59 schrieb Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Edward Tufte's website, there is a discussion on zebra coloring in tables[1]. One of the suggestion is to add a horizontal rule after every third line or shade three lines with one background color and the remaining three with another background color.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to do this with natural TABLEs? I can do something like:
>>
>> \setupTABLE[row][1,2,3][background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]
>> \setupTABLE[row][7,8,9][background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]
>>
>> but it requires knowing the number of lines in advance.
>>
>> Aditya
>>
>> [1]: http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0001IV
>
> Natural tables have “odd” and “even” keywords for \setupTABLE but none
> in the way you like it.

Well, I can always change what odd and even means :) (I also realized that
odd and even are just dummy values. I can change them to anything, and can
in fact even turn \v!oddeven to a switch statement that returns multiple
values)

\unprotect
\def\redefineoddeven% HACK
     {\def\v!oddeven##1% Return odd if in set 1-3, 7-9, etc. and even otherwise
         {\ctxcommand{doifelse(math.mod(##1-1,6) < 3)}\v!odd\v!even}}
\protect

\startsetups zebra:three
     \redefineoddeven
     \setupTABLE[frame=off,background=color]
     \setupTABLE[row][odd][backgroundcolor=blue]
     \setupTABLE[row][even][backgroundcolor=red]
\stopsetups

\starttext
\startTABLE[setups={zebra:three}]
   \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC \NR
   \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC \NR
   \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC \NR
   \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC \NR
   \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC \NR
   \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC \NR
   \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC \NR
   \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC \NR
   \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC \NR
   \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC \NR
   \NC A \NC B \NC C \NC \NR
\stopTABLE
\stoptext

> What I would do is to use a overlay in combination with metapost to
> create the background but there is no global register to access the
> current column/row of a cell, e.g. \currenttablecolumn (this name is
> already used by tables) and \currenttablerow.

Thanks for the hint. It is relatively easy to access the local counter for
a cell, and changing background colors dependon the current row works
well.

\defineconversion
     [triadcolors]
     [blue,blue,blue,red,red,red]

\startsetups zebra:three
     \setupTABLE[frame=off,background=color]
     \setupTABLE[row][backgroundcolor={\convertnumber{triadcolors}{\getvalue{m_tabl_ntb_positive_row}}}]
\stopsetups

If I need rules, I guess I can explicitly check for the value of \m_tabl_ntb_postive_pow
inside an overlay.

Thanks,
Aditya

* Re: Setting options for every n-th row in natural TABLEs
@ 2012-09-03  0:41   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-09-03  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012, Procházka Lukáš wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 17:59:55 +0200, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Edward Tufte's website, there is a discussion on zebra coloring in
>> tables[1]. One of the suggestion is to add a horizontal rule after every
>> third line or shade three lines with one background color and the
>> remaining three with another background color.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to do this with natural TABLEs? I can do something
>> like:
>>
>> \setupTABLE[row][1,2,3][background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]
>> \setupTABLE[row][7,8,9][background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]
>>
>> but it requires knowing the number of lines in advance.
>
> - it may be achieved by Lua, when the table has been defined as a Lua
> variable:

Thanks. This is useful when reading data from a file.

Aditya

* Re: Setting options for every n-th row in natural TABLEs
@ 2012-09-03  4:37     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-09-03  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.09.2012 um 02:39 schrieb Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>:

> If I need rules, I guess I can explicitly check for the value of \m_tabl_ntb_postive_pow inside an overlay.

This is a internal register and not meant for users, what we need is a real user level
command to access the row and column counter from TeX or Lua.

Wolfgang

* Re: Setting options for every n-th row in natural TABLEs
@ 2012-09-03  6:14   ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2012-09-03  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Natural tables have “odd” and “even” keywords for \setupTABLE but none in the way you like it. What I would do is to use a overlay in combination with metapost to create the background but there is no global register to access the current column/row of a cell, e.g. \currenttablecolumn (this name is already used by tables) and \currenttablerow.

... Maybe \currentTABLEcolumn (no collision with tables' \currenttablecolumn) and \currentTABLErow could be defined for this purpose.

Lukas

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]
Pontex s. r. o.      [mailto:pontex@pontex.cz] [http://www.pontex.cz]

Tel: +420 244 062 238
Fax: +420 244 461 038

* Re: Setting options for every n-th row in natural TABLEs
@ 2012-09-03 14:40     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-09-03 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 3 Sep 2012, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:

>> Natural tables have “odd” and “even” keywords for \setupTABLE but none in
>> the way you like it. What I would do is to use a overlay in combination
>> with metapost to create the background but there is no global register to
>> access the current column/row of a cell, e.g. \currenttablecolumn (this
>> name is already used by tables) and \currenttablerow.
>
> ... Maybe \currentTABLEcolumn (no collision with tables' \currenttablecolumn)
> and \currentTABLErow could be defined for this purpose.

I agree. In addition, \currentTABLEheaderrow, \currentTABLEheadercolumn,
\currentTABLEfooterrow, \currentTABLEfootercolumn, and the \max... version
of all of these are also useful at the user level.

Aditya

* Re: Setting options for every n-th row in natural TABLEs
@ 2012-09-04 14:34   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-09-04 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2-9-2012 20:58, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 02.09.2012 um 17:59 schrieb Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Edward Tufte's website, there is a discussion on zebra coloring in tables[1]. One of the suggestion is to add a horizontal rule after every third line or shade three lines with one background color and the remaining three with another background color.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to do this with natural TABLEs? I can do something like:
>>
>> \setupTABLE[row][1,2,3][background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]
>> \setupTABLE[row][7,8,9][background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]
>>
>> but it requires knowing the number of lines in advance.
>>
>> Aditya
>>
>> [1]: http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0001IV
>
> Natural tables have “odd” and “even” keywords for \setupTABLE but none in the way you like it. What I would do is to use a overlay in combination with metapost to create the background but there is no global register to access the current column/row of a cell, e.g. \currenttablecolumn (this name is already used by tables) and \currenttablerow.

I've added 4 status macros:

\starttext

\bTABLE
     \bTR
         \bTD
(\currentTABLErow,\currentTABLEcolumn,\nofTABLErows,\nofTABLEcolumns) \eTD
         \bTD
(\currentTABLErow,\currentTABLEcolumn,\nofTABLErows,\nofTABLEcolumns) \eTD
         \bTD
(\currentTABLErow,\currentTABLEcolumn,\nofTABLErows,\nofTABLEcolumns) \eTD
         \bTD
(\currentTABLErow,\currentTABLEcolumn,\nofTABLErows,\nofTABLEcolumns) \eTD
     \eTR
     \bTR
         \bTD
(\currentTABLErow,\currentTABLEcolumn,\nofTABLErows,\nofTABLEcolumns) \eTD
         \bTD
(\currentTABLErow,\currentTABLEcolumn,\nofTABLErows,\nofTABLEcolumns) \eTD
         \bTD
(\currentTABLErow,\currentTABLEcolumn,\nofTABLErows,\nofTABLEcolumns) \eTD
         \bTD
(\currentTABLErow,\currentTABLEcolumn,\nofTABLErows,\nofTABLEcolumns) \eTD
     \eTR
\eTABLE

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-09-04 15:21     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-09-04 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012, Hans Hagen wrote:

> I've added 4 status macros:
>
> \starttext
>
> \bTABLE
>    \bTR
>        \bTD
> (\currentTABLErow,\currentTABLEcolumn,\nofTABLErows,\nofTABLEcolumns) \eTD
>        \bTD
> (\currentTABLErow,\currentTABLEcolumn,\nofTABLErows,\nofTABLEcolumns) \eTD
>        \bTD
> (\currentTABLErow,\currentTABLEcolumn,\nofTABLErows,\nofTABLEcolumns) \eTD
>        \bTD
> (\currentTABLErow,\currentTABLEcolumn,\nofTABLErows,\nofTABLEcolumns) \eTD
>    \eTR
>    \bTR
>        \bTD
> (\currentTABLErow,\currentTABLEcolumn,\nofTABLErows,\nofTABLEcolumns) \eTD
>        \bTD
> (\currentTABLErow,\currentTABLEcolumn,\nofTABLErows,\nofTABLEcolumns) \eTD
>        \bTD
> (\currentTABLErow,\currentTABLEcolumn,\nofTABLErows,\nofTABLEcolumns) \eTD
>        \bTD
> (\currentTABLErow,\currentTABLEcolumn,\nofTABLErows,\nofTABLEcolumns) \eTD
>    \eTR
> \eTABLE
>
> \stoptext

Thanks!

Aditya

* Re: Setting options for every n-th row in natural TABLEs
@ 2012-09-04 17:33       ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2012-09-04 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/currentTABLErow
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/currentTABLEcolumn
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/nofTABLErows
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/nofTABLEcolumns

A bit of cutting, a bit of pasting ... the six-year-old in me is happy. :-)

--Sietse

* Re: Setting options for every n-th row in natural TABLEs
@ 2012-09-05  7:01         ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2012-09-05  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

... Thanks Hans for implementation and Sietse for wikifying.

BTW: Wouldn't be better to enclose ConText source on wiki into <context mode=mkiv source=yes> rather than <texcode> even if the source doesn't compile due to wiki-ConTeXt oldness?

I believe one day the wiki-ConTeXt engine will be updated and so all examples with the current result "(context error, something is wrong with the input)" will work.

Otherwise, inside <texcode> element, the result will never appear, which seems to me to be pity...

Best regards,

Lukas