From: "j. van den hoff" <veedeehjay@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: access to system fonts under MacOSX
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 21:24:08 +0100	[thread overview]

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 19:22:22 +0100, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> wrote:

> On 12/21/2014 06:37 PM, j. van den hoff wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 17:20:33 +0100, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>> On 12/21/2014 02:31 PM, j. van den hoff wrote:
>> [...]
>> as I wrote in the last mail, only the `courier new' fonts are
>> represented by actual font-files it seems (don't know what the *afm
>> files are). so if only those (and their abbreviations) were reported
>> I would not have any problem. but as it stands, `courier' is
>> reported as well -- but does not map to any actual font-file.
>
> .afm is an Adobe font metrics file. This is the way (old) PostScript
> fonts are designed. Font glyphs in PostScript fonts are cotained in .pfa
> or .pfb files.

I see.

> Wikipedia has a good article explaining PostScript fonts
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript_fonts). But unless you have an
> special interest, I’d simply ignore it.
>
> If I‘m not wrong, only system font files are listed with their path. The
> fonts that come with ConTeXt are listed, but their paths are ignored.
>
> BTW, this should work (if I’m not completely wrong [it doesn’t work on
> my system, because the courier fonts aren’t listed]):
>
>    \definefontfamily [mainface] [tt]  [courier]

no, that does not work (despite it being listed by `mtxrun...fonts'. I
need to specify 'courier new' here.

>>>     \definefontfamily [mainface] [sans]  [texgyreadventor]
>>>
>>> seems to be the right way to invoke the font.
>
> Sorry, I’m afraid my explanation was incomplete.
>
> adventor is the name of a(n already predefined) typescript. So you can
> use it with \setupbodyfont and \switchtobodyfont.
>
> texgyreadventor is the name of the typeface or font family. You should
> use it with \definefontfamily.
>
> But typefaces cannot be invoked with typescript names and typescripts
> cannot be invoked with typeface names.
>
> This is why \definefontfamily[mainface][sans][adventor] or
> \setupbodyfont[texgyreadventor] don’t work.
>
> Wolfgang will know that better, but [mainface] in the previous
> \definefontfamily is the new and easy way to create typescripts in
> ConTeXt.
>
> Using the full font name has the main advantage of not having to know
> whether a given name designs a typescript or a typeface ;-).
>
> I hope it will be clearer now. Let me know if it isn’t.

yes it is (to an extent ;-)). I'll keep this labeled for lookup...

but I'm already stumbling about the next thing. while playing around with
some nice fonts I also tried out `optima' (like palatino by h. zapf).
so that is what I see:

mtxrun --script font --list --all --name --pattern=*optima*

optima             optimaextrablack   /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc
index:  0
optimablack        optimaextrablack   /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc
index:  0
optimabold         optimabold         /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc
index:  3
optimabolditalic   optimabolditalic   /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc
index:  1
optimaextrablack   optimaextrablack   /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc
index:  0
optimaitalic       optimaitalic       /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc
index:  2
optimanormal       optimaitalic       /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc
index:  2
optimaregular      optimaregular      /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc
index:  4

then, when using, e.g.,

\definefontfamily [mainface] [serif] [Optima]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [sans]  [Optima]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [mono]  [dejavusansmono] [scale=0.865]
%dejavumono/optima x-height ratio
\definefontfamily [mainface] [math]  [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]
\setupbodyfont[mainface,11pt]

neither \it nor \bf (italic and bold) variants are working in the body
text (but are just rendered
in the regular \rm font). when using

\definefontfamily [mainface] [serif] [ebgaramond]

instead, \it _does_ work, while \bf is not available. _this_ I might
understand since there
seems to be no bold variant of that font in the texlive distro (only
'regular' and 'italic'.

but I would have thought that the different variants (italic, bold) can
always be expected to just work
if they are present (as they are for `optima')?

joerg