* enumeration of equations containing \mathcases
@ 2015-02-10 16:32 j. van den hoff
From: j. van den hoff @ 2015-02-10 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

hi list,

admittedly I've posted this problem two times 6-8 weeks ago already but
since I did not get a single
response (not even RTFM...) I try it now a third time (hoping this is not
considered spamming the list ...):

question: how can I get properly aligned enumeration of equations that use
`\mathcases'.

example:
8<--------------------------------------------------------------
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
bla bla bla bla bla bla
\placeformula
\startformula
      K_1 \rightarrow
      \startmathcases
         \NC f  \NC for $f \ll PS$ (flow limited transport)      \NR
         \NC PS \NC for $f \gg PS$ (diffusion limited transport) \NR[+]
      \stopmathcases
\stopformula
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
bla bla bla bla bla bla
\stoptext
8<--------------------------------------------------------------

does "subcases enumeration" in the second case but this is not aligned
with the right text margin so
it can not be used easily to "fake" the enumeration of the whole equation.
\placeformula on the
other hand does not print an equation number at all (contrary to what it
usually does.

I'm at a loss how to solve this...

thx,joerg

* Re: enumeration of equations containing \mathcases
@ 2015-02-10 17:25 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2015-02-10 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Joerg,

I use a math align environment, like the following:

%%%% begin
%% analogous to \cases
\definemathmatrix[alignedcases] %% <——— here you can give whatherver name you wish
		[align={right,left,left},
		distance=3pt,
		left={\left\{},
		right={\right.},
		style=\displaystyle]

\starttext
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
bla bla bla bla bla bla
\placeformula
\startformula
    K_1 \rightarrow
    \startalignedcases
       \NC f  \NC \mbox{ for }\,  f \ll PS,  \quad\mbox{(flow limited transport)}     \NR
       \NC PS \NC \mbox{ for }\, f \gg PS,\quad \mbox{(diffusion limited transport)} \NR
    \stopalignedcases
\stopformula
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
bla bla bla bla bla bla

\stoptext
%%%% end

However I don’t know how to number each subcases.

Best regards: OK

@ 2015-02-10 20:57   ` j. van den hoff
From: j. van den hoff @ 2015-02-10 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 18:25:25 +0100, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Joerg,

hi otared,

> I use a math align environment, like the following:
>
> %%%% begin
> %% analogous to \cases
> \definemathmatrix[alignedcases] %% <——— here you can give whatherver
> name you wish
> 		[align={right,left,left},
> 		distance=3pt,
> 		left={\left\{},
> 		right={\right.},
> 		style=\displaystyle]
>
> \starttext
> bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
> bla bla bla bla bla bla
> \placeformula
> \startformula
>     K_1 \rightarrow
>     \startalignedcases
>        \NC f  \NC \mbox{ for }\,  f \ll PS,  \quad\mbox{(flow limited
> transport)}     \NR
>        \NC PS \NC \mbox{ for }\, f \gg PS,\quad \mbox{(diffusion limited
> transport)} \NR
>     \stopalignedcases
> \stopformula
> bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
> bla bla bla bla bla bla
>
> \stoptext
> %%%% end

ah yes. that works... very good.

> However I don’t know how to number each subcases.

I do not need these, actually, right now. so you solved my problem just
fine.

@devs: what about the original \mathcases problem? should equation
numbering not work for that command, too?

but anyway: really thanks a lot for this solution!

joerg