* \setupcaptions question
@ 2015-02-12 16:37 j. van den hoff
From: j. van den hoff @ 2015-02-12 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I want to use `numberstopper' for figure caption customization like so:

\setupcaptions[numberstopper={:}]

this works fine for the caption itself (i.e. I get, e.g. "Figure 1:
caption text") _but_
references to the figure via a defined label such as [fig:example]
in the body text do include the numberstopper, too, which is highly
undesirable in my view, since, e.g.,

"... see Figure 1: for an example. ..."

should rather read

"... see Figure 1 for an example. ..."

i.e. the numberstopper should be omitted (at least optionally) when
referencing.

question: how can this be achieved?

thx/j

* Re: \setupcaptions question
@ 2015-02-12 21:18 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2015-02-12 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Joerg,

I think you are right when refering to a figure, the number stopper should not appear in the text.
It seems to me that using something like

	\setupcaption[figure][stopper={.}]

used to work in mkii and mkiv, but while it works in mkii, I just tried it with mkiv and found that it does not work as expected anymore.
So it is a bug introduced recently.
Probably Hans should be informed about it.

Best regards: OK

> On 12 Feb 2015, at 17:37, j. van den hoff <veedeehjay@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> I want to use `numberstopper' for figure caption customization like so:
>
> \setupcaptions[numberstopper={:}]
>
> this works fine for the caption itself (i.e. I get, e.g. "Figure 1:
> caption text") _but_
> references to the figure via a defined label such as [fig:example]
> in the body text do include the numberstopper, too, which is highly
> undesirable in my view, since, e.g.,
>
> "... see Figure 1: for an example. ..."
>
> should rather read
>
> "... see Figure 1 for an example. ..."
>
> i.e. the numberstopper should be omitted (at least optionally) when
> referencing.
>
> question: how can this be achieved?
>

> thx/j

* Re: \setupcaptions question
@ 2015-02-12 21:31 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-02-12 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 12.02.2015 um 17:37 schrieb j. van den hoff <veedeehjay@googlemail.com>:
>

> I want to use `numberstopper' for figure caption customization like so:
>
> \setupcaptions[numberstopper={:}]
>
> this works fine for the caption itself (i.e. I get, e.g. "Figure 1:
> caption text") _but_
> references to the figure via a defined label such as [fig:example]
> in the body text do include the numberstopper, too, which is highly
> undesirable in my view, since, e.g.,
>
> "... see Figure 1: for an example. ..."
>
> should rather read
>
> "... see Figure 1 for an example. ..."
>
> i.e. the numberstopper should be omitted (at least optionally) when
> referencing.
>
> question: how can this be achieved?

Can you make a example because I can’t reproduce the problem you describe.

\setupexternalfigure[location=default]

\setupcaption[figure][numberstopper=:]

\starttext

Take a look at \at{picture}[fig:cow] below.

\startplacefigure[reference=fig:cow,title=A dutch cow]
  \externalfigure[cow]
\stopplacefigure

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: \setupcaptions question
@ 2015-02-12 21:41   ` j. van den hoff
From: j. van den hoff @ 2015-02-12 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 22:18:51 +0100, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Joerg,

hi otared,

> I think you are right when refering to a figure, the number stopper
> should not appear in the text.
> It seems to me that using something like
>
> 	\setupcaption[figure][stopper={.}]
>
> used to work in mkii and mkiv, but while it works in mkii, I just tried
> it with mkiv and found that it does not work as expected anymore.

thanks for confirming this (I also did not know that it used to work in
mkii).

> So it is a bug introduced recently.
> Probably Hans should be informed about it.

the canonical 'communication channel' being which? this list? bug tracker?

best regards,

joerg

> Best regards: OK
>
>> On 12 Feb 2015, at 17:37, j. van den hoff <veedeehjay@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> I want to use `numberstopper' for figure caption customization like so:
>>
>> \setupcaptions[numberstopper={:}]
>>
>> this works fine for the caption itself (i.e. I get, e.g. "Figure 1:
>> caption text") _but_
>> references to the figure via a defined label such as [fig:example]
>> in the body text do include the numberstopper, too, which is highly
>> undesirable in my view, since, e.g.,
>>
>> "... see Figure 1: for an example. ..."
>>
>> should rather read
>>
>> "... see Figure 1 for an example. ..."
>>
>> i.e. the numberstopper should be omitted (at least optionally) when
>> referencing.
>>
>> question: how can this be achieved?
>>

>> thx/j

* Re: \setupcaptions question
@ 2015-02-12 21:56   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2015-02-12 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang, and Joerg,

Actually with your code and using numberstopper instead of stopper your example works fine here, too.
So the right command is
	\setupcaption[figure][numberstopper={:}]
and not what I wrote before (which works in mkii, though…).
Actually the command used by Joerg, that is
	\setupcaptions[numberstopper={:}]
works also.

Best regards: OK

> On 12 Feb 2015, at 22:31, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Am 12.02.2015 um 17:37 schrieb j. van den hoff <veedeehjay@googlemail.com>:
>>

>> I want to use `numberstopper' for figure caption customization like so:
>>
>> \setupcaptions[numberstopper={:}]
>>
>> this works fine for the caption itself (i.e. I get, e.g. "Figure 1:
>> caption text") _but_
>> references to the figure via a defined label such as [fig:example]
>> in the body text do include the numberstopper, too, which is highly
>> undesirable in my view, since, e.g.,
>>
>> "... see Figure 1: for an example. ..."
>>
>> should rather read
>>
>> "... see Figure 1 for an example. ..."
>>
>> i.e. the numberstopper should be omitted (at least optionally) when
>> referencing.
>>
>> question: how can this be achieved?
>

> Can you make a example because I can’t reproduce the problem you describe.
>
> \setupexternalfigure[location=default]
>
> \setupcaption[figure][numberstopper=:]
>
> \starttext
>
> Take a look at \at{picture}[fig:cow] below.
>
> \startplacefigure[reference=fig:cow,title=A dutch cow]
>  \externalfigure[cow]
> \stopplacefigure
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: \setupcaptions question
@ 2015-02-12 22:14     ` j. van den hoff
From: j. van den hoff @ 2015-02-12 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 22:56:11 +0100, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Wolfgang, and Joerg,
>
> Actually with your code and using numberstopper instead of stopper your
> example works fine here, too.
> So the right command is
> 	\setupcaption[figure][numberstopper={:}]
> and not what I wrote before (which works in mkii, though…).
> Actually the command used by Joerg, that is
> 	\setupcaptions[numberstopper={:}]
> works also.
>
> Best regards: OK
>
>> On 12 Feb 2015, at 22:31, Wolfgang Schuster
>> <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Am 12.02.2015 um 17:37 schrieb j. van den hoff
>>> <veedeehjay@googlemail.com>:
>>>

>>> I want to use `numberstopper' for figure caption customization like so:
>>>
>>> \setupcaptions[numberstopper={:}]
>>>
>>> this works fine for the caption itself (i.e. I get, e.g. "Figure 1:
>>> caption text") _but_
>>> references to the figure via a defined label such as [fig:example]
>>> in the body text do include the numberstopper, too, which is highly
>>> undesirable in my view, since, e.g.,
>>>
>>> "... see Figure 1: for an example. ..."
>>>
>>> should rather read
>>>
>>> "... see Figure 1 for an example. ..."
>>>
>>> i.e. the numberstopper should be omitted (at least optionally) when
>>> referencing.
>>>
>>> question: how can this be achieved?
>>

>> Can you make a example because I can’t reproduce the problem you
>> describe.

I have done that right now (problem definitely there) but then looked at
the difference between my syntax
and yours. I used something like

\setupexternalfigures [directory={.}]
\setupcaption[width=.95\textwidth, location=bottom, numberstopper={:}]

\starttext
An illustration of this process is given in Fig.~\in[fig:convosim].
\stoptext

changing the referencing to

An illustration of this process is given in Fig.~\at[fig:convosim].

i.e. replacing `\in' by `\at' resolves the issue. I'm rather new to
context and was under the impression that `\in' is the
context equivalent of latex's \ref and was not aware of \at at all.
but this seems only partly true. can you give me a pointer where best to
look up the
differences between `\in' and `\at'?

so it seems I need to use \at for referencing figures, at least when
numberstopper is not empty? ok, so be it ....

and thanks a lot for responding and straightening this out.

best,

joerg

>> \setupexternalfigure[location=default]
>>
>> \setupcaption[figure][numberstopper=:]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> Take a look at \at{picture}[fig:cow] below.
>>
>> \startplacefigure[reference=fig:cow,title=A dutch cow]
>>  \externalfigure[cow]
>> \stopplacefigure
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Wolfgang

* Re: \setupcaptions question
@ 2015-02-13  3:54       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-02-13  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Can you make a example because I can’t reproduce the problem you describe.
>
> I have done that right now (problem definitely there) but then looked at the difference between my syntax
> and yours. I used something like
>
> \setupexternalfigures [directory={.}]
> \setupcaption[width=.95\textwidth, location=bottom, numberstopper={:}]
>
> \starttext
> An illustration of this process is given in Fig.~\in[fig:convosim].
> \stoptext
>
> changing the referencing to
>
> An illustration of this process is given in Fig.~\at[fig:convosim].
>
> i.e. replacing `\in' by `\at' resolves the issue. I'm rather new to context and was under the impression that `\in' is the
> context equivalent of latex's \ref and was not aware of \at at all.
> but this seems only partly true. can you give me a pointer where best to look up the
> differences between `\in' and `\at'?
>
> so it seems I need to use \at for referencing figures, at least when numberstopper is not empty? ok, so be it ....

No, you’re right. I used the wrong command (\at is used to show the page where to float was placed)
and so far there is only a workaround for this problem. What you can do is to use the “suffix” key to set
a stopper for the caption which will only appear in the caption itself.

\setupexternalfigure[location=default]

\setupcaption[figure][suffix=:]

\starttext

Take a look at \in{picture}[fig:cow] below.

\startplacefigure[reference=fig:cow,title=A dutch cow]
  \externalfigure[cow]
\stopplacefigure

\stoptext

This solution is far from perfect because normally the suffix key is used for the internal counter
of split floats, e.g. when a numbered table is split over several tables and you get numbers label
„Table 3.a” etc.

Wolfgang

* Re: \setupcaptions question
@ 2015-02-13  7:53         ` j. van den hoff
From: j. van den hoff @ 2015-02-13  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 04:54:58 +0100, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, you’re right. I used the wrong command (\at is used to show the page
> where to float was placed)

understood.

> and so far there is only a workaround for this problem. What you can do

OK, does this require some sort of formal bug report or can the issue be
now considered to be on the "to do" list?

> is to use the “suffix” key to set
> a stopper for the caption which will only appear in the caption itself.
> \setupexternalfigure[location=default]
> \setupcaption[figure][suffix=:]
> \starttext
> Take a look at \in{picture}[fig:cow] below.
> \startplacefigure[reference=fig:cow,title=A dutch cow]
>   \externalfigure[cow]
> \stopplacefigure
> \stoptext
> This solution is far from perfect because normally the suffix key is
> used for the internal counter
> of split floats, e.g. when a numbered table is split over several tables
> and you get numbers label
> „Table 3.a” etc.

I see. I think workaround will suffice for the present document, thank
you. I will
do that (and hope for a timely fix so that I can revert to numberstopper
soon...)

regards,
joerg

> Wolfgang

* Re: \setupcaptions question
@ 2015-03-10 12:06           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-03-10 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 13.02.2015 um 08:53 schrieb j. van den hoff <veedeehjay@googlemail.com>:
>
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 04:54:58 +0100, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No, you’re right. I used the wrong command (\at is used to show the page where to float was placed)
>
> understood.
>
>> and so far there is only a workaround for this problem. What you can do
>
> OK, does this require some sort of formal bug report or can the issue be
> now considered to be on the "to do" list?
>
>> is to use the “suffix” key to set
>> a stopper for the caption which will only appear in the caption itself.
>> \setupexternalfigure[location=default]
>> \setupcaption[figure][suffix=:]
>> \starttext
>> Take a look at \in{picture}[fig:cow] below.
>> \startplacefigure[reference=fig:cow,title=A dutch cow]
>>  \externalfigure[cow]
>> \stopplacefigure
>> \stoptext
>> This solution is far from perfect because normally the suffix key is used for the internal counter
>> of split floats, e.g. when a numbered table is split over several tables and you get numbers label
>> „Table 3.a” etc.
>
> I see. I think workaround will suffice for the present document, thank you. I will
> do that (and hope for a timely fix so that I can revert to numberstopper soon…)

The new beta let you change the stopper symbol which is shown in the reference,
to disable the stopper you have to use “numberstopper={\symbol[none]}”.

\setupexternalfigure[location=default]

\setupcaption[figure][numberstopper=:]
\setupreferencestructureprefix[figure][default][numberstopper={\symbol[none]}]

@ 2015-02-12 16:21 joerg van den hoff