From: "Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد" <ishamid@colostate.edu>
Subject: Re: Does a "half-space" or small space exist in ConTeXt?
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 07:13:05 -0600	[thread overview]

Hi Robert,

All the suggestions you have received are good, but ultimately you might
want to look at the spaces that Unicode provides, for example 202F. Not
sure sure which Unicode space character best suits your needs, but once
you have determined that, you can map it to one of the commands suggested
by others, or even define it to the exact width you want. For example, I
use imacron (U+012B) so much that it clashes with other characters. So I
map it to an alternate version that has a thinner macron:

\defineactivecharacter ī {\fontchar{imacron.alt}}

So what you want is a unicode space character that you can enter in your
editor, then define it in ConTeXt to exactly what you want.

Best wishes
Idris

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 05:24:51 -0600, Robert Blackstone
<blackstone.robert@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to use something like a "half-space" or small space in a
> situation where neither no space, nor a normal space is ideal.
> See the ME:
> ---------------------------------
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \setmainfont[Verdana]
> \setupbodyfont[10pt]
> \starttext
> On the third beat a 6th between bass and tenor, {\em \lohi{B}{g}}, moves
> to the octave {\em \lohi{A}{a} .
> \medskip
> On the third beat a 6th between bass and tenor, {\em \lohi{B}{g}} ,
> moves to the octave {\em \lohi{A}{a}} .
> \stoptext
> --------------------------------
>
> Without a space after {\em \lohi{B}{g}}, the normal situation, the comma
> is too close to the B, (and the period too close to the A), suggesting
> some superscript.
> A normal space does not look nice (but if necessary I could live with it)
>
> Is there an intermediate size for a space somehow?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bets regards,
> Robert Blackstone

Idris Samawi Hamid