* indentnext=auto
@ 2015-03-17 20:30 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2015-03-17 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear gang,

For export we have to tag paragraphs. After block quotes, itemizations,
etc, the context determines whether the first line of the next paragraph
should be indented, so we use the indentnext=auto mechanism. But with
\start|stopparagraph it doesn't seem to work: See attached.

====================
\setupindenting[big,yes]
% Do not indent the first line of a block quote
\setupdelimitedtext[blockquote][before={\blank[medium]
\setupindenting[no]},after={\blank[medium]}]
% Do not indent the first line after a block quote
\setupdelimitedtext[blockquote][indentnext=auto]

\starttext
\startparagraph
\input ward
\stopparagraph

\startblockquote
\input ward
\stopblockquote

\startparagraph
\input ward
\stopparagraph

\startblockquote
\input ward
\stopblockquote
\startparagraph
\input ward
\stopparagraph
\stoptext
====================

 From what I understand, if [indentnext=auto] is activated then a blank
line after the environment should activate indenting; no blank line after
the environment should impede indenting.

In this example, we get no indentation either way. Am I missing something,
or is it a bug?

By the way, something like

\setupdelimitedtext[blockquote][indentnext=yes]

\startparagraph[indenting=no]
\input ward
\stopparagraph

would be a nice feature. Any chance?

Best wishes
Idris
--
Idris Samawi Hamid
Professor of Philosophy

[-- Attachment #2: test-paragraph.tex --]

[-- Attachment #3: test-paragraph.pdf --]

* Re: indentnext=auto
@ 2015-03-17 21:04 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-03-17 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 17.03.2015 um 21:30 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد <ishamid@colostate.edu>:
>
> Dear gang,
>
> For export we have to tag paragraphs. After block quotes, itemizations, etc, the context determines whether the first line of the next paragraph should be indented, so we use the indentnext=auto mechanism. But with \start|stopparagraph it doesn't seem to work: See attached.
>
> ====================
> \setupindenting[big,yes]
> % Do not indent the first line of a block quote
> \setupdelimitedtext[blockquote][before={\blank[medium] \setupindenting[no]},after={\blank[medium]}]

\setupdelimitedtext
  [blockquote]
  [spacebefore=medium,
   spaceafter=medium,
   indenting=no]

> % Do not indent the first line after a block quote
> \setupdelimitedtext[blockquote][indentnext=auto]
>
> \starttext
> \startparagraph
> \input ward
> \stopparagraph
>
> \startblockquote
> \input ward
> \stopblockquote
>
> \startparagraph
> \input ward
> \stopparagraph
>
> \startblockquote
> \input ward
> \stopblockquote
> \startparagraph
> \input ward
> \stopparagraph
> \stoptext
> ====================
>
> From what I understand, if [indentnext=auto] is activated then a blank line after the environment should activate indenting; no blank line after the environment should impede indenting.
>
> In this example, we get no indentation either way. Am I missing something, or is it a bug?

It’s bug in the delimited text mechanism (typo-del.mkvi), a \aftergroup is missing before \dorechecknextindentation.

\def\typo_delimited_stop_par
  {\removeunwantedspaces
   \removelastskip
   \rightdelimitedtextmark
   \carryoverpar\endgroup % new per 2013-01-21 ... please left floats
   \popmacro\checkindentation
   \typo_delimited_stop_par_indeed
   \delimitedtextparameter\c!after
   \edef\p_delimited_spaceafter{\delimitedtextparameter\c!spaceafter}%
   \ifx\p_delimited_spaceafter\empty \else
     \blank[\p_delimited_spaceafter]%
   \fi
   \useindentnextparameter\delimitedtextparameter
-  \dorechecknextindentation}% AM: This was missing!
+  \aftergroup\dorechecknextindentation}% AM: This was missing!

> By the way, something like
>
> \setupdelimitedtext[blockquote][indentnext=yes]
>
> \startparagraph[indenting=no]
> \input ward
> \stopparagraph
>
> would be a nice feature. Any chance?

\startsetups[paragraph:noindent]
	\setupindenting[no]
\stopsetups

\defineparagraph[noindent][setups=paragraph:noindent]

\setupindenting[yes,big]

\starttext

\startparagraph
\input ward
\stopparagraph

\startparagraph[noindent]
\input ward
\stopparagraph

\startparagraph
\input ward
\stopparagraph

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: indentnext=auto
@ 2015-03-17 23:50   ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2015-03-17 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 15:04:32 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Am 17.03.2015 um 21:30 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد

>> ====================
>> \setupindenting[big,yes]
>> % Do not indent the first line of a block quote
>> \setupdelimitedtext[blockquote][before={\blank[medium]
>> \setupindenting[no]},after={\blank[medium]}]
>
> \setupdelimitedtext
>   [blockquote]
>   [spacebefore=medium,
>    spaceafter=medium,
>    indenting=no]

Duly noted, thanks!

>> From what I understand, if [indentnext=auto] is activated then a blank
>> line after the environment should activate indenting; no blank line
>> after the environment should impede indenting.
>>
>> In this example, we get no indentation either way. Am I missing
>> something, or is it a bug?
>
> It’s bug in the delimited text mechanism (typo-del.mkvi), a \aftergroup
> is missing before \dorechecknextindentation.
>
> \def\typo_delimited_stop_par
>   {\removeunwantedspaces
>    \removelastskip
>    \rightdelimitedtextmark
>    \carryoverpar\endgroup % new per 2013-01-21 ... please left floats
>    \popmacro\checkindentation
>    \typo_delimited_stop_par_indeed
>    \delimitedtextparameter\c!after
>    \edef\p_delimited_spaceafter{\delimitedtextparameter\c!spaceafter}%
>    \ifx\p_delimited_spaceafter\empty \else
>      \blank[\p_delimited_spaceafter]%
>    \fi
>    \useindentnextparameter\delimitedtextparameter
> -  \dorechecknextindentation}% AM: This was missing!
> +  \aftergroup\dorechecknextindentation}% AM: This was missing!

Wow, so a bug indeed... I hope Hans is reading this -)

>> By the way, something like
>>
>> \setupdelimitedtext[blockquote][indentnext=yes]
>>
>> \startparagraph[indenting=no]
>> \input ward
>> \stopparagraph
>>
>> would be a nice feature. Any chance?
>
> \startsetups[paragraph:noindent]
> 	\setupindenting[no]
> \stopsetups
>
> \defineparagraph[noindent][setups=paragraph:noindent]
>
> \setupindenting[yes,big]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startparagraph
> \input ward
> \stopparagraph
>
> \startparagraph[noindent]
> \input ward
> \stopparagraph
>
> \startparagraph
> \input ward
> \stopparagraph
>
> \stoptext

Wonderful, this is so much better than an explicit \noindentation. I
really need to spend some time to learn the power of setups! Thanks a
million, Wolfgang, and

Best wishes
Idris
--
Idris Samawi Hamid
Professor of Philosophy

* Re: indentnext=auto
@ 2015-03-18  0:21   ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2015-03-18  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 15:04:32 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> \startsetups[paragraph:noindent]
> 	\setupindenting[no]
> \stopsetups
> \defineparagraph[noindent][setups=paragraph:noindent]
> \setupindenting[yes,big]
> \starttext
> \startparagraph
> \input ward
> \stopparagraph
> \startparagraph[noindent]
> \input ward
> \stopparagraph
> \startparagraph
> \input ward
> \stopparagraph
> \stoptext

The opposite scenario doesn't work, viz.

==========
% setup paragraph indents
\startsetups[paragraph:indent]
	\setupindenting[big,yes]
\stopsetups
\defineparagraph[indent][setups=paragraph:indent]
==========

But this appears to work:

==========
% setup paragraph indents
\startsetups[paragraph:indent]
	\indentation
\stopsetups
\defineparagraph[indent][setups=paragraph:indent]
==========

So there is significant difference in the \setupindenting[yes] case. For
consistency we may as well go with

=================
\startsetups[paragraph:indent]
	\indentation
\stopsetups
\defineparagraph[indent][setups=paragraph:indent]
\startsetups[paragraph:noindent]
	\noindentation
\stopsetups
\defineparagraph[noindent][setups=paragraph:noindent]

This entire approach is better and wiser than indentnext=auto anyway.
Thanks again, Wolfgang, and

Best wishes
Idris
--