[Sent this a couple of days ago, maybe will get some takers this time -)] Dear syndicate, Not sure if there is a canonical way to do numbered paragraphs. In the following, I use subsections to mimic numbered paragraphs: =======section-intext.tex======= \setuphead[section][style=\bfa,after={\blank[big]},before={\blank[big,medium]},color=walayahblue] \setuphead[subsection][style=\bf,after={\blank[big]},before={\blank[big,medium]},color=walayahgreen,alternative=text,distance=0.28em] \setuphead[subsubsection][style=\tf,after={\blank[big]},before={\blank[big,medium]},color=walayahred,alternative=text,distance=0.28em] \starttext \startsection[title=Section 1] \startsubsection \input ward \stopsubsection \startsubsection[title=Paragraph 2] \input ward \stopsubsection \startsubsection \startparagraph \input ward \stopparagraph \stopsubsection \stopsection \stoptext ============== See attached output. In paragraphs 1 and 2, there is too much distance between the subsection number (subsection number + title in paragraph 2) and between the text. The distance parameter is not appropriate here, it is the distance *after* the section head that needs adjustment (even if the text portion of the head (i.e., the section title) is empty). Question 1: How do we fix the post-head distance? Paragraph three shows that one apparently cannot mix this sectioning approach with the \start-stopparagraph mechanism. Question 2: Is there a way to mix \start-stopparagraph with the above subsection approach to par numbering? I suppose that as long as I maintain exactly one paragraph per subsection, then structured output (xml etc.) should look ok. Question 3: Is there a wiser way to handle this kind of par numbering in mkiv? Thanks in advance! Idris -- Idris Samawi Hamid, Professor Department of Philosophy Colorado State University Fort Collins, CO 80512