* methods for numbered paragraphs
@ 2017-08-04  4:36 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2017-08-04  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear syndicate,

Not sure if there is a canonical way to do numbered paragraphs. In the
following, I use subsections to mimic numbered paragraphs:

=======section-intext.tex=======
\setuphead[section][style=\bfa,after={\blank[big]},before={\blank[big,medium]},color=walayahblue]
\setuphead[subsection][style=\bf,after={\blank[big]},before={\blank[big,medium]},color=walayahgreen,alternative=text,distance=0.28em]
\setuphead[subsubsection][style=\tf,after={\blank[big]},before={\blank[big,medium]},color=walayahred,alternative=text,distance=0.28em]

\starttext
\startsection[title=Section 1]
\startsubsection
\input ward
\stopsubsection

\startsubsection[title=Paragraph 2]
\input ward
\stopsubsection

\startsubsection
\startparagraph
\input ward
\stopparagraph
\stopsubsection
\stopsection
\stoptext
==============

See attached output.

In paragraphs 1 and 2, there is too much distance between the subsection
number (subsection number + title in paragraph 2) and between the text.
The distance parameter is not appropriate here, it is the distance *after*
the section head that needs adjustment (even if the text portion of the
head (i.e., the section title) is empty).

Question 1: How do we fix the post-head distance?

Paragraph three shows that one apparently cannot mix this sectioning
approach with the \start-stopparagraph mechanism.

Question 2: Is there a way to mix \start-stopparagraph with the above
subsection approach to par numbering?

I suppose that as long as I maintain exactly one paragraph per subsection,
then structured output  (xml etc.) should look ok.

Question 3: Is there a wiser way to handle this kind of par numbering in
mkiv?

Thanks in advance!

Idris
--
Idris Samawi Hamid, Professor
Department of Philosophy

[-- Attachment #2: section-intext.pdf --]

* Re: methods for numbered paragraphs
@ 2017-08-06  9:09 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2017-08-06  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد

> Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد <mailto:Idris.Hamid@colostate.edu>
> 4. August 2017 um 06:36
> Dear syndicate,
>
> Not sure if there is a canonical way to do numbered paragraphs. In the
> following, I use subsections to mimic numbered paragraphs:
>
> =======section-intext.tex=======
> \setuphead[section][style=\bfa,after={\blank[big]},before={\blank[big,medium]},color=walayahblue]
>
> \setuphead[subsection][style=\bf,after={\blank[big]},before={\blank[big,medium]},color=walayahgreen,alternative=text,distance=0.28em]
>
> \setuphead[subsubsection][style=\tf,after={\blank[big]},before={\blank[big,medium]},color=walayahred,alternative=text,distance=0.28em]
>

> \starttext
> \startsection[title=Section 1]
> \startsubsection
> \input ward
> \stopsubsection
>
> \startsubsection[title=Paragraph 2]
> \input ward
> \stopsubsection
>
> \startsubsection
> \startparagraph
> \input ward
> \stopparagraph
> \stopsubsection
> \stopsection
> \stoptext
> ==============
>
> See attached output.
>
> In paragraphs 1 and 2, there is too much distance between the subsection
> number (subsection number + title in paragraph 2) and between the text.
> The distance parameter is not appropriate here, it is the distance
> *after*
> the section head that needs adjustment (even if the text portion of the
> head (i.e., the section title) is empty).
>
> Question 1: How do we fix the post-head distance?
>
> Paragraph three shows that one apparently cannot mix this sectioning
> approach with the \start-stopparagraph mechanism.
>
> Question 2: Is there a way to mix \start-stopparagraph with the above
> subsection approach to par numbering?
>
> I suppose that as long as I maintain exactly one paragraph per
> subsection,
> then structured output  (xml etc.) should look ok.
>
> Question 3: Is there a wiser way to handle this kind of par numbering in
> mkiv?

\setupwhitespace[big]

\definelabel[ParagraphNumber][text=Paragraph,closesymbol={\hspace[big]}]

\setupparagraphintro[each][\ParagraphNumber]

\starttext

\section{Section}

\input ward

\input ward

\input ward

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: methods for numbered paragraphs
@ 2017-08-06 13:00   ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2017-08-06 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

On Sun, 06 Aug 2017 03:09:16 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> \setupwhitespace[big]
> \definelabel[ParagraphNumber][text=Paragraph,closesymbol={\hspace[big]}]
> \setupparagraphintro[each][\ParagraphNumber]
> \starttext
> \section{Section}
> \input ward
> \input ward
> \input ward
> \stoptext

Thanks for this. Note:

=======
\setupwhitespace[big]

% \definelabel[ParagraphNumber][text=Paragraph,closesymbol={\hspace[big]}]
\definelabel[ParagraphNumber][text=,closesymbol={\hspace[big]}]

\setupparagraphintro[each][\ParagraphNumber]

\starttext

\section{Section}

\input ward

\input ward

\input ward

\stoptext
=======

For simple essays, this is sufficient. But see the reply to the list from
a few hours ago ("Re: [NTG-context] methods for numbered paragraphs (ii)")
and the two dropbox examples. We want to be able to go further, in the
spirit of the numbering system used by Ludwig Wittgenstein in the
Tractatus.

Idris