From: "Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد" <Idris.Hamid@colostate.edu>
Cc: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: methods for numbered paragraphs (ii)
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2017 07:54:42 -0600	[thread overview]

On Sat, 05 Aug 2017 21:28:30 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
<Idris.Hamid@colostate.edu> wrote:

> The parameter insidesection= helps:
>
> ============================
> \setupwhitespace[big]
>
> \def\SPACE#1{#1\hskip2em\hbox{}}
> \setuphead[section]
>     [style=\bf,
>      after={\blank[big]},
>      before={\blank[big,medium]},
>      color=walayahgreen,
>      alternative=text,
>      insidesection=\hskip-1.2em]
>      % textcommand=\SPACE]
> \setuphead[subsection]
>     [style=\bf,
>      after={\blank[big]},
>      before={\blank[big,medium]},
>      color=walayahgreen,
>      alternative=text,
>      insidesection=\hskip-1.2em]
> \setuphead[subsubsection]
>     [style=\bf,
>      after={\blank[big]},
>      before={\blank[big,medium]},
>      color=walayahgreen,
>      alternative=text,
>      insidesection=\hskip-1.2em]
>
> \define[1]\PARHEAD {{\bf{#1}}}
>
> \starttext
> \starttitle[title=Section 1]
> \startsection[title=Paragraph 1]
> \input ward
> \stopsection
>
> \startsection
> \PARHEAD{Paragraph 2.} \input ward
>
> \startparagraph
> \input ward
> \stopparagraph
>
> \startsubsection
> \input ward
> \startsubsubsection
> \input ward
> \stopsubsubsection
> \stopsubsection
> \stopsection
>
> \startsection
> \input ward
> \startsubsubsection
> \input ward
> \stopsubsubsection
> \stopsection
> \stoptitle
> \stoptext
> ============================
>
> Paragraph 1 shows that we cannot use the normal title= mechanism and
> maintain consistent spacing.
>
> Paragraph 2 does not use the \start|stopparagraph mechanism, but the
> succeeding non-numbered paragraph does.
>
> CHALLENGES:
>
> 1. See the following:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/wckt0zm0zfpx721/numbered-paragraphs-indent.pdf?dl=0
>
> The first numbered paragraph is not indented, but the second onward is.
> How can we automate this?
>
> 2. See attached. Consider the following snippet:
>
> \startsection
> \input ward
> \startsubsubsection
> \input ward
> \stopsubsubsection
> \stopsection
>
> The paragraph number comes out as 3, but the subsubparagraph as 1. What
> we want is
>
> 3 <par>
> 3.01 <par>

> [...]

In addition to the two dropbox links above, see the following:

https://people.umass.edu/klement/tlp/tlp.html#bodytext
https://people.umass.edu/klement/tlp/tlp.pdf

The dropbox links (from Introduction to Hegel by GRG Mure) illustrate a
combination of Wittgenstein numbering with paragraph indentation. So it is
something of a hybrid between sectioning and paragraph numbering.

NOTE: A full implementation of Wittgenstein numbering is not required, and
would probably not be wise except in the context of producing a ConTeXt
edition of the Tractatus (something of zero interest to this writer).
Indeed, Wittgenstein's numbering system is inconsistent or obscure in
places... What we are looking for is something actually sane-)

1. If we take the sectioning approach outlined above, then the challenges
are

i)  indent a section after a title; and
ii) implement something not identical to but in the spirit of wittgenstein
numbers, e.g., where a subsubsection follows a section:

3 <par>     % section
3.01 <par>  % subsubsection

4 <par>     % section
4.1 <par>   % subsection
4.11 <par>  % subsubsection

But this may be difficult to automate except for simple cases.

Something along the lines of the following would be a sufficient (and
easier) first step for the current project, although we may want to
revisit the above for the future:

3 <par>     % section
3.0.1 <par>  % subsubsection

4 <par>     % section
4.1 <par>   % subsection
4.1.1 <par>  % subsubsection

How can we automate this?

2. There may be better approaches than the sectioning model outlined in
the previous message.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Idris
--