* math font fallback for palatino \cal
@ 2016-08-14 18:33 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2016-08-14 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear gang,

Using pagella (palatino) for a project here. Unfortunately
texgyrepagella-math.otf has a rather unattractive set of \cal caps;
schola, termes, bonum etc. all use the same and much better-looking set.

So I decided to try and define a palatino math set with the \cal caps from
schola (= termes etc.). Succeeded after some trial and error: attached are
the positive results. Others may find the experiment useful or even worth
wikifying; it's a nice fallback exercise.

Maybe there is a better or more up-to-date way to do this: In any case,
feel free to critique the attached.

Best wishes
Idris
--
Idris Samawi Hamid
Professor of Philosophy

[-- Attachment #2: test-math_cg.tex --]

[-- Attachment #3: test-math_cg.pdf --]

* Re: math font fallback for palatino \cal
@ 2016-08-14 18:53 ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2016-08-14 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 12:33:53 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
<Idris.Hamid@colostate.edu> wrote:

> Dear gang,
>
> Using pagella (palatino) for a project here. Unfortunately
> texgyrepagella-math.otf has a rather unattractive set of \cal caps;
> schola, termes, bonum etc. all use the same and much better-looking set.
>
> So I decided to try and define a palatino math set with the \cal caps
> from schola (= termes etc.). Succeeded after some trial and error:
> attached are the positive results. Others may find the experiment useful
> or even worth wikifying; it's a nice fallback exercise.
>
> Maybe there is a better or more up-to-date way to do this: In any case,
> feel free to critique the attached.

Decided to support lower-case \cal as well;attached.

--
Idris Samawi Hamid
Professor of Philosophy

[-- Attachment #2: test-math_cg.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: test-math_cg.tex --]

* Re: math font fallback for palatino \cal
@ 2016-08-14 19:17 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-08-14 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد <mailto:Idris.Hamid@colostate.edu>
> 14. August 2016 um 20:33
> Dear gang,
>
> Using pagella (palatino) for a project here. Unfortunately
> texgyrepagella-math.otf has a rather unattractive set of \cal caps;
> schola, termes, bonum etc. all use the same and much better-looking set.
>
> So I decided to try and define a palatino math set with the \cal caps
> from schola (= termes etc.). Succeeded after some trial and error:
> attached are the positive results. Others may find the experiment
> useful or even worth wikifying; it's a nice fallback exercise.
>
> Maybe there is a better or more up-to-date way to do this: In any
> case, feel free to critique the attached.
You can save a few lines for your font setup when you use the
\definefontfamily and \definefallbackfamily commands.

\definefontfamily     [palatino_cg] [rm] [TeX Gyre Pagella]
\definefallbackfamily [palatino_cg] [mm] [TeX Gyre Schola Math]
[range={lowercasescript,lowercaseboldscript,uppercasescript,uppercaseboldscript},force=yes]
\definefontfamily     [palatino_cg] [mm] [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]

\setupbodyfont[palatino]

\starttext

\m{\cal ABCDEFG \quad \bf ABCDEFG}

\switchtobodyfont[palatino_cg]

\m{\cal ABCDEFG \quad \bf ABCDEFG}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: math font fallback for palatino \cal
@ 2016-08-14 20:07   ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2016-08-14 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 13:17:35 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد <mailto:Idris.Hamid@colostate.edu>
>> 14. August 2016 um 20:33
>> Dear gang,
>>
>> Using pagella (palatino) for a project here. Unfortunately
>> texgyrepagella-math.otf has a rather unattractive set of \cal caps;
>> schola, termes, bonum etc. all use the same and much better-looking set.
>>
>> So I decided to try and define a palatino math set with the \cal caps
>> from schola (= termes etc.). Succeeded after some trial and error:
>> attached are the positive results. Others may find the experiment
>> useful or even worth wikifying; it's a nice fallback exercise.
>>
>> Maybe there is a better or more up-to-date way to do this: In any
>> case, feel free to critique the attached.
> You can save a few lines for your font setup when you use the
> \definefontfamily and \definefallbackfamily commands.
>
> \definefontfamily     [palatino_cg] [rm] [TeX Gyre Pagella]
> \definefallbackfamily [palatino_cg] [mm] [TeX Gyre Schola Math]
> [range={lowercasescript,lowercaseboldscript,uppercasescript,uppercaseboldscript},force=yes]
> \definefontfamily     [palatino_cg] [mm] [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]
>
> \setupbodyfont[palatino]
>
> \starttext
>
> \m{\cal ABCDEFG \quad \bf ABCDEFG}
>
> \switchtobodyfont[palatino_cg]
>
> \m{\cal ABCDEFG \quad \bf ABCDEFG}
>
> \stoptext

Wonderful, Wolfgang, just wonderful. Lots to learn and explore... And some
info here:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/definefontfamily

Thanks again!
--