* yearly current
@ 2017-02-15 19:08 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-02-15 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

We're getting close to tex live freeze and part of that process is a
luatex release as well as a context snapshot. There have been no betas
for a while and the reason is that I've been cleaning up some code as
well as optimizing some bits. As a consequence it could be that there
are some issues with an upcoming luatex / context pair but because there
has been no real fundamental changes in the typesetting part problems
will be easy to sort out (like using an undefine lua function or so).

Anyway, if you are not that adventurous or depend on the current
version, you can best make a copy or not update from the garden too
eager, just wait till the lists reports no crashes.

We will try to fix luatex/context things as fast as possible,

Hans
Luigi

* Re: yearly current
@ 2017-02-15 19:49 ` j. van den hoff
From: j. van den hoff @ 2017-02-15 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 20:08:53 +0100, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're getting close to tex live freeze and part of that process is a
> luatex release as well as a context snapshot. There have been no betas
> for a while and the reason is that I've been cleaning up some code as
> well as optimizing some bits. As a consequence it could be that there
> are some issues with an upcoming luatex / context pair but because there
> has been no real fundamental changes in the typesetting part problems
> will be easy to sort out (like using an undefine lua function or so).
>
> Anyway, if you are not that adventurous or depend on the current
> version, you can best make a copy or not update from the garden too
> eager, just wait till the lists reports no crashes.
>
> We will try to fix luatex/context things as fast as possible,

hi,

it _might_ be that I have been just bitten by this (or it is completely
unrelated ;-)): I have previously installed standalone context on a mac
w/o problems and am using it just fine.

but today I moved my current document project to a ubuntu machine for
testing purposes. since there seems to be only an ancient `context'
provided via apt-get (from 2015) I just installed the standalone on the
ubuntu machine, too, following the instructions as good I could. context
and luatex point to the executables in
/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin etc.

so it _seems_ to be set up correctly: but the compile run for the document
(compiling just fine on the mac/older context installation) crashes on the
ubuntu with a last line:

clearontext     | fatal error: no return code, message: luatex: execution
interrupted

(w/o trailing linefeed, too...).

if I can provide further info, please let me know.

best,
joerg

> Hans
> Luigi

* Re: yearly current
@ 2017-02-15 21:00   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-02-15 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/15/2017 8:49 PM, j. van den hoff wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 20:08:53 +0100, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We're getting close to tex live freeze and part of that process is a
>> luatex release as well as a context snapshot. There have been no betas
>> for a while and the reason is that I've been cleaning up some code as
>> well as optimizing some bits. As a consequence it could be that there
>> are some issues with an upcoming luatex / context pair but because
>> there has been no real fundamental changes in the typesetting part
>> problems will be easy to sort out (like using an undefine lua function
>> or so).
>>
>> Anyway, if you are not that adventurous or depend on the current
>> version, you can best make a copy or not update from the garden too
>> eager, just wait till the lists reports no crashes.
>>
>> We will try to fix luatex/context things as fast as possible,
>
> hi,
>
> it _might_ be that I have been just bitten by this (or it is completely
> unrelated ;-)): I have previously installed standalone context on a mac
> w/o problems and am using it just fine.
>
> but today I moved my current document project to a ubuntu machine for
> testing purposes. since there seems to be only an ancient `context'
> provided via apt-get (from 2015) I just installed the standalone on the
> ubuntu machine, too, following the instructions as good I could. context
> and luatex point to the executables in
> /usr/local/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin etc.
>
> so it _seems_ to be set up correctly: but the compile run for the
> document (compiling just fine on the mac/older context installation)
> crashes on the ubuntu with a last line:
>
> clearontext     | fatal error: no return code, message: luatex:
> execution interrupted
>
> (w/o trailing linefeed, too...).
>
> if I can provide further info, please let me know.

it depends ... we're talking about luatex 1.0.3 (not on the garden yet)
and a not yet published context update ... so it must be something
different at your end

Hans

* Re: yearly current
@ 2017-02-15 21:05     ` j. van den hoff
From: j. van den hoff @ 2017-02-15 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 22:00:52 +0100, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 2/15/2017 8:49 PM, j. van den hoff wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 20:08:53 +0100, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We're getting close to tex live freeze and part of that process is a
>>> luatex release as well as a context snapshot. There have been no betas
>>> for a while and the reason is that I've been cleaning up some code as
>>> well as optimizing some bits. As a consequence it could be that there
>>> are some issues with an upcoming luatex / context pair but because
>>> there has been no real fundamental changes in the typesetting part
>>> problems will be easy to sort out (like using an undefine lua function
>>> or so).
>>>
>>> Anyway, if you are not that adventurous or depend on the current
>>> version, you can best make a copy or not update from the garden too
>>> eager, just wait till the lists reports no crashes.
>>>
>>> We will try to fix luatex/context things as fast as possible,
>>
>> hi,
>>
>> it _might_ be that I have been just bitten by this (or it is completely
>> unrelated ;-)): I have previously installed standalone context on a mac
>> w/o problems and am using it just fine.
>>
>> but today I moved my current document project to a ubuntu machine for
>> testing purposes. since there seems to be only an ancient `context'
>> provided via apt-get (from 2015) I just installed the standalone on the
>> ubuntu machine, too, following the instructions as good I could. context
>> and luatex point to the executables in
>> /usr/local/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin etc.
>>
>> so it _seems_ to be set up correctly: but the compile run for the
>> document (compiling just fine on the mac/older context installation)
>> crashes on the ubuntu with a last line:
>>
>> clearontext     | fatal error: no return code, message: luatex:
>> execution interrupted
>>
>> (w/o trailing linefeed, too...).
>>
>> if I can provide further info, please let me know.
>
> it depends ... we're talking about luatex 1.0.3 (not on the garden yet)
> and a not yet published context update ... so it must be something
> different at your end

ok, thanks. so I misunderstood... any advice how to proceed regarding my
problem? the error message doesn't mean anything to me, so I do not have
any idea how to fix this (even if it were a stupid oversight on my part)