* Referencing footnotes by SECTION
@ 2018-06-30 21:04 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2018-06-30 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear gang,

When referencing footnotes that reset each chapter, is there a way to
include the chapter information? See attached and below:

=======
\setuphead[chapter]   [alternative=normal,conversion=R]
\setuphead[subsection][alternative=text]
\setuphead[subsection][distance=0em,
                        textdistance=0.7em,
                        sectionstopper=.,
                        criterium=local]

\setupnotation[footnote][way=bychapter]

\setupreferencestructureprefix [section] [default]
                                [prefixstopper=\zerowidthspace]

\setupwhitespace[big]
\starttext

\startchapter[title={First},reference={}]
\startsubsection[title={},reference={reference1}]
\input ward
\startfootnote[footnote1]
\input ward
\stopfootnote{}

See \in{Footnote}[footnote2].
\stopsubsection
\startsubsection[title={},reference={reference2}]
\input ward
\stopsubsection
\stopchapter

\startchapter[title={Second}]
\startsubsection[title={},reference={reference3}]
\input ward
\stopsubsection
\startsubsection[title={},reference={reference5}]
\input ward
\startfootnote[footnote2]
\input ward
\stopfootnote{}

See \in{Footnote}[footnote1].
\stopsubsection
\stopchapter
\stoptext
=======

If line 8 is commented -
\setupnotation[footnote][way=bychapter]
- we get what we expect. But if line 8 is activated, we get an ambiguity:
Both references give back

  "Footnote 1"

Whereas what we would like is something like this:

  Footnote  I.1

i.e., Chapter I, Footnote 1 - for the first footnote; and

  Footnote II.1

i.e., Chapter II, Footnote 1 - for the second footnote.

Is there a straightforward way to do this?

[[Of course, for the roman chapter numbering we also run into the
reference-numberconversionset issue of the other thread, where

\definestructureconversionset[OLIE][n,R,n,n,n,n][n]
\setupreferencestructureprefix [section] [default]
                                [prefixstopper=\zerowidthspace,
                                 numberconversionset=OLIE]

doesn't seem to work.]]

Thank you in advance for any guidance or pointers you can provide!

Best wishes
Idris
--
Idris Samawi Hamid, Professor
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Referencing footnotes by SECTION
@ 2018-06-30 21:04 ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2018-06-30 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Attached!

--
Idris Samawi Hamid, Professor
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80512

[-- Attachment #2: scratch.tex --]

[-- Attachment #3: scratch.pdf --]

* Re: Referencing footnotes by SECTION
@ 2018-07-02  6:58 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2018-07-02  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Idris,

you can enable the display of chapter numbers with the prefix-key:

\setupnotation
   [footnote]
   [prefix=yes,
   %prefixsegments=chapter,
    way=bychapter]

Wolfgang

@ 2018-07-02 12:34   ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2018-07-02 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

On Mon, 02 Jul 2018 00:58:44 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Idris,
>
> you can enable the display of chapter numbers with the prefix-key:
>
> \setupnotation
>    [footnote]
>    [prefix=yes,
>    %prefixsegments=chapter,
>     way=bychapter]

Many thanks for this. There is an unwanted side-effect: Let

marker    = main-text footnote marker
header    = numeral for footnote header
reference = reference numeral

The prefix appears in three places, e.g.,

marker    - II.1
header    - II.1
reference - II.1

but we only want the prefix in the reference, not anywhere else, e.g.,

marker    - 1
header    - 1
reference - II.1

The prefix in the main-text marker and in the footnote header are
superfluous, e.g., the reader already knows which chapter one is reading.
But to reference a footnote from a later chapter, a prefix is needed to
let the reader know which chapter.

So the question is: Can the prefix be made to apply only to the reference
and not the marker or notation header?

==============
Observation:

For endnotes at the end of a book having the prefix in the header is also
useful, i.e.,

marker    - 1
header    - II.1
reference - II.1

So a general mechanism to set the prefix for each of the above three would
be useful.

If not currently supported, would like to make this a feature request.
==============

Thank you again, Wolfgang.

Best wishes
Idris

--
Idris Samawi Hamid, Professor
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80512

[-- Attachment #2: reference-footnotes.pdf --]

* Re: Referencing footnotes by SECTION
@ 2018-07-02 13:21     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2018-07-02 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد <mailto:Idris.Hamid@colostate.edu>
> 2. Juli 2018 um 14:34
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> On Mon, 02 Jul 2018 00:58:44 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Idris,
>>
>> you can enable the display of chapter numbers with the prefix-key:
>>
>> \setupnotation
>>    [footnote]
>>    [prefix=yes,
>>    %prefixsegments=chapter,
>>     way=bychapter]
>
> Many thanks for this. There is an unwanted side-effect: Let
>
> marker    = main-text footnote marker
> header    = numeral for footnote header
> reference = reference numeral
>
> The prefix appears in three places, e.g.,
>
> marker    - II.1
> header    - II.1
> reference - II.1
>
> but we only want the prefix in the reference, not anywhere else, e.g.,
>
> marker    - 1
> header    - 1
> reference - II.1
>
> The prefix in the main-text marker and in the footnote header are
> superfluous, e.g., the reader already knows which chapter one is
> reading. But to reference a footnote from a later chapter, a prefix is
> needed to let the reader know which chapter.
>
> So the question is: Can the prefix be made to apply only to the
> reference and not the marker or notation header?

You have to set different prefixsegments settings for the note entries
and the references.

\defineconversionset [OLIE] [n,R,n,n,n,n] [n]

\setuphead
   [sectionconversionset=OLIE]

\setupnotation
   [footnote]
   [prefix=yes,
    prefixset=none]

\setupreferencestructureprefix
   [footnote]
   [default]
   [prefixsegments=chapter,
    prefixset=all]

\starttext

\chapter{Chapter}

Hey\footnote[listen]{This is a footnote.}

See \in{footnote}[listen].

\stoptext

> ==============
> Observation:
>
> For endnotes at the end of a book having the prefix in the header is
> also useful, i.e.,
>
> marker    - 1
> header    - II.1
> reference - II.1
>
> So a general mechanism to set the prefix for each of the above three
> would be useful.
>
> If not currently supported, would like to make this a feature request.
> ==============

I don’t think this is possible because marker and header share the same
counter setups.

Wolfgang

* Re: Referencing footnotes by SECTION
@ 2018-07-02 13:41       ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2018-07-02 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 02 Jul 2018 07:21:19 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد <mailto:Idris.Hamid@colostate.edu>
>> 2. Juli 2018 um 14:34
>> Hi Wolfgang,
>>
>> On Mon, 02 Jul 2018 00:58:44 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
>> <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Idris,
>>>
>>> you can enable the display of chapter numbers with the prefix-key:
>>>
>>> \setupnotation
>>>    [footnote]
>>>    [prefix=yes,
>>>    %prefixsegments=chapter,
>>>     way=bychapter]
>>
>> Many thanks for this. There is an unwanted side-effect: Let
>>
>> marker    = main-text footnote marker
>> header    = numeral for footnote header
>> reference = reference numeral
>>
>> The prefix appears in three places, e.g.,
>>
>> marker    - II.1
>> header    - II.1
>> reference - II.1
>>
>> but we only want the prefix in the reference, not anywhere else, e.g.,
>>
>> marker    - 1
>> header    - 1
>> reference - II.1
>>
>> The prefix in the main-text marker and in the footnote header are
>> superfluous, e.g., the reader already knows which chapter one is
>> reading. But to reference a footnote from a later chapter, a prefix is
>> needed to let the reader know which chapter.
>>
>> So the question is: Can the prefix be made to apply only to the
>> reference and not the marker or notation header?
>
> You have to set different prefixsegments settings for the note entries
> and the references.
>

> \defineconversionset [OLIE] [n,R,n,n,n,n] [n]
>
> \setuphead
>    [sectionconversionset=OLIE]
>
> \setupnotation
>    [footnote]
>    [prefix=yes,
>     prefixset=none]
>
> \setupreferencestructureprefix
>    [footnote]
>    [default]
>    [prefixsegments=chapter,
>     prefixset=all]
>
> \starttext
>
> \chapter{Chapter}
>
> Hey\footnote[listen]{This is a footnote.}
>
> See \in{footnote}[listen].
>
> \stoptext

Excellent; this is a big help. Many thanks!

>> ==============
>> Observation:
>>
>> For endnotes at the end of a book having the prefix in the header is
>> also useful, i.e.,
>>
>> marker    - 1
>> header    - II.1
>> reference - II.1
>>
>> So a general mechanism to set the prefix for each of the above three
>> would be useful.
>>
>> If not currently supported, would like to make this a feature request.
>
> I don’t think this is possible because marker and header share the same
> counter setups.

Ok, that makes sense. As always, thank you for your pointers and
explanations!

Best wishes
Idris