From: Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@colostate.edu>
Subject: Re: \=i
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 12:42:00 -0600	[thread overview]

On Fri, 21 May 2004 12:28:41 +0200, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> did you try the latin modern fonts? they have many composed characters
> as well as more/better accents

I just checked lmr12.pfb in Fontlab; the accent on hex charachter 1BA
(imacron) is just as wide as in the plain.tex definition (and is thus
useless)! If Hans or anyone else has any influence with the author they
should convince him to change that asap... (Also, it does not seem to have
an old-style option for numerals; indispensable for work in the humanities
(i.e., my work;->))

Anyway, lm certainly looks promising; it will probably take some work to
adapt it so that it can replace all the tweaking I've done to get cmr to
work for me. Are typescripts available for lm?

I looked in the archives; I did have one very long letter (Tue, 23 Sep
2003) with suggestions for lm if anyone is interested in reading them
again...

I just sent a letter to comp.text.tex about that \=i business; since it's
a little more clear & precise than what I wrote here I repeat it:

This is a job/challenge for a real TeXnician;-)

For Computer modern, I need to redefine \=i so that it does the following:
the bar over the <\i> must be the width of the i-box. In plain.tex the bar
over the <i> or <\i> is much too wide, looks ugly and sometimes butts into
other letters/diacritics when used frequently (as in frequent Arabic
transliteration). In good quality typesetting the bar in the \=i is always
smaller than for, say, \=a and \=u. (ConTeXt is nice in that it already
incorporates the \i in its def. of \=i and I don't want to lose that
feature;->)

Note that the solution must work for both slanted and non-slanted styles.
I've played around with the plain.tex definitions for manipulating
accents, but this one is way out of my league, I think. The main problem
of course lies in defining a \rule with the same relative height as the
usual bar in cm (\char'26), but whose relative width is always that of the
i-box as defined in the tfm file. Once such a chameleon bar is defined it
should be relatively easy to define it as an accent such that we can
redefine \=i to give us dotless-i with a thinner bar. Also note that \=
should maintain its usual definition for other letters.

Is anyone up to this challenge? I really hope so...

(I don't know how complicated this is but maybe a solution is worth
publishing in Tugboat? Or maybe it's trivial which is fine by me...)

Best 2 all
Idris
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy