* Upgrading...
@ 2005-03-05 17:33 ishamid
From: ishamid @ 2005-03-05 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear syndicate,

While I have not closely kept up with all developments it seems that
installation/upgrade procedures have been improved. I also went through a lot
of pain the last time I upgraded so I ask:

Given that:

1. I have not updated my context since Aug. of last year;

2. my fpTeX is from last July.

What is the wisest and most efficient way to upgrade my ConTeXt distribution
today?

Should I replace fpTeX (including Aleph) with the ConTeXt/TeX distribution
from the website?

Are there any Aleph-related issues?

Any tips will be appreciated

Thanks
Idris

Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: Upgrading...
@ 2005-03-05 22:51 ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-03-05 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

ishamid wrote:
> Dear syndicate,
>
> While I have not closely kept up with all developments it seems that
> installation/upgrade procedures have been improved. I also went through a lot
> of pain the last time I upgraded so I ask:
>
> Given that:
>
> 1. I have not updated my context since Aug. of last year;
>
> 2. my fpTeX is from last July.
>
> What is the wisest and most efficient way to upgrade my ConTeXt distribution
> today?
>
> Should I replace fpTeX (including Aleph) with the ConTeXt/TeX distribution
> from the website?
>
> Are there any Aleph-related issues?
>
> Any tips will be appreciated

just download the windows zip file from our website and install that one in a
separate tree, e.g. under

c:\context

then, you can initialize that tree with

c:\context\setuptex c:\context

and voila ...

when needed, unzip the latest cont-tfm (beta) and cont-lmr archives in
texmf-local and remake formats

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Upgrading...
@ 2005-03-15 18:38   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-03-15 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 23:51:50 +0100, h h extern <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> when needed, unzip the latest cont-tfm (beta) and cont-lmr archives in
> texmf-local and remake formats

Where are the cont-lmr archives? I can't find them...

Idris

--

@ 2005-03-16 21:14     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-16 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 23:51:50 +0100, h h extern <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> when needed, unzip the latest cont-tfm (beta) and cont-lmr archives in
>> texmf-local and remake formats
>

> Where are the cont-lmr archives? I can't find them...

on our website there is a zip (beta location) in the texmf structure

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Upgrading...
@ 2005-03-17 10:48       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-03-17 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

>>> when needed, unzip the latest cont-tfm (beta) and cont-lmr archives
>>> in texmf-local and remake formats
>> Where are the cont-lmr archives? I can't find them...
>
> on our website there is a zip (beta location) in the texmf structure

jftr: it is in

context/latest/cont-lmt.zip

--
It's St. Patrick's Day!

* RE: Upgrading...
@ 2005-03-16 14:32 ishamid
From: ishamid @ 2005-03-16 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

>===== Original Message From Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> =====
>> C:\ConTeXt\texmf-mswin\web2c>aleph --ini *plain \dump
>> This is Alephk, Version 3.141592-1.15-2.1-0.0-rc4 (Web2c 7.5.3) (INIALEPH)
>>  %&-line parsing enabled.
>
>this is a plain tex issue ... looks likemanfnt is not on your system

1. ok, how do I get

C:\ConTeXt\texmf-mswin\bin

to secondarily search C:\TeXLive, where manfnt is located?

2. Also, I need both pdfetex and aleph; how do I get both, since both

texexec --make en -tex=aleph

and

texexec --make en -tex=pdfetex

produce the same file, cont-en.fmt?

@ 2005-03-16  9:02 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-16  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

ishamid wrote:
>>===== Original Message From Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@colostate.edu> =====
>>On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 23:51:50 +0100, h h extern <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>>

>>>when needed, unzip the latest cont-tfm (beta) and cont-lmr archives in
>>>texmf-local and remake formats
>>
>>Where are the cont-lmr archives? I can't find them...
>

> Ok, I see that lmr comes with the mswincontext distribution, so cont-lmr will
> be put up if/when improvements are made?

indeed

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Upgrading...
@ 2005-03-16  8:57 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-16  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

ishamid wrote:
> I must be making this way too complicated, anyway...
>
> I placed C:\ConTeXt\texmf-mswin\bin ahead of TeXLive in my NT PATH (Windows
> 2000) so those binaries get called first. I tried to make the aleph format:

> C:\ConTeXt\texmf-mswin\web2c>aleph --ini *plain \dump
> This is Alephk, Version 3.141592-1.15-2.1-0.0-rc4 (Web2c 7.5.3) (INIALEPH)
>  %&-line parsing enabled.

this is a plain tex issue ... looks likemanfnt is not on your system

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* RE: Upgrading...
@ 2005-03-16  1:10 ishamid
From: ishamid @ 2005-03-16  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I must be making this way too complicated, anyway...

I placed C:\ConTeXt\texmf-mswin\bin ahead of TeXLive in my NT PATH (Windows
2000) so those binaries get called first. I tried to make the aleph format:

C:\ConTeXt\texmf-mswin\web2c>aleph --ini *plain \dump
This is Alephk, Version 3.141592-1.15-2.1-0.0-rc4 (Web2c 7.5.3) (INIALEPH)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
Copyright (c) 2002--2004 the Aleph task force
entering extended mode
(c:/ConTeXt/texmf/tex/plain/base/plain.tex Preloading the plain format: codes,
registers, parameters, fonts, more fonts,
! Font \preloaded=manfnt not loadable: Metric (TFM/OFM) file not found.
<to be read again>
                   \par
l.468

?

It works fine in TeXLive.

Another problem: how can I have both the aleph and the pdfetex formats?

texexec --make en -tex=aleph

overides the default cont-en.fmt made by

texexec --make

Question: how can I configure mktexlsr so that it updates both C:\ConTeXt as
well as C:\TeXLive?

best

@ 2005-03-15 23:09 ishamid
From: ishamid @ 2005-03-15 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> just download the windows zip file from our website and install that one
> in a separate tree, e.g. under
>
> c:\context
>
> then, you can initialize that tree with
>
> c:\context\setuptex c:\context
>
> and voila ...

Ok, I followed the above. Now I have two trees, c:\TeXLive and c:\ConTeXt

Issues:

1. I ``initialized'' the \ConTeXt tree and ran

texexec --make

but no aleph format, so a batch file is called:

cd C:\ConTeXt\texmf-mswin\web2c
aleph --ini *plain \dump
texexec --make en -tex=aleph
aleph --ini *cont-en

but...

C:\ConTeXt\texmf-mswin\web2c>aleph --ini *plain \dump
! aleph.pool doesn't match; otangle me again (or fix the path).

How do I get aleph working?

2. How do I get my OS to recognize/prioritize the C:\ConTeXt tree (when I call
texexec from my editor it still calls from c:\TeXLive)? Do I have to uninstall
ConTeXt from my c:\TeXLive path? What is the cleanest way to do that?

3. I presume that
\ConTeXt\texmf-local\web2c\texmf.cnf
is the one
texexec --make
uses. Have you already optimized/tested
\ConTeXt\texmf-local\web2c\texmf.cnf
for aleph (there were a few issues as you may recall...)?

@ 2005-03-15 23:08 ishamid
From: ishamid @ 2005-03-15 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)