* RE: Encoding and mapping glyphs from an expert font
@ 2005-04-09 22:30 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-09 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for your help...

>===== Original Message From "Adam Lindsay" <atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk> =====
>Idris Samawi Hamid said this at Sat, 9 Apr 2005 15:02:51 -0600:
>
>>By the way, I still don't understand how placing, e.g., /zerooldstyle in the
>>respective /zero position in an encoding file will instruct LatinModern to
>>pick up the glyph from cmmi10. In, for example,
>>
>>====================================================
>>texnansi-lmb10 LMRomanDemi10-Regular <texnansi-os-lm.enc <lmb10.pfb
>>====================================================
>>
>>How does ConTeXt know that /zerooldstyle is to be mapped to cmmbi10?
>>I must be missing something....
>
>I think I'm missing something from your description. What markup are you
>using in your source in order to ascribe these magical properties to
OldStyle?
>Are you aware of the default mapping of OldStyle to MathItalic?

Well, Hans claimed this could be done without virtual fonts, and I was trying
to follow his implementation.

Could you tell me where the default mapping of OldStyle to MathItalic is
documented/implemented in the sources? Maybe I could make a similar mechanism
for my normal-expert dyad.

Best and thnx a million
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* RE: Open Type trickery [was Re: Encoding and mapping glyphs from an expert font
@ 2005-04-10 17:31 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-04-10 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>===== Original Message From "Adam Lindsay" <atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk> =====
>Idris Samawi Hamid said this at Sat, 9 Apr 2005 19:27:21 -0600:

>>While we will still need huge fonts, the processing of complicated accents
>>should be much faster with the approach I have in mind (smaller otp's and
>>ovf's).

>It sounds a bit tricky with the eTeX line, because of the 256-character-
>per-TeX-font limit.

Aleph gives us 64,000-characters/font plus etex so that's not a problem. But
with some font/otp creativity we can still get some rather small fonts
(compared to the 10,000-character ovfs I'm using now...)

>Not necessarily impossible, but certainly
>contortionate. I'm led to think about XeTeX--a fair number of people on
>the list are happy with the AAT/OpenType support they get with some very
>sophisticated Arabic fonts.

If you can have one of your friends send me some pdf samples, that would be
nice. I am especially interested in accent handling over ligatures. OTOH, I
have yet to see a normal Arabic-script font with a full accent palette plus a
very complete set of ligatures (except mine of course->) Yes, there are
certainly some (outrageously expensive) Mac programs that come with really
beautiful and complete calligraphy Arabic fonts; I'll have to have a look at
those one day...

>And when you consider the educational price
>of a Mac mini, you're still way below the price of some software
>packages... :)

I'll look into it (Hans made a similar suggestion to me a few days ago),
though my own goal with my Arabic-script package is platform independence.
OTOH, aleph has much better bidi/large font/transcription support than
pdfetex. Maybe I will come to a TeX conference and lobby for integration of
these two. Then all will be well in the world...

Best
Idris