* [NTG-context] This is rmally done by loading special math fonts into the math family slots.
@ 2023-05-09 14:19 Carlos via ntg-context
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-05-09 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

Hello list

the whole error message I get is

tex error       > tex error on line 90 in file ./atestinminion-context.mkiv: Math error: parameter 'operatorsize' with id 8 in style 0 is not set

<macro> \m_operator_text
    \endgroup \Ustopmathmode
<macro> \m_operator_text
    \stopforceddisplaymath
    \egroup \ifcase \c_strc_formulas_frame_mode \else \strc_math_number_check_offsets \fi \ifcase \c_strc_formulas_frame_mode \strc_math_number_check \or \strc_math_number_check_outside \else \strc_math_number_check_inside \fi \str
<macro> \m_operator_text
    \endgroup \strc_formulas_endstrut \stopinnermath
    \afterdisplayspace \egroup
<macro> \m_operator_text
    \strc_formulas_place_number \strc_formulas_flush_number \dostarttagged \t!formulacontent \empty \dotagregisterformula \c_strc_formulas_n \csname \e!stop \formulaparameter \c!alternative \v!formula \endcsname
    \dostoptagged \dostoptagged \nonoindentati
<line 3.90>
    \stopformula

    \startformula
    	\int_{\infty}
>>  \stopformula

Sorry, but I can't typeset math unless various parameters have been set. This is
normally done by loading special math fonts into the math family slots. Your font
set is lacking at least the parameter mentioned earlier.

What parameter is this referring to here?

If I were to load sans it finishes off without errors on the math side,
but then again, doesn't load sans at all

mkiv lua stats  > loaded fonts: 2 files: latinmodern-math.otf, minionpro-regular.otf

And as you can guess,  the above is not I was looking forward to

--
Real computer scientists don't comment their code.  The identifiers are
so long they can't afford the disk space.

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot_2023-05-09_01-08-09.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 23080 bytes --]

* Re: [NTG-context] This is rmally done by loading special math fonts into the math family slots.
@ 2023-05-09 14:46 ` Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context
From: Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context @ 2023-05-09 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 9, 2023 at 4:20 PM Carlos via ntg-context
<ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> Hello list
>
> the whole error message I get is
>
> tex error       > tex error on line 90 in file ./atestinminion-context.mkiv: Math error: parameter 'operatorsize' with id 8 in style 0 is not set
>
> <macro> \m_operator_text
>     \endgroup \Ustopmathmode
> <macro> \m_operator_text
>     \stopforceddisplaymath
>     \egroup \ifcase \c_strc_formulas_frame_mode \else \strc_math_number_check_offsets \fi \ifcase \c_strc_formulas_frame_mode \strc_math_number_check \or \strc_math_number_check_outside \else \strc_math_number_check_inside \fi \str
> <macro> \m_operator_text
>     \endgroup \strc_formulas_endstrut \stopinnermath
>     \afterdisplayspace \egroup
> <macro> \m_operator_text
>     \strc_formulas_place_number \strc_formulas_flush_number \dostarttagged \t!formulacontent \empty \dotagregisterformula \c_strc_formulas_n \csname \e!stop \formulaparameter \c!alternative \v!formula \endcsname
>     \dostoptagged \dostoptagged \nonoindentati
> <line 3.90>
>     \stopformula
>
>     \startformula
>         \int_{\infty}
> >>  \stopformula
>
> Sorry, but I can't typeset math unless various parameters have been set. This is
> normally done by loading special math fonts into the math family slots. Your font
> set is lacking at least the parameter mentioned earlier.
>
> What parameter is this referring to here?

Looks like you might not have the Minion math font. Did you buy it?

/Mikael

* Re: [NTG-context] This is rmally done by loading special math fonts into the math family slots.
@ 2023-05-09 14:49 ` Carlos via ntg-context
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-05-09 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

> tex error       > tex error on line 90 in file ./atestinminion-context.mkiv: Math error: parameter 'operatorsize' with id 8 in style 0 is not set
>
> <macro> \m_operator_text
>     \endgroup \Ustopmathmode
> <macro> \m_operator_text
>     \stopforceddisplaymath
>     \egroup \ifcase \c_strc_formulas_frame_mode \else \strc_math_number_check_offsets \fi \ifcase \c_strc_formulas_frame_mode \strc_math_number_check \or \strc_math_number_check_outside \else \strc_math_number_check_inside \fi \str
> <macro> \m_operator_text
>     \endgroup \strc_formulas_endstrut \stopinnermath
>     \afterdisplayspace \egroup
> <macro> \m_operator_text
>     \strc_formulas_place_number \strc_formulas_flush_number \dostarttagged \t!formulacontent \empty \dotagregisterformula \c_strc_formulas_n \csname \e!stop \formulaparameter \c!alternative \v!formula \endcsname
>     \dostoptagged \dostoptagged \nonoindentati
> <line 3.90>
>     \stopformula
>
>     \startformula
>     	\int_{\infty}
> >>  \stopformula
>
> Sorry, but I can't typeset math unless various parameters have been set. This is
> normally done by loading special math fonts into the math family slots. Your font
> set is lacking at least the parameter mentioned earlier.
>
> What parameter is this referring to here?
>
> If I were to load sans it finishes off without errors on the math side,
> but then again, doesn't load sans at all
>
> mkiv lua stats  > loaded fonts: 2 files: latinmodern-math.otf, minionpro-regular.otf
>
> And as you can guess,  the above is not I was looking forward to

in other words, this is wanted

mkiv lua stats  > loaded fonts: 4 files: minionpro-bold.otf, minionpro-it.otf, minionpro-regular.otf, myriadpro-regular.otf

but then again,  it's not possible without the preloaded
latinmodern-math if a math environment is included.

> --
> Real computer scientists don't comment their code.  The identifiers are
> so long they can't afford the disk space.

`Lasu' Releases SAG 0.3 -- Freeware Book Takes Paves For New World Order
by staff writers

Helsinki, Finland, August 6, 1995 -- In a surprise movement, Lars
``Lasu'' Wirzenius today released the 0.3 edition of the ``Linux System
Administrators' Guide''.  Already an industry non-classic, the new
version sports such overwhelming features as an overview of a Linux
system, a completely new climbing session in a tree, and a list of
acknowledgements in the introduction.
	The SAG, as the book is affectionately called, is one of the
corner stones of the Linux Documentation Project.  ``We at the LDP feel
that we wouldn't be able to produce anything at all, that all our work
would be futile, if it weren't for the SAG,'' says Matt Welsh, director
of LDP, Inc.
	The new version is still distributed freely, now even with a
copyright that allows modification.  ``More dough,'' explains the author.
Despite insistent rumors about blatant commercialization, the SAG will
probably remain free.  ``Even more dough,'' promises the author.
	The author refuses to comment on Windows NT and Windows 96
versions, claiming not to understand what the question is about.
Industry gossip, however, tells that Bill Gates, co-founder and CEO of
Microsoft, producer of the Windows series of video games, has visited
Helsinki several times this year.  Despite of this, Linus Torvalds,
author of the word processor Linux with which the SAG was written, is
not worried.  ``We'll have world domination real soon now, anyway,'' he
explains, ``for 1.4 at the lastest.''
		-- Lars Wirzenius <wirzeniu@cs.helsinki.fi>
		   [comp.os.linux.announce]

* Re: [NTG-context] This is rmally done by loading special math fonts into the math family slots.
@ 2023-05-09 15:02   ` Carlos via ntg-context
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-05-09 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 04:46:42PM +0200, Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context wrote:
> On Tue, May 9, 2023 at 4:20 PM Carlos via ntg-context
> <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
> >

> > Hello list
> >
> > the whole error message I get is
> >
> > tex error       > tex error on line 90 in file ./atestinminion-context.mkiv: Math error: parameter 'operatorsize' with id 8 in style 0 is not set
> >
> > <macro> \m_operator_text
> >     \endgroup \Ustopmathmode
> > <macro> \m_operator_text
> >     \stopforceddisplaymath
> >     \egroup \ifcase \c_strc_formulas_frame_mode \else \strc_math_number_check_offsets \fi \ifcase \c_strc_formulas_frame_mode \strc_math_number_check \or \strc_math_number_check_outside \else \strc_math_number_check_inside \fi \str
> > <macro> \m_operator_text
> >     \endgroup \strc_formulas_endstrut \stopinnermath
> >     \afterdisplayspace \egroup
> > <macro> \m_operator_text
> >     \strc_formulas_place_number \strc_formulas_flush_number \dostarttagged \t!formulacontent \empty \dotagregisterformula \c_strc_formulas_n \csname \e!stop \formulaparameter \c!alternative \v!formula \endcsname
> >     \dostoptagged \dostoptagged \nonoindentati
> > <line 3.90>
> >     \stopformula
> >
> >     \startformula
> >         \int_{\infty}
> >
> > Sorry, but I can't typeset math unless various parameters have been set. This is
> > normally done by loading special math fonts into the math family slots. Your font
> > set is lacking at least the parameter mentioned earlier.
> >
> > What parameter is this referring to here?
>
> Looks like you might not have the Minion math font. Did you buy it?

Oh. That's what the math slot refers to then! I didn't buy it. I've been shoved
acroread before without asking and I had the whole set sans math

thanks Mikael

> /Mikael

If I'd known computer science was going to be like this, I'd never have
given up being a rock 'n' roll star.
		-- G. Hirst

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot_2023-05-09_10-58-23.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 36671 bytes --]

* Re: [NTG-context] This is rmally done by loading special math fonts into the math family slots.
@ 2023-05-09 16:24     ` Carlos via ntg-context
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-05-09 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

> On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 04:46:42PM +0200, Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context wrote:
> > On Tue, May 9, 2023 at 4:20 PM Carlos via ntg-context
> > <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hello list
> > >
> > > the whole error message I get is
> > >
> > > tex error       > tex error on line 90 in file ./atestinminion-context.mkiv: Math error: parameter 'operatorsize' with id 8 in style 0 is not set
> > >
> > > <macro> \m_operator_text
> > >     \endgroup \Ustopmathmode
> > > <macro> \m_operator_text
> > >     \stopforceddisplaymath
> > >     \egroup \ifcase \c_strc_formulas_frame_mode \else \strc_math_number_check_offsets \fi \ifcase \c_strc_formulas_frame_mode \strc_math_number_check \or \strc_math_number_check_outside \else \strc_math_number_check_inside \fi \str
> > > <macro> \m_operator_text
> > >     \endgroup \strc_formulas_endstrut \stopinnermath
> > >     \afterdisplayspace \egroup
> > > <macro> \m_operator_text
> > >     \strc_formulas_place_number \strc_formulas_flush_number \dostarttagged \t!formulacontent \empty \dotagregisterformula \c_strc_formulas_n \csname \e!stop \formulaparameter \c!alternative \v!formula \endcsname
> > >     \dostoptagged \dostoptagged \nonoindentati
> > > <line 3.90>
> > >     \stopformula
> > >
> > >     \startformula
> > >         \int_{\infty}
> > >
> > > Sorry, but I can't typeset math unless various parameters have been set. This is
> > > normally done by loading special math fonts into the math family slots. Your font
> > > set is lacking at least the parameter mentioned earlier.
> > >
> > > What parameter is this referring to here?
> >
> > Looks like you might not have the Minion math font. Did you buy it?
>
> Oh. That's what the math slot refers to then! I didn't buy it. I've been shoved
> acroread before without asking and I had the whole set sans math

With that being said, in that sense (not that I need it though, to be
honest), the luatex lmtx approach is more of an instant gratification,
whereas with latex and the metrics of the file afterwards, any math
environment is certainly possible, while loading myriad and minion et co
without an error

I still stand for what I said earlier. That lot and their heirs already
made their money by shoving down acroread all over. It's no secret

> thanks Mikael

thanks again Mikael for clarifying it. I wasn't sure.

> > /Mikael
>
> --
> If I'd known computer science was going to be like this, I'd never have
> given up being a rock 'n' roll star.
> 		-- G. Hirst

Never trust an operating system.

* Re: [NTG-context] This is rmally done by loading special math fonts into the math family slots.
@ 2023-05-09 17:00       ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-05-09 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 5/9/2023 6:24 PM, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:

> With that being said, in that sense (not that I need it though, to be
> honest), the luatex lmtx approach is more of an instant gratification,
> whereas with latex and the metrics of the file afterwards, any math
> environment is certainly possible, while loading myriad and minion et co
> without an error
>
> I still stand for what I said earlier. That lot and their heirs already
> made their money by shoving down acroread all over. It's no secret
Normally context will fall bakc on latin modern but when you explicitly
load a font setup and that one doesn't have math fonts it will not be
set up right and then you get these parameter relates messages. The
minion math font is supported when you have it installed although we're
not sure if the tweaks will work okay. I only have an old evaluation
copy that I can't use outside testing anyway, and I don't have the
minion fonts that can be used in documents (acrobat fonts are only for
display) so I never use minion anyway.

Although every math environment is possible (after all there are not
than manyu math fonts) one always has to match them properly with serif
and sans fonts (relative scaling etc).

When someone wants support for some commercial font, they have to buy us
a few copies with no constraints. (Normally in a project we just get
them anyway.) There are plenty of examples in the type-imp-* files that
show the way.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [NTG-context] This is rmally done by loading special math fonts into the math family slots.
@ 2023-05-09 21:28         ` Carlos via ntg-context
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-05-09 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 07:00:15PM +0200, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:

> On 5/9/2023 6:24 PM, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:
>
> > With that being said, in that sense (not that I need it though, to be
> > honest), the luatex lmtx approach is more of an instant gratification,
> > whereas with latex and the metrics of the file afterwards, any math
> > environment is certainly possible, while loading myriad and minion et co
> > without an error
> >
> > I still stand for what I said earlier. That lot and their heirs already
> > made their money by shoving down acroread all over. It's no secret
> Normally context will fall bakc on latin modern but when you explicitly load
> a font setup and that one doesn't have math fonts it will not be set up
> right and then you get these parameter relates messages. The minion math
> font is supported when you have it installed although we're not sure if the
> tweaks will work okay. I only have an old evaluation copy that I can't use
> outside testing anyway, and I don't have the minion fonts that can be used
> in documents (acrobat fonts are only for display) so I never use minion
> anyway.
>
> Although every math environment is possible (after all there are not than
> manyu math fonts) one always has to match them properly with serif and sans
> fonts (relative scaling etc).
>
> When someone wants support for some commercial font, they have to buy us a
> few copies with no constraints. (Normally in a project we just get them
> anyway.) There are plenty of examples in the type-imp-* files that show the
> way.
>
> Hans

Thanks for the info Hans. I'll check it out again. About a month or
so ago I went over the fonts used in  math with luatex lmtx  and it
was more of a refreshing course than anything else. TeX Gyre and so
forth. And a  similar approach which I used in handling these fonts
in mkii before.

Recently someone made the suggestion of working or the intent to work or
the suggestion or whatever of tackling mnssymbol on luatex. I don't know about
that but.. I don't know. Perhaps I misunderstood

I've used this family of minion and myriad before, but I still think
it has the same audience than the glyphs used by the chinese at the
beginning of the typesetting history> weddings, funerals, pamphlets,
etiquette cards, calendars, arithmetic tables and so forth. It has more
flare than perhaps a lucida. But the latter, subjectively speaking,
is perhaps more dry but also more straightforward and legible. For me
anyway.

But when I see that a simple page and nothing fancy really, cannot be
processed under lmtx no matter how much tweaking is performed under
the hood something is not quite right

the same (similar) screenshot attached here is under latex. Something
similar is what I wanted to have, but couldn't.

I'll check out your suggestion. Thanks again Hans

>        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl

AmigaDOS Beer: The company has gone out of business, but their recipe has
been picked up by some weird German company, so now this beer will be an
import.  This beer never really sold very well because the original
manufacturer didn't understand marketing. Like Unix Beer, AmigaDOS Beer
fans are an extremely loyal and loud group. It originally came in a
16-oz. can, but now comes in 32-oz.  cans too.  When this can was
originally introduced, it appeared flashy and colorful, but the design
hasn't changed much over the years, so it appears dated now.  Critics of
this beer claim that it is only meant for watching TV anyway.

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot_2023-05-09_17-11-29.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 42094 bytes --]

* Re: [NTG-context] This is rmally done by loading special math fonts into the math family slots.
@ 2023-05-10  7:02           ` Carlos via ntg-context
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-05-10  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 05:28:11PM -0400, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:

> On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 07:00:15PM +0200, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> >
> > On 5/9/2023 6:24 PM, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:
> >
> > > With that being said, in that sense (not that I need it though, to be
> > > honest), the luatex lmtx approach is more of an instant gratification,
> > > whereas with latex and the metrics of the file afterwards, any math
> > > environment is certainly possible, while loading myriad and minion et co
> > > without an error
> > >
> > > I still stand for what I said earlier. That lot and their heirs already
> > > made their money by shoving down acroread all over. It's no secret
> > Normally context will fall bakc on latin modern but when you explicitly load
> > a font setup and that one doesn't have math fonts it will not be set up
> > right and then you get these parameter relates messages. The minion math
> > font is supported when you have it installed although we're not sure if the
> > tweaks will work okay. I only have an old evaluation copy that I can't use
> > outside testing anyway, and I don't have the minion fonts that can be used
> > in documents (acrobat fonts are only for display) so I never use minion
> > anyway.
> >
> > Although every math environment is possible (after all there are not than
> > manyu math fonts) one always has to match them properly with serif and sans
> > fonts (relative scaling etc).
> >
> > When someone wants support for some commercial font, they have to buy us a
> > few copies with no constraints. (Normally in a project we just get them
> > anyway.) There are plenty of examples in the type-imp-* files that show the
> > way.
> >
> > Hans
>
> Thanks for the info Hans. I'll check it out again. About a month or
> so ago I went over the fonts used in  math with luatex lmtx  and it
> was more of a refreshing course than anything else. TeX Gyre and so
> forth. And a  similar approach which I used in handling these fonts
> in mkii before.
>
> Recently someone made the suggestion of working or the intent to work or
> the suggestion or whatever of tackling mnssymbol on luatex. I don't know about
> that but.. I don't know. Perhaps I misunderstood
>
> I've used this family of minion and myriad before, but I still think
> it has the same audience than the glyphs used by the chinese at the
> beginning of the typesetting history> weddings, funerals, pamphlets,
> etiquette cards, calendars, arithmetic tables and so forth. It has more
> flare than perhaps a lucida. But the latter, subjectively speaking,
> is perhaps more dry but also more straightforward and legible. For me
> anyway.

By the way. Slightly unrelated to all of this but your paper on tug
about the adjustments to lucida is impressive.

https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb43-3/tb135hagen-lucida.pdf

But lucida is also just an uncial descendant. Bland, squashed, and
easily complex to adjust because of those very same features. Lo
and behold if anything like that is tried out on minion for that
matter. But for readability purposes, lucida is definitely a step ahead.
This is all subjective of course.

thanks for that work and paper on lucida Hans, Mikael

> But when I see that a simple page and nothing fancy really, cannot be
> processed under lmtx no matter how much tweaking is performed under
> the hood something is not quite right
>
> the same (similar) screenshot attached here is under latex. Something
> similar is what I wanted to have, but couldn't.
>
> I'll check out your suggestion. Thanks again Hans

> >                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
> >               Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
> >        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl
> >

> --
> AmigaDOS Beer: The company has gone out of business, but their recipe has
> been picked up by some weird German company, so now this beer will be an
> import.  This beer never really sold very well because the original
> manufacturer didn't understand marketing. Like Unix Beer, AmigaDOS Beer
> fans are an extremely loyal and loud group. It originally came in a
> 16-oz. can, but now comes in 32-oz.  cans too.  When this can was
> originally introduced, it appeared flashy and colorful, but the design
> hasn't changed much over the years, so it appears dated now.  Critics of
> this beer claim that it is only meant for watching TV anyway.

	A novice was trying to fix a broken lisp machine by turning the
power off and on.  Knight, seeing what the student was doing spoke sternly,
"You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding
of what is going wrong."  Knight turned the machine off and on.  The
machine worked.

* Re: [NTG-context] This is rmally done by loading special math fonts into the math family slots.
@ 2023-05-11 16:29         ` Carlos via ntg-context
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-05-11 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 07:00:15PM +0200, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:

> On 5/9/2023 6:24 PM, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:
>
> > With that being said, in that sense (not that I need it though, to be
> > honest), the luatex lmtx approach is more of an instant gratification,
> > whereas with latex and the metrics of the file afterwards, any math
> > environment is certainly possible, while loading myriad and minion et co
> > without an error
> >
> > I still stand for what I said earlier. That lot and their heirs already
> > made their money by shoving down acroread all over. It's no secret
> Normally context will fall bakc on latin modern but when you explicitly load
> a font setup and that one doesn't have math fonts it will not be set up

I checked the type-imp-* file. Unicode-math from latex had no issues on
two different systems one running a full TeXLive and the other on e
customized on-demand package installatino

but that part you said in the beginning:

> Normally context will fall bakc on latin modern but when you explicitly load

that's simply brilliant Hans

\starttypescript [minionserif]
  \definetypeface [minionserif]    [rm] [serif] [minionserif]   [default]
  \definetypeface [minionserif]    [ss] [sans] 	[minionsans]    [default]
%  \definetypeface [minionsans]    [mm] [math] 	[minionserif]   [default]

> right and then you get these parameter relates messages. The minion math
> font is supported when you have it installed although we're not sure if the
> tweaks will work okay. I only have an old evaluation copy that I can't use
> outside testing anyway, and I don't have the minion fonts that can be used
> in documents (acrobat fonts are only for display) so I never use minion
> anyway.
>
> Although every math environment is possible (after all there are not than
> manyu math fonts) one always has to match them properly with serif and sans
> fonts (relative scaling etc).
>
> When someone wants support for some commercial font, they have to buy us a
> few copies with no constraints. (Normally in a project we just get them
> anyway.) There are plenty of examples in the type-imp-* files that show the
> way.
>
> Hans

>        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl

Thus spake the master programmer:
	"When a program is being tested, it is too late to make design changes."
		-- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"