From: Michel Bovani <michel.bovani@wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Re: ConTeXt on Mac?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 22:56:45 +0100	[thread overview]

At 21:47 +0100 20/03/01, H. Ramm wrote:
>\startenthusiasm
>Hey, you managed to get ConTeXt work on MacOS?
>\stopenthusiasm

\startallegromanontroppo
I just install the context archive in a tds directory, built a
cont-en format and test it with (very) simple demo files...
\stopallegromanontroppo

>How? With OzTeX, CMacTeX or TeXtures?

with CmacTeX which is a web2c distrib, have a pdfetex engine and
support a \write18 command : I think it was the best challenger...
moreover : the future version 3.7 will run on macOSX (3.7beta already exists).

>What about the Perl scripts?

I had very bad experiences last year with mac perl and, as Hans says
that use command line wad possible, I try it (I think that we can
expect an unix port of perl that will run on mac OSX terminal
anyway... also CMacTeX is Applescriptable, and may be it is an other
way).

Here is what I do :

Get the context archive and install it in the tds tree.

set up pdfoutput in cont-sys.rme and copy it to cont-sys.tex

extending pdftex.cnf to huge values (as for context in texlive5 texmf.cnf)

setting memory allocated to pdfetex tool to 30Mo.

Generate the format :

execute pdfetex -ini -efmt=cont-en *cont-en.ini

move cont-en.efmt to cmactex/texformats

Now I can run context by calling pdfetex and selecting the cont-en
format file in the format menu...

>Would you please send me your enco-mac.tex ?

ftp://gutenberg.eu.org/pub/gut/MAC/context/contrib/enco-mac.tex.sit.bin

Please note that file should go in a context/local directory.
--
Michel Bovani