* Who uses ConTeXt?
@ 2002-07-06  5:29 Christopher Cardinale
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Cardinale @ 2002-07-06  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now that I am getting interested in ConTeXt and an considering doing a
major project with it, I would like to know how common ConTeXt is.
Approximately how many people use ConTeXt? What industries is it
popular in? I know that LaTeX is often used in science and engineering.

Not too long ago, an individual posted a document on comp.text.tex in
ConTeXt format and many people complained that it was nonstandard and
they didn't know what to do with it. This concerns me a little, since
if people who read a TeX newsgroup are stumped, what's everyone else
going to think?

I think Mr. Hagen has created a great system and has done a great
service for authors by making it freely available. If I may be so
presumptuous I would like to draw up an agenda of what must be done to
make more ConTeXt more inviting to the public at large and allow it to
truly rival LaTeX:

1. An easy installation process. Many users are not too keen on
installing Perl and having to configure TeXexec. It should be as easy
for users of, say, MikTeX to exploit the capabilities of ConTeXt as it
is to write a LaTeX document without further ado.

2. Better documentation. Mr. Hagen has done an immense amount of work
in documenting ConTeXt, but after printing out the 330 page manual, I'd
like something a little more user friendly. It could benefit from a
more grammatical English translation and a professional editor.
Everyone needs an editor. It would also be nice to be able to buy it as
a printed book from Amazon.

3. A commercial implementation offering superior convenience and
interface. We can all agree that TeX systems like VTeX and Scientific
Word have their limitations, but they are probably the simplest way for
the less-sophisticated user to begin producing LaTeX documents. For
those who can afford them, these tools are an immense help. Even a
freeware or shareware editor that supports ConTeXt syntax coloring and
document previews would be of benefit. I am aware of the environments
created for WinEdt and Emacs. I myself use UltraEdit on the PC and have
added the commands from the appendix to the ConTeXt manual to the
wordfile in order to get syntax coloring. Our current editing tools are
better than nothing, but what I have in mind is something more
far-reaching, like what TeXnicCenter and Scientific Word do: they KNOW
the LaTeX language. The need to recall the names of different markup
tags and environments is moved out of the user's brain and into the
software, the way it should be.

4. We need a set of high-quality, robust converters for transforming
RTF, HTML, LaTeX, and other file formats into ConTeXt documents. I am
fairly impressed by the output of RTF2LaTeX2e; it should not be that
difficult to modify that program, replacing the LaTeX tags with ConTeXt
tags. The output does err closely to preserving the *appearance* of the
original RTF file rather than trying to create a structure, so in some
ways it defeats the purpose of What-you-see-is-what-you-mean.
Nevertheless, you can add that logical markup yourself. At least the
chores of fixing quote marks and & $ symbols is taken care of.

Had I the time and the skill, I would undertake these projects myself,
but as it stands I can only hope that my clever fellow users will get
some inspiration from my kvetching and create some wonderful tools.

Best,
Chris Cardinale

http://sbc.yahoo.com

* Re: Who uses ConTeXt?
@ 2002-07-06 16:19 Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-07-06 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christopher Cardinale wrote:
>2. Better documentation. Mr. Hagen has done an immense amount of work
>in documenting ConTeXt, but after printing out the 330 page manual, I'd
>like something a little more user friendly. It could benefit from a
>more grammatical English translation and a professional editor.
>Everyone needs an editor. It would also be nice to be able to buy it as
>a printed book from Amazon.

I think the documentation is fine as far as it goes, but I would really
like more extensive example documents.  The ONLY sample docs I have
found (though please correct me if I am wrong) is the third-party
package on the ConTeXt site.  This is helpful as a beginning, but I'd
like some more extensive examples.

Why not make the source to a few of the shorter manuals available, for
example (both screen and print versions)?

>4. We need a set of high-quality, robust converters for transforming
>RTF, HTML, LaTeX, and other file formats into ConTeXt documents...

I agree, but the xml support makes this less important to me.  It would
be nice if pdftex supported "tagged pdf", such that the pdf files
ConTeXt produces had their structure embedded in them.  If I understand
right, this would allow easier translation to other formats that
publishers in my field--a social science--generally insist on.

I should say I am just experimenting with ConTeXt at this point...

Bruce