From: John McChesney-Young <panis@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Footnotes Without Text Marks?
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:58:46 -0800	[thread overview]

Adam kindly suggested:

>As you're on a mac, you're probably cut/pasting from your mail client
>into your editor of choice (TeXShop? iTeXMac?).

Yes I did, into TeXShop.

  Most likely that client
>is saving your source file in Mac encoding. Therefore, you should be using:
>   \useregime[mac]
>Instead of win or il1.
>Hope that solves the A-macron problem, at least.

I was experimenting with the example posted by
Peter Münster, with a few more accented
évolutions to put them well into another line:

\fr
\useencoding[ec]
\enableregime[il1]
\starttext
évolution évolution évolution évolution évolution évolution évolution
évolution évolution évolution évolution évolution évolution évolution

evolution evolution evolution evolution evolution evolution evolution
evolution evolution
\stoptext

When I replaced the \enableregime[il1] with
\useregime[Mac] and saved the document in TeXShop
with MacOSRoman encoding the problem is ... um
... solved by the output completely ignoring the
first letter and turning the first word into
"volution"!

However, when I change the command sequence to
\enableregime[Mac] instead of \useregime the
e-aigue *does* work, so thank you very much! It
still doesn't hyphenate, but it's a step in the
right direction. Here's the Overfull \hbox
message from the console, on the off-chance it's
relevant for the hyphenation problem:

Overfull \hbox (17.09685pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 5--7
[]/cmr12/^^Sevolution ^^Sevolution ^^Sevolution ^^Sevolution ^^Sevolution ^^Sev
olution ^^Sevolution ^^Sevolution ^^Sevolution
[1.1{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]
systems        : end file frenchtest at line 10

(end quote)

Thank you very much for the solution to the
diacritical problem! Now I'm going to have to
look in the manual for the difference between
\useregime and \enableregime...

John
--

*** John McChesney-Young  **  panis@pacbell.net