* \totalnumberofpages and \setuparranging [2UP]
@ 2005-12-15  7:08 John Magolske
From: John Magolske @ 2005-12-15  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting \totalnumberofpages to display while using
\setuparranging [2UP].

What I'd like to do is print a letter, two columns to a page, then
cut the page in two so the letter is in long columns with fractional
page numbering at the bottom of each column, 1/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4. But
what's happening is 1/1, 2/2, 3/3, 4/4.

\definepapersize[4.25x11][width=4.25in,height=11in]
\setuppapersize [4.25x11][letter]
\setuplayout[backspace=.75in, width=2.75in,
             topspace=.75in, top=0in,
             header=0in, footer=.5in, height=9.75in]
\setuppagenumbering[location={footer,right},right={~/~}{\lastpage}]
\setuparranging [2UP]

Removing \setuparranging [2UP] allows \totalnumberofpages to work
fine, and upon replacing it, the first run works. But subsequent runs
revert back to 1/1, 2/2, etc.  This is using the texexec --pdf
command.

I read through the thread "\totalnumberofpages & texexec
--pages=1:2", but being new to ConTeXt, I can't quite make out if
that's relevant.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

- John

* Re: \totalnumberofpages and \setuparranging [2UP]
@ 2005-12-15 14:08 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2005-12-15 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

John Magolske wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting \totalnumberofpages to display while using
> \setuparranging [2UP].
In order to get \totalnumberofpages (or \lastpage), the following happens:
- First TeX run -> produces <file>.tui
- TeXutil -> convert <file>.tui into <file>.tuo
- Second TeX run -> reads <file>.tuo
The <file>.tuo file contains the needed information. (texexec calls
texutil automatically and reruns if needed)

If you \setuparranging [2UP], the <file>.tui contains these extra lines:
   c \utilitygenerationaborted
   q {quit}
which prevents TeXutil from creating the needed information.

Why this is done that way, we have to wait for Hans to answer.

Workaround: Run TeX once (texexec ....), remove the two lines, run
"texutil --ref <file>" and run TeX again (texexec ...)

Tobias

* Re: \totalnumberofpages and \setuparranging [2UP]
@ 2005-12-15 16:07   ` Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2005-12-15 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could it be that texexec needs to be run with

texexec --arrange

Johan

2005/12/15, Tobias Burnus <burnus@gmx.de>:
> Hi,
>
> John Magolske wrote:
> > I'm having trouble getting \totalnumberofpages to display while using
> > \setuparranging [2UP].
> In order to get \totalnumberofpages (or \lastpage), the following happens:
> - First TeX run -> produces <file>.tui
> - TeXutil -> convert <file>.tui into <file>.tuo
> - Second TeX run -> reads <file>.tuo
> The <file>.tuo file contains the needed information. (texexec calls
> texutil automatically and reruns if needed)
>
> If you \setuparranging [2UP], the <file>.tui contains these extra lines:
>    c \utilitygenerationaborted
>    q {quit}
> which prevents TeXutil from creating the needed information.
>
> Why this is done that way, we have to wait for Hans to answer.
>
> Workaround: Run TeX once (texexec ....), remove the two lines, run
> "texutil --ref <file>" and run TeX again (texexec ...)
>
> Tobias

Johan Sandblom  N8, MRC, Karolinska sjh
t +46851776108  17176 Stockholm
m +46735521477  Sweden
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the
will to find out, which is the exact opposite"
- Bertrand Russell

* Re: \totalnumberofpages and \setuparranging [2UP]
@ 2005-12-16  5:54     ` John Magolske
From: John Magolske @ 2005-12-16  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, the --arrange option does the trick!
Thankyou Tobias and Johan for the informative replies.

What a nice system ConTeXt is, it's becoming one of my favorite tools.

John