* Re: Mac OS X and texmfstart... [was: texmfstart newbie]
@ 2006-06-28 21:01 Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2006-06-28 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28 juin 2006, at 19:25, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>Thanks for all the Mac-specifics. Can you plese put this on
>http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Mac_Installation?

Hi Mojca,

I did plant in the Garden the procedure for texmfstart:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Mac_Installation#Configuration_of_texmfstart

However I didn't know how to add nice (and useful) links to some
words, when necessary.

>For simplicity also create an executable file called "texexec" with
>the content similar to
>#!/bin/sh
>texmfstart texexec

I didn't get how to do this... Indeed I think (but probably I am
wrong...) even if one creates such a file and make it executable,
then, for scurity reasons, when Mac users copy it to their directory
the resulting file loses its executable bit. Since I am very limited
in the intrecacies of these security aspects if I understand what you
intend I'll add the file you suggest.
On the other hand are you sure one can replace "texexec" with a new
command created with the file you suggest? Is it not "dangerous"?

Thanks again for your help.
Best regards: OK

* Re: Mac OS X and texmfstart... [was: texmfstart newbie]
@ 2006-06-28 20:55 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2006-06-28 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2006-06-28 um 18:07 schrieb Otared Kavian:

> On 28 juin 2006, at 15:11, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> with the content
>>     ruby path-to-context-ruby-scripts/texmfstart.rb
>>
>> What I have is this simple script (and it should work on MacOSX
>> just as well). Name it 'texfmstart', make it executable, fill in
>> the correct path and put it in a binaries directory.
>>

>>    #!/bin/sh
>>    ruby path-to-context-ruby-scripts/texmfstart.rb $@

You could also only set an alias in your .profile (or .bashrc) like
this:

alias texmfstart='ruby /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/scripts/
context/ruby/texmfstart.rb'

This way you don't need to touch any files or directories.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net
http://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Mac OS X and texmfstart... [was: texmfstart newbie]
@ 2006-06-28 16:07 Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2006-06-28 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28 juin 2006, at 15:11, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>with the content
>     ruby path-to-context-ruby-scripts/texmfstart.rb
>
>What I have is this simple script (and it should work on MacOSX
>just as well). Name it 'texfmstart', make it executable, fill in
>the correct path and put it in a binaries directory.
>

>    #!/bin/sh
>    ruby path-to-context-ruby-scripts/texmfstart.rb $@
>

>Cheers, taco

Hi Mojca and Taco,

Thanks to your insights I could finally manage to get rid of the
	"warning: use 'texmfstart texexec' instead"...
Needless to say I feel very proud now :-)

For all those who are shy like me (!) and don't dare ask too trivial
questions, here is what one can do on Mac OS X (and, mutatis
mutandis, probably on any Unix like system):

0) I have teTeX and ConTeXt installed (and updated quite often...)
with Gerben Wierda's i-Installer. In principle there is a directory
(folder...) named
	/usr/local/teTeX/bin/
if you have installed TeX in /usr/local. Otherwise with the command
	locate
in a Terminal window find the directory teTeX/bin/. Here there should
be a subdirectory named
	powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0
or something like that (depending on the type of the processor you have?).
Go there, for instance in my case:
	cd powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0

2) Find the path to "texmfstart.rb": in the Terminal window type
	locate texmfstart.rb
for instance on my system I have two "texmfstart.rb",

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/scripts/context/ruby/texmfstart.rb
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/scripts/context/ruby/texmfstart.rb

the second one is old, while the first one is recent and installed
with Gerben's i-Installer. I assumed (remember we are willing to use
ConTeXt...) that the newer one is the right one...

3) In the Terminal window (while you are in the directory
powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0) type:
	sudo emacs texmfstart
and after giving an su password, in the editor's window type the code
given by Taco, that is the two following lines:

#!/bin/sh
ruby /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/scripts/context/ruby/texmfstart.rb $@

4) Save and exit emacs by typing
	[CTRL]-X [CTRL]-S
and then
	[CTRL]-X [CTRL]-C

5) You have created a script named texmfstart... Now you have to make
it executable, so in the Terminal window (while you are in the
directory powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0) type
	sudo chmod +x texmfstart

6) Now if in any other Terminal window you type, for instance
	texmfstart
or
	texmfstart --version
you should get the version of texmfstart and a series of example usage.

7) If you go to a directory where you have a file named example.tex,
then you can typeset it with ConTeXt by saying:
	texmfstart texexec example.tex
and now you shouldn't have the "warning: use 'texmfstart texexe' instead".
And you are done!

Cheers: OK