From: Mark Smith <mark@bbprojects.net>
Subject: Re: some bib module questions
Date: Mon,  7 Mar 2005 19:38:16 +0100	[thread overview]

This came up a while back...

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>Fei He wrote:
>
>> 1. \setupcite[number][left=[, right=]] did not work. the citation
>> still shows up in the text like (author, year)
>
>In this case, you also need \setuppublications[refcommand=number],
>to change the default alternative for \cite. Or you could have
>used \cite[number][xxx] in the text instead of the defaulted version.
>
>Are you sure you want 'number' instead of 'num'?

...and now I have a similar problem.

I have this in my setup:

        \usemodule[bib]
                \setuppublications[sorttype=cite]
                \setuppublications[criterium=used]
                \setuppublications[numbering=yes]
                \setuppublications[refcommand=number]

                \setupcite[num][left=[, inbetween=-, right=]]

                \setupbibtex[database=myBibTeXfile, sort=no]

I'm using \cite[Cite Key] (e.g. \cite[Bush2005a, Rice2005b] ) for my input file citations.

In my current headache file, My first citation in my input file has four individual references.

I would like to see:

        blah blah [1–4] blah blah

I'm getting:

        blah blah [113, 106, 78, 87]

These numbers generated are the database sequence numbers.

So, obviously I"ve got something wrong in my setup since I want the citations to start at (1) for the first citation and increment as new papers get called irrespective of their order in the .bib file.

I guess:

        refcommand=number

and/or:

        setupcite[num]

are inappropriate and/or something else is missing, but I can't find the magic combo.

I can't tell whether my "citation lists" are going to be compressed (assuming I have correctly surmised what "compressed" means), because I don't get any consecutive runs with the numbering "error". I could fake this to check whether the compression kicks in, but since I'm here already, maybe some fine ConTeXpert could comment on whether I'll get the desired e.g.

        [2,5-7]

rather than:

        [2,5,6,7]

once I get the numbering sorted out ?