* xecontext/bibtex issue ?
@ 2005-03-11 13:56 Mark Smith
From: Mark Smith @ 2005-03-11 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I suppose that, as usual, I am missing something obvious or simple. However, AFAICS it hasn't been discussed recently and isn't mentioned on the XeTeX wiki pages, so...

What is the procedure for invoking bibtex as part of a "XeConTeXt" process ? I can't get this to work.

If I run:

        texexec --xtx myInputFile

first, then texexec stops after generating the xdv. This *always* happens with any input file containing citations, but *never* for input files w/o citations.

(I'm assuming that texexec expects bibtex processing before generating a pdf since the xdv is full of unknown refs ? )

The problem is that bibtex "can't read" the .aux file that is generated by xextex. (This is a general case for all of my test files, all of which run fine as vanilla LaTeX and ConTeXt variants (haven't tried XeLaTeX, but don't need it anyway).)

I can't run bibtex on my input file first obviously.

Do I need to do something (seemingly crazy) like this:

        1. "context"
        2. bibtex
        3. [modify input file preamble]
        4. "xecontext"

Or maybe there is a custom bibtex command for such situations ?

?

wtia,

mark.

* Re: xecontext/bibtex issue ?
@ 2005-03-11 14:10 ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-03-11 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Smith said this at Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:56:06 +0100:

>The problem is that bibtex "can't read" the .aux file that is generated
>by xextex.

Okay, can we see a copy (or reduction) of that file, then?

 Adam T. Lindsay, Computing Dept.     atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Lancaster University, InfoLab21        +44(0)1524/510.514
 Lancaster, LA1 4WA, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/510.492

* Re: xecontext/bibtex issue ?
@ 2005-03-11 14:53   ` Mark Smith
From: Mark Smith @ 2005-03-11 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Lindsay wrote:

>Mark Smith said this at Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:56:06 +0100:
>
>>The problem is that bibtex "can't read" the .aux file that is generated
>>by xextex.
>
>Okay, can we see a copy (or reduction) of that file, then?

Hmm... Interesting. In preparing a short and highly sanitized file *with* citations, I find that the problem no longer exists. Jumped the gun with the assumption about bibtex.

I have three files. They all started out as LaTeX articles. Each could be processed w/o problems:

        latex
        bibtex
        latex
        latex

I then made the necessary modifications to generate a ConTeXt version of each file and:

        context
        bibtex
        context

also ran w/o problems.

However, with the minimum necessary modifications to the preamble:

        "xecontext"

...would stop after generating the xdv and bibtex would not read the .aux.

I found that removing all of the paragraphs and elements containing citations enabled all three files to be processed to pdf via xetex.

Now, having made a sanitized and very short version of one of the three files, but leaving a small number of citations in place, I find that:

        xecontext
        bibtex
        xecontext

...runs fine as expected.

I've got my work cut out to find the problem. Any tips about what I might look for ?

Could it be associated with particular environments or characters ?

wt[and apologies]ia,

mark.

* Re: xecontext/bibtex issue ?
@ 2005-03-11 15:43     ` Mark Smith
From: Mark Smith @ 2005-03-11 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote:

>Any tips about what I might look for ?

Unbelievable. Now all three original files are processing fine in their entirety.

I DID NOT CHANGE ANYTHING.

Very strange.

Does anything get written outside of the current directory during a run ?

Glad everything is *currently* working, but I don't like the fact that I've been having a lot of strangeness since starting with XeTeX processing.

Sorry for noise,

mark.