* Confusion with font instructions
@ 2005-07-03  7:13 David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2005-07-03  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all

I am new to ConTeXt, as my question is about to reveal.

There are now several sets of instructions on the net, some of them very
long essays, about how to enable different fonts for ConTeXt. Before I
dive in:

Which set of instructions should I follow, in order to allow use of
Palatino or Times, on Mac OS X, Gerben Wierda's TeX distribution, latest
ConTeXt installed? I know the information is already out there, just
don't know which pages to trust my afternoon/weekend/summer to.  :-)

Thanks
David

* Re: Re: Confusion with font instructions
@ 2005-07-04 14:28 Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2005-07-04 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

>On 4 juil. 2005, at 9:54, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>Hello David,
>

>>I am new to ConTeXt, as my question is about to reveal.
>>

>This questions can also come from more experienced users :)
>

>>Which set of instructions should I follow, in order to allow use of
>>Palatino or Times, on Mac OS X, Gerben Wierda's TeX distribution, latest
>>ConTeXt installed?
>>

>OK, do you have LaTeX working? Then you can use the standard
>postscript fonts for ConTeXt as well. Have a look at the (yet
>unfinished page)
>
>http://contextgarden.net/Psnfss
>
>Patrick
>--

Hi Patrick, David and Adam,

It is right that handling fonts is extremely disappointing and instable...
For instance, what used to work does not work anymore properly with
the new version of ConTeXt I installed two weeks ago...
For instance:

\usetypescript [adobekb][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[postscript]
\usetypescript[times][\defaultencoding] %or helvetica, or palatino
\setupbodyfont[times,12pt]

used to work fine, but now it results in ConTeXt creating, the first
time, a whole bunch of things regarding fonts, and then the resulting
PDF contains some ugly jagging bitmap-looking characters
(interestingly this happens only to the text characters, not to the
math characters...).

Adding \usetypescript[postscript] does not help neither.

I wanted to answer David's question on Saturday but when I tried my
examples, I was dispappointed and did not answer.

Best regards: OK
PS: When I added two samples of the PDF files to my previous post, it
was blocked due to the fact that the message was over 40 Kb. So I am
posting again without the attachments.