* indenting of first paragraph in (sub)section
@ 2006-12-11 19:08 Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2006-12-11 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I' trying to figure out why

\setupindenting[first,medium,yes]

does not indents the FIRST paragraph of a section or subsection.

An example follows.

Thanks in advance.

\setupbodyfont[lbr,11pt]

\setuppapersize[A4]
\setuplayout[width=17cm,height=28cm, topspace=1cm, header=1cm, footer=1cm, location=middle]

\setupitemize[n,joinedup]
\setuppagenumbering[location=]

\setupwhitespace[medium]
\setupindenting[first,medium,yes]

\showframe

\starttext

\section{INTRODUCTION}

\subsection{Rationale}

Anyone who has been around the computer industry for a decade or more is well aware of this phenomenon: machines are getting exponentially more powerful per unit cost, yet users do not perceive this improvement in the applications that they purchase. For example, while word processors are clearly faster today than they were 21 years ago, they aren't 16,384 times faster as Moore's Law would suggest. Part of the problem, of course, is that some of the additional processing power has been employed to support new features (such as a bit-mapped display), but a large part of the reason software users aren't seeing an increase in speed is because many of today's programmers don't take the time to write efficient software, or they simply {\it don't know} how to write fast code.

\stoptext

--
С наилучшими пожеланиями,
 Vyatcheslav                          mailto:yatskovsky@gmail.com

* Re: indenting of first paragraph in (sub)section
@ 2006-12-11 21:30 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-12-11 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I' trying to figure out why
>
> \setupindenting[first,medium,yes]
>
> does not indents the FIRST paragraph of a section or subsection.

\setupheads[indentnext=yes]

if you want to indent after all heads

or

\setuphead[section,subsection,subsubsection][indentnext=yes]

if you want to control which heads should be indented

Aditya

* Re: indenting of first paragraph in (sub)section
@ 2006-12-11 22:14 ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2006-12-11 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I' trying to figure out why
>
>\setupindenting[first,medium,yes]
>
>does not indents the FIRST paragraph of a section or subsection.
>
>An example follows.
>
>Thanks in advance.

It is normal to not indent the first paragraph, only second and later paragraphs - because indenting is used to separate paragraphs from each other, and the first does not need to be separated from anything (because it was first).

When I add a second paragraph to your example, it is indented according to your instructions.

If you still want to indent the first paragraph, there's probably a way to force it; but I don't know how.