* Trash in messages
@ 2010-04-10  6:30 Michael Talbot-Wilson
From: Michael Talbot-Wilson @ 2010-04-10  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I read this mailing list on a Linux VT (virtual terminal), and I think
it is an unintelligent intrusion for there now to appear at the bottom
of every message, between lines of dashes more than 80 characters wide
when a VT only supports a width of 80 characters, a request for the
contents of messages to be added to the Wiki, exclamation.

It also seems to offend against normal mailing list etiquette.

And the message has already been conveyed to "others as well", beause
it has been posted to a list to which "others as well" have
subscribed.

* Re: Trash in messages
@ 2010-04-10 17:10 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-04-10 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 08:30, Michael Talbot-Wilson wrote:
> I read this mailing list on a Linux VT (virtual terminal), and I think
> it is an unintelligent intrusion for there now to appear at the bottom
> of every message, between lines of dashes more than 80 characters wide
> when a VT only supports a width of 80 characters, a request for the
> contents of messages to be added to the Wiki, exclamation.

We probably never noticed that since almost everyone reads mail from
GUI clients.
Thanks for your remark - it's indeed reasonable to make the message a
few characters shorter (splitting into two lines or dropping the "as
well" part).

> It also seems to offend against normal mailing list etiquette.

How exactly do you mean that?

> And the message has already been conveyed to "others as well", beause
> it has been posted to a list to which "others as well" have
> subscribed.

True, but on wiki it stays permanently, while it is no fun to search
the archives if you don't know what to look for.

Mojca