* drop cap (initial) and indentation
@ 2021-07-18 21:54 Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2021-07-18 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

With the following minimal example:

\definemeasure[CAindent][12pt]
% Every chapter body text starts with a drop cap:
\setupinitial[n=3,m=1,-\measure{CAindent}]]
\setupindenting[yes,\measure{CAindent}]

\starttext
\placeinitial S{\bf{\kap uppose we}} have a system for the approval of
loans. \input knuth
\stoptext

both the initial and the bold stuff after it is indented. With hoffset I can move the initial, but not what comes after. I have been experimenting but haven’t found a way to solve this.

Gerben Wierda (LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerbenwierda>)
R&A Enterprise Architecture <https://ea.rna.nl/> (main site)
Book: Chess and the Art of Enterprise Architecture <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book/>
Book: Mastering ArchiMate <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book-edition-iii/>

PS. switching \kap and \bf has an interesting result, the first character of the words is not in bold. This did not happen with lettrine in mkii

* Re: drop cap (initial) and indentation
@ 2021-07-19  7:56 ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2021-07-19  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2021-07-18, Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda@rna.nl> wrote:
> PS. switching \kap and \bf has an interesting result, the first
> character of the words is not in bold. This did not happen with
> lettrine in mkii

I do not have an answer to your question, but I'd like to point out that
you can keep using lettrine with ConTeXt LMTX, if you wish. You just
need to add the modules manually, currently:

    https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Modules#ConTeXt_LMTX

Nicola

* Re: drop cap (initial) and indentation
@ 2021-07-19 13:56 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2021-07-19 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/18/21 11:54 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
> With the following minimal example:
> [...]
> both the initial and the bold stuff after it is indented. With hoffset I
> can move the initial, but not what comes after. I have been
> experimenting but haven’t found a way to solve this.

Hi Gerben,

this might be what you need:

  % Every chapter body text starts with a drop cap:
  \setupindenting[yes, medium]

  \starttext
  \chapter{Chapter}

  \placeinitial So it was. \input knuth

  \placeinitial So it was. \input knuth

  \noindentation
  \placeinitial So it was. \input knuth
  \stoptext

Sectioning commands never indent next paragraph by default. You have to
type either \setuphead[chapter][indentnext=yes] or
\setupheads[indentnext=yes] to enable it.

If every chapter starts with an initial,
\setuphead[chapter][after={\blank[2*big]\placeinitial}] enables this
automatically (\blank[2*big] is the default command after chapter).

> [...]
> PS. switching \kap and \bf has an interesting result, the first
> character of the words is not in bold. This did not happen with lettrine
> in mkii,

Please, avoid adding questions after a multiline signature (because the
lines might be look like belonging to the signature, and not as a
question to the list).

This might help in LMTX:

  \definefontfeature[allcaps][uppercasing=yes]
  \starttext
  \startTEXpage[offset=1em]
  {\feature[+][allcaps]\bf uppose we}
  \stopTEXpage
  \stoptext

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Use of lettrine module in LMTX
@ 2021-07-21 10:00   ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2021-07-21 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 19 Jul 2021, at 09:56, Nicola <nvitacolonna@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 2021-07-18, Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda@rna.nl> wrote:
>> PS. switching \kap and \bf has an interesting result, the first
>> character of the words is not in bold. This did not happen with
>> lettrine in mkii
>
> I do not have an answer to your question, but I'd like to point out that
> you can keep using lettrine with ConTeXt LMTX, if you wish. You just
> need to add the modules manually, currently:
>
>    https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Modules#ConTeXt_LMTX

I’ve tried this. Installed the modules and then I get with

\definemeasure[CAindent][12pt]
\setupindenting[yes,\measure{CAindent}]
% Every chapter body text starts with a drop cap:

\usemodule[lettrine]
\setuplettrine[Lines=3,
               Hang=.5,
               Oversize=0,
               Raise=0,
               Findent=0pt,
               Nindent=0em,
               Slope=0em,
               Ante=,
               FontHook=,
               TextFont=\sc,
               Image=no]

\starttext
\lettrine{S}{\kap{\bf uppose we}} have a system for the approval of
loans. \input knuth
\stoptext

Result:

tex error       > tex error on line 19 in file ./test.tex: Undefined control sequence

<macro> \m_syst_parameter_n ... \the \LettrineHeight ] X}}\scratchcounter = \numexpr (100*\LettrineHeight )/(\ht \Lettrinetbox /100) - 9999\relax \ifnum \scratchcounter >0 \def \tempa {1.\the \scratchcounter }\else \def \tempa {1}\fi \LettrineFontHook \!!dimena
    = \tempa \Let...
<macro> \dolettrine ...\Lettrinefindent =\LettrineFindent \relax \Lettrinelines =\LettrineLines \relax \setbox \Lettrinelbox \hbox {{\ifx \LettrineImage \v!yes \doLettrineEPS {#2}\else \ifx \LettrineImage \v!true \doLettrineEPS {#2}\else \doLettrineFont
    #2\fi \fi }}\...
<line 4.19> \lettrine{S}{\kap{\bf uppose we}}
     have a system for the approval of
 9                    Raise=0,
10                    Findent=0pt,
11                    Nindent=0em,
12                    Slope=0em,
13                    Ante=,
14                    FontHook=,
15                    TextFont=\sc,
16                    Image=no]
17
18     \starttext
19 >>  \lettrine{S}{\kap{\bf uppose we}} have a system for the approval of
20     loans. \input knuth
21     \stoptext
22
The control sequence at the end of the top line of your error message was never
\def'ed. You can just continue as I'll forget about whatever was undefined.
mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: 256

Gerben Wierda (LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerbenwierda>)
R&A Enterprise Architecture <https://ea.rna.nl/> (main site)
Book: Chess and the Art of Enterprise Architecture <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book/>
Book: Mastering ArchiMate <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book-edition-iii/>

> Nicola

* Re: Use of lettrine module in LMTX
@ 2021-07-21 20:38     ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2021-07-21 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2021-07-21, Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda@rna.nl> wrote:
>> On 19 Jul 2021, at 09:56, Nicola <nvitacolonna@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2021-07-18, Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda@rna.nl> wrote:
>>> PS. switching \kap and \bf has an interesting result, the first
>>> character of the words is not in bold. This did not happen with
>>> lettrine in mkii
>>
>> I do not have an answer to your question, but I'd like to point out that
>> you can keep using lettrine with ConTeXt LMTX, if you wish. You just
>> need to add the modules manually, currently:
>>
>>    https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Modules#ConTeXt_LMTX
>
> I’ve tried this. Installed the modules and then I get with

I was sure that I had used lettrine with MKIV in a document of mine, but
after your reply I double checked that and, in fact, I was using
lettrine only with MKII. On the plus side, I have recovered my settings
for MKIV (which work with LMTX as well).

I think that the `distance` parameter of \setupinitials does what you
want. Besides, if your font provides real small capitals, you may use
\definefirstline.

This is how I set up things in one of my documents:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\definefontfeature[default][default][protrusion=quality,expansion=quality,onum=no,lnum=yes]

% \definefirstline below requires a font that implements small capitals as
% a feature (Latin Modern does not). I have used this:
% \definefontfamily[mainfont][serif][Sorts Mill Goudy] [
%   tf=name:Sorts Mill Goudy Regular,
%   it=name:Sorts Mill Goudy Italic,
% ]
% If you don't have the font above, try this:
\setupbodyfont[heros]

\setupbodyfont[mainfont,11pt]

\definemeasure[CAindent][12pt]
\setupindenting[yes,\measure{CAindent}]

% Every chapter body text starts with a drop cap:
\defineinitial[normal][
  n=3,
  m=1,
  distance=18pt, %%%%%%%%% <== Add this %%%%%%%%
  state=start
]

% Special case: drop cap starting with a quote
\defineinitial[quote][
  n=3,
  m=2,
  distance=13pt,
  hoffset=5pt, % Move drop cap a bit to the left
  method=none
]

% Some initials may need special adjustments, depending on the font
\defineinitial[Q][
  voffset=2\lineheight,
  n=3,
  m=1,
  distance=18pt,
  state=start
]

% Full first line in small caps
\definefirstline[smallcapsfirstline][
  alternative=line,
  style=smallcaps,
]

% First n words in small caps (three in this case)
\definefirstline[smallcapsfirstlinethree][
  alternative=word,
  n=3,
  style=smallcaps,
]

\starttext
\setfirstline[smallcapsfirstlinethree]
\setinitial[normal] Suppose we have a system for the approval of
loans. \input knuth
\blank[2*big]

\setfirstline[smallcapsfirstline]
\setinitial[quote] “Suppose we have a system for the approval of
loans.” \input knuth
\blank[2*big]

\setfirstline[smallcapsfirstline]
\setinitial[Q] Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra? quam diu
etiam furor iste tuus nos1 eludet? quem ad finem sese effrenata iactabit
audacia?

\stoptext
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I hope this will give you some ideas!

    https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/setupinitial
    https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/definefirstline
    https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Sorts-Mill-Goudy

@ 2021-07-21 21:10     ` Wolfgang Schuster
       [not found]       ` <E7086935-5930-40FD-926A-7B881F56E54A@rna.nl>
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2021-07-21 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerben Wierda schrieb am 21.07.2021 um 12:00:
>> On 19 Jul 2021, at 09:56, Nicola <nvitacolonna@gmail.com
>> <mailto:nvitacolonna@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On 2021-07-18, Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda@rna.nl
>> <mailto:gerben.wierda@rna.nl>> wrote:
>>> PS. switching \kap and \bf has an interesting result, the first
>>> character of the words is not in bold. This did not happen with
>>> lettrine in mkii
>>
>> I do not have an answer to your question, but I'd like to point out that
>> you can keep using lettrine with ConTeXt LMTX, if you wish. You just
>> need to add the modules manually, currently:
>>
>> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Modules#ConTeXt_LMTX
>
> I’ve tried this. Installed the modules and then I get with
>
> [...]

Short version:

You get an error message for the \!!dimena command which is used by
the module but doesn't exist anymore.

Long version:

Hans started a few years ago to replace many of the old cryptic names
(e.g. \@EAEA) with sometimes longer but more readable names
(e.g. \doubleexpandafter). A short while ago he removed a few of these
old commands (in this case a length register) in LMTX because they
aren't used anymore in the core.

The lettrine module is very old and never got a proper MkIV/LMTX
version and the use of one of these old commands results in an error.

While it's easy to fix the problem you're going to find the next problem
because LMTX has a new mechanism which is related to paragraph
related settings like indentation. As a result of this new mechanism
\lettrine places the initial to the left of the paragraph without
reserving space to indent the first few lines.

Wolfgang

* Solution: LMTX initial (drop cap) in combination with indenting
@ 2021-07-22  8:05       ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2021-07-22  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [...]
>  alternative=word,
>  n=3,
>  style=smallcaps,
> ]
>
> \starttext
> \setfirstline[smallcapsfirstlinethree]
> \setinitial[normal] Suppose we have a system for the approval of
> loans. \input knuth
> \blank[2*big]
>
> \setfirstline[smallcapsfirstline]
> \setinitial[quote] “Suppose we have a system for the approval of
> loans.” \input knuth
> \blank[2*big]
>
> \setfirstline[smallcapsfirstline]
> \setinitial[Q] Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra? quam diu
> etiam furor iste tuus nos1 eludet? quem ad finem sese effrenata iactabit
> audacia?
>
> \stoptext
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Hi Nicola,

Thanks. This solves the indentation of the initial itself. What remains is the indentation of the text immediately after, e.g. the 'uppose we’. Minimum example (also visible in your example):

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% This combination of indenting and initial does not work properly, the text following the initial should be unindented
\definemeasure[CAindent][12pt]
\setupindenting[yes,\measure{CAindent}]
% Every chapter body text starts with a drop cap:

\defineinitial[normal][n=3,m=1,hoffset=\measure{CAindent},state=start]

\starttext
\setinitial[normal] S {\bf{\kap uppose we}} have a system for the approval of
loans. \input knuth
\stoptext
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The ‘uppose we’ should not be indented more than the lines directly below. I’ve tried everything, e.g. trying some sort of noindent
 but so far without success. Setting indenting to ‘next', for instance, increases the indenting of that first line after the initial.

I’ve found the solution, though:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\definemeasure[CAindent][12pt]
\setupindenting[yes,\measure{CAindent}]
\setupinitial[n=3,m=1]

\starttext
\setupindenting[next]
\placeinitial S {\bf{\kap uppose we}} have a system for the approval of
loans. \input knuth
\stoptext
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

What was required is an explicit \setupindenting[next] before the \placeinitial. After that, the standard setting without tweaking work.

@ 2021-07-23 11:04         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2021-07-23 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerben Wierda schrieb am 22.07.2021 um 08:43:
> So, basically, the page on ConTeXt garden about using older modules in
> LMTX is incomplete: not all modules actually work.

Many of the modules on the garden are 10 years and older and predate
MkIV/LuaTeX.

A lot has changed since then and LMTX added many new commands which replaced
older mechanism. There is no way all modules can work after these changes
(especially modules which add font support in MkII).

Wolfgang

* Re: Use of lettrine module in LMTX
@ 2021-07-23 13:10           ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2021-07-23 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerben Wierda (LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerbenwierda>)
R&A Enterprise Architecture <https://ea.rna.nl/> (main site)
Book: Chess and the Art of Enterprise Architecture <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book/>
Book: Mastering ArchiMate <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book-edition-iii/>

> On 23 Jul 2021, at 13:04, Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Gerben Wierda schrieb am 22.07.2021 um 08:43:
>> So, basically, the page on ConTeXt garden about using older modules in LMTX is incomplete: not all modules actually work.
>
> Many of the modules on the garden are 10 years and older and predate MkIV/LuaTeX.
>
> A lot has changed since then and LMTX added many new commands which replaced
> older mechanism. There is no way all modules can work after these changes
> (especially modules which add font support in MkII).

It is OK and understandable that those modules wil be or become out of date.

I just made a remark on ConTeXtgarden not mentioning this. I have now downloaded those modules because of the suggestion there, but I should remove them again as they are no longer maintained for LMTX and may not work or stop working at any moment.

* Re: Use of lettrine module in LMTX
@ 2021-07-23 13:27             ` Arthur Rosendahl
From: Arthur Rosendahl @ 2021-07-23 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 03:10:59PM +0200, Gerben Wierda wrote:
> I just made a remark on ConTeXtgarden not mentioning this.

  The ConTeXt garden is a collaborative effort; feel free to edit the
page that contains incomplete or inaccurate information.

	Arthur

* Re: Use of lettrine module in LMTX
@ 2021-07-25 20:14               ` Nicola
From: Nicola @ 2021-07-25 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2021-07-23, Arthur Rosendahl <arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 03:10:59PM +0200, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>> I just made a remark on ConTeXtgarden not mentioning this.

I am guilty and apologize for the bad advice. But I'd like to point out
that not *all* the modules are out of date, so you may still want to
retain the directory. For instance, the one I rely upon is the vim
module for typesetting code, and that one is compatible with LMTX. There
may be others.

Nicola

* Modules under LMTX, was Re:  Use of lettrine module in LMTX
@ 2021-07-25 20:53                 ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2021-07-25 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/25/2021 16:14, Nicola wrote:
> On 2021-07-23, Arthur Rosendahl <arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 03:10:59PM +0200, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>>> I just made a remark on ConTeXtgarden not mentioning this.
> I am guilty and apologize for the bad advice. But I'd like to point out
> that not *all* the modules are out of date, so you may still want to
> retain the directory. For instance, the one I rely upon is the vim
> module for typesetting code, and that one is compatible with LMTX. There
> may be others.
>
> Nicola

Indeed, there are modules that appear to work perfectly well with LMTX.

The fancybreak module has no issues in the way I use it.

Perhaps a list of modules known to run correctly with LMTX is called
for, and perhaps a classification of modules to indicate which ConTeXt
versions each supports, and a way to download a distribution-appropriate
subset.

--
Rik

* Re: Modules under LMTX, was Re: Use of lettrine module in LMTX
@ 2021-07-25 22:20                   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2021-07-25 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 25 Jul 2021, Rik Kabel wrote:

> Perhaps a list of modules known to run correctly with LMTX is called
> for, and perhaps a classification of modules to indicate which ConTeXt
> versions each supports, and a way to download a distribution-appropriate
> subset.

For some of my modules, I *.mkii, *.mkiv, *.mkxl so that the engine-appropriate version is selected. Note that if there is LMTX prefers mkxl but will select mkiv if mkxl is not available.

Aditya