* Metafont usage
@ 2010-11-18 22:33 Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz
From: Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz @ 2010-11-18 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi List, hi Hans,

   I want to use the open source MetaFont for suetterlin and
   schwellbacher in a document, is there somewhere a guide where to put
   them and how to load them in ConTeXt or could they be included into
   the ConTeXt tree. If I get a hint how I would also provide a .map
   file for them if needed.

   The link to the fonts is
   http://texcatalogue.sarovar.org/entries/sueterlin.html

   Greetings and thanks for the fast help I get here in gerneral...
--
Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz
Auf dem Sattler 4

++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.
(Interesting Times)

* Re: Metafont usage
@ 2010-11-19 11:18 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-11-19 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/18/2010 11:33 PM, Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz wrote:
> Hi List, hi Hans,
>
>     I want to use the open source MetaFont for suetterlin and
>     schwellbacher in a document, is there somewhere a guide where to put
>     them and how to load them in ConTeXt or could they be included into
>     the ConTeXt tree. If I get a hint how I would also provide a .map
>     file for them if needed.

Using bitmap (metafont) fonts in context is not really supported, I
think. ConTeXt MkIV at least seems to actively disable the .pk bitmap
searching in luatex.

Are you using texlive? (the font is available as a  TL package).

If so, then with an input like this

    \definefont[suetterlin][suet14 sa 1]
    \starttext
    {\suetterlin some text}
    \stoptext

'texexec' should work more or less out of the box.

I said "more or less" because on some systems automatic pk generation is
turned off, and then you may have to call mktexpk by hand, for example:

   $ mktexpk --dpi 514 --mag 12/14 --mfmode localfont suet14

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Metafont usage
@ 2010-11-19 16:14   ` Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz
From: Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz @ 2010-11-19 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In article <4CE65D02.7060605@elvenkind.com>, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> On 11/18/2010 11:33 PM, Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz wrote:
>> Hi List, hi Hans,
>>
>>     I want to use the open source MetaFont for suetterlin and
>>     schwellbacher in a document, is there somewhere a guide where to put
>>     them and how to load them in ConTeXt or could they be included into
>>     the ConTeXt tree. If I get a hint how I would also provide a .map
>>     file for them if needed.
>
> Using bitmap (metafont) fonts in context is not really supported, I
> think. ConTeXt MkIV at least seems to actively disable the .pk bitmap
> searching in luatex.
>
> Are you using texlive? (the font is available as a  TL package).
Nope I use the minimals for context, have TL laying around, but not
using it right now....

> If so, then with an input like this
>
>     \definefont[suetterlin][suet14 sa 1]
>     \starttext
>     {\suetterlin some text}
>     \stoptext
>
> 'texexec' should work more or less out of the box.
>
> I said "more or less" because on some systems automatic pk generation is
> turned off, and then you may have to call mktexpk by hand, for example:
>
>    $ mktexpk --dpi 514 --mag 12/14 --mfmode localfont suet14

Will give it a try, and hopefully it will work, but if not I hopefully
can come back here...
Greetings
Martin
----
Inform all the troops that communications have completely broken down.

* Re: Metafont usage
@ 2010-11-20 21:43     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-11-20 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 17:14, Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz wrote:
> In article <4CE65D02.7060605@elvenkind.com>, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> On 11/18/2010 11:33 PM, Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz wrote:
>>>     I want to use the open source MetaFont for suetterlin and
>> Are you using texlive? (the font is available as a  TL package).
> Nope I use the minimals for context

Metafont fonts won't work in minimals unless you want to fiddle with
the system on your own. We don't ship the needed binaries to start
with ...

Mojca

* Re: Metafont usage
@ 2010-11-20 22:05       ` Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz
From: Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz @ 2010-11-20 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In article <AANLkTimP9Vosif8Qj5ZfZOZpBdLt=Lgd09cXK9t_Nw2i@mail.gmail.com>, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 17:14, Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz wrote:
>>> Are you using texlive? (the font is available as a  TL package).
>> Nope I use the minimals for context
>
> Metafont fonts won't work in minimals unless you want to fiddle with
> the system on your own. We don't ship the needed binaries to start
> with ...

Thanks Mojca for your reply,

	   will see what I get, and perhaps there is a way for me to produce
	   a usable fontstyle and map that I can provide for ConTeXt.

Greetings
--
Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz
e-Mail: scholz.m82@googlemail.com

BOFH Excuse #176:

vapors from evaporating sticky-note adhesives