From: Guy Worthington <guyw@multiline.com.au>
Subject: Re: Lost in the murky detail of designing a page layout
Date: 09 Feb 2003 14:36:05 +0800	[thread overview]

Hello again Patrick,

The reason I've taken so long to reply, is that I've been trying to
understand TeX's line-breaking mechanism.  Your perceptive question:

> Why is there a difference between knuth.tex and tufte.tex in the
> example (try \input tufte instead of \input knuth).

In the example below

%-- tryISOLayout.ctx ----------------------------------------
%output=pdf

\setuppapersize[A4][A4]
\setupencoding[default=texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[cmr,14.4pt]

\def\GoldenRatio{1.61803}
\setbox0\hbox{\dorecurse{26}{\character\recurselevel}}

\setuplayout[width=2.5\wd0,
             header=\lineheight,
             footer=\lineheight,
             height=\GoldenRatio\makeupwidth,
             headerdistance=\dimexpr(
             (\makeupheight-37\lineheight-\headerheight-\footerheight) /2),
	     footerdistance=\headerdistance,
             backspace=\dimexpr(\makeupwidth/7),
             topspace=\dimexpr(\makeupwidth/7)]

\showframe
\starttext
 \startlinenumbering

    \dorecurse{5}{\input tufte}

  \stoplinenumbering

\stoptext

I think is due to TeX trying very hard not to generate a widow line.

Even after fiddling around with \looseness, I couldn't force TeX to
add the 37th line.  I've a feeling that if you come across a
pathological case like the above, you really have to follow Knuth's
advice and rewrite the paragraph.