* Indenting in description
@ 2003-02-26 18:55 Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2003-02-26 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

I have a problem with indent in the description environment (I use the
latest beta of ConTeXt). When I have descriptions that are longer than
one paragraph I want the next paragraphs indented in the same way as the
other parts of the document. Here is a small example showing the
problem.

================ start file ==================
\setupindenting[medium]
\indenting[yes]

\definedescription[testdesc][%
           width=broad,
           location=serried,
           headstyle=bold,
           way=bychapter,
           text={Testdescription: }]
\starttext

\section{Some indenting tests}

This is just a test paragraph. I want to se if the next paragraph is
indented or not. So, sooner or later we will know.
\par
Is this indented? Yes.

\starttestdesc{A nonlucky one}
This is just a test paragraph. I want to se if the next paragraph is
indented or not. So, sooner or later we will know.
\par
Is this indented? No, but I want it to be.
\stoptestdesc

This is just a test paragraph. I want to se if the next paragraph is
indented or not. So, sooner or later we will know.
\par
Is this indented? Yes.

\stoptext
================ stop  file ==================

I also have another question. How can one install Math fonts (lucida)?
When I run texfont as with other fonts texfont reports that it is math
fonts and the installation fail. Should I add another switch? (I tried
with the same switches as I successfully use for other fonts, that is
--in and --ma (besides the --ve and --co))

Best regards, Micke P

* Re: Indenting in description
@ 2003-02-27  2:39 ` Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-02-27  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mikael Persson wrote:

> When I have descriptions that are longer than one paragraph I want
> the next paragraphs indented in the same way as the other parts of
> the document.

If you're looking for an elegant way to do this then stop reading now.

You can, with a bit of brute force and ignorance, reset the \parindent
dimension from within your description environment by reissuing the
imperative \setupindenting[medium]:

-----

\setupindenting[medium]
\indenting[yes]

\definedescription[testdesc][%
           width=broad,
           location=serried,
           headstyle=bold,
           way=bychapter,
           text={Testdescription: }]

\starttext

\section{Some indenting tests}

\starttestdesc{A nonlucky one}
This is just a test paragraph. I want to se if the next paragraph is
indented or not. So, sooner or later we will know.

\setupindenting[medium] % <-- add this
Is this indented? No, but I want it to be.

\stoptestdesc

\stoptext

-----

> I also have another question. How can one install Math fonts (lucida)?
> When I run texfont as with other fonts texfont reports that it is math
> fonts and the installation fail. Should I add another switch? (I tried
> with the same switches as I successfully use for other fonts, that is
> --in and --ma (besides the --ve and --co))

Hans Hagen has done all the hard stuff already, so you can install the
lucida Math fonts by doing nothing.  (Well that's not quite true, I
had to lowercase the .pfb binaries and .tfm metrics in the lucida math
collection).  So for instance, I simply copied the file lbma.pfb over
into my type1 directory, and similarly I copied lbma.tfm into my tfm
directory.

* Re: Re: Indenting in description
@ 2003-02-27  8:46   ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2003-02-27  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27 Feb 2003 10:39:09 +0800
Guy Worthington <guyw@multiline.com.au> wrote:

> Mikael Persson wrote:
>
> > When I have descriptions that are longer than one paragraph I want
> > the next paragraphs indented in the same way as the other parts of
> > the document.
>
> If you're looking for an elegant way to do this then stop reading now.
>
> You can, with a bit of brute force and ignorance, reset the \parindent
> dimension from within your description environment by reissuing the
> imperative \setupindenting[medium]:
>
> -----
>
> \setupindenting[medium]
> \indenting[yes]
>
> \definedescription[testdesc][%
>            width=broad,
>            location=serried,
>            headstyle=bold,
>            way=bychapter,
>            text={Testdescription: }]
>
> \starttext
>
> \section{Some indenting tests}

> \starttestdesc{A nonlucky one}
> This is just a test paragraph. I want to se if the next paragraph is
> indented or not. So, sooner or later we will know.
>
> \setupindenting[medium] % <-- add this
> Is this indented? No, but I want it to be.
>
> \stoptestdesc

> \stoptext
>
> -----

Thank you Guy! That is a solution that will work for now. Even though I
would like a solution that don't force me to add this
\setupindenting[medium] in every description. Maybe I should tell what I
am using it for. I am using the description environment for proofs in my
thesis. Since there are many proofs, there will be many places to add
this indenting stuff, so it would be really nice if there was a switch
to the \setupdescriptions command that let you choose how to do the
indenting.

Maybe I should use another environment than the description one?

> > I also have another question. How can one install Math fonts
> > (lucida)? When I run texfont as with other fonts texfont reports
> > that it is math fonts and the installation fail. Should I add
> > another switch? (I tried with the same switches as I successfully
> > use for other fonts, that is--in and --ma (besides the --ve and
> > --co))
>
> Hans Hagen has done all the hard stuff already, so you can install the
> lucida Math fonts by doing nothing.  (Well that's not quite true, I
> had to lowercase the .pfb binaries and .tfm metrics in the lucida math
> collection).  So for instance, I simply copied the file lbma.pfb over
> into my type1 directory, and similarly I copied lbma.tfm into my tfm
> directory.

Hm, ok. Maybe I got another version of the fonts. I got the fonts that
come with Adobe. I got three .pfb files, lme.pfb (LucidaMath-Extension),
lmi.pfb (LucidaMath-Italic) and lms.pfb (LucidaMath-Symbol). Any tips?

Regards, Micke P

* Re[2]: Re: Indenting in description
@ 2003-02-27  9:10     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-02-27  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thursday, February 27, 2003 Mikael Persson wrote:

MP> Thank you Guy! That is a solution that will work for now. Even though I
MP> would like a solution that don't force me to add this
MP> \setupindenting[medium] in every description. Maybe I should tell what I
MP> am using it for. I am using the description environment for proofs in my
MP> thesis. Since there are many proofs, there will be many places to add
MP> this indenting stuff, so it would be really nice if there was a switch
MP> to the \setupdescriptions command that let you choose how to do the
MP> indenting.

MP> Maybe I should use another environment than the description one?

No, I think we should lobby Hans so that he adds an option to
indent subsequent paragraphs of (all) description-like
environments. It's a *very* important feature.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[2]: Re: Indenting in description
@ 2003-02-27 18:00       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-27 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:10 AM 2/27/2003 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>No, I think we should lobby Hans so that he adds an option to
>indent subsequent paragraphs of (all) description-like
>environments. It's a *very* important feature.

at the cost of a few bytes  ....

.... you'd better test it first in all possible description locations

(only when it is ok i will add it; it then also has to go in enumerations)

% interface=en

\unprotect

\steldoordefinierenin
   [\c!plaats=\v!links,
    \c!kopletter=\v!vet,
    \c!letter=\v!normaal,
    \c!kleur=,
    \c!kopkleur=,
    \c!breedte=8em,
    \c!afstand=0pt,
    \c!hang=,
    \c!monster=,
    \c!uitlijnen=,
    \c!marge=\v!nee,
    \c!voor=\blanko,
    \c!tussen=\blanko,
    \c!na=\blanko,
    \c!springvolgendein=\v!ja,
    \c!inspringen=\v!nooit,
    \c!commando=]

\def\dodoordefinieren[#1][#2]%
   {\copyparameters[\??dd#1][\??dd]
      [\c!plaats,\c!kopletter,\c!letter,\c!kleur,\c!kopkleur,
       \c!breedte,\c!hang,\c!monster,\c!voor,\c!tussen,\c!na,\c!marge,
       \c!inspringen,
       \c!springvolgendein,\c!uitlijnen,\c!tekst,\c!afstand,\c!commando]%
    \getparameters[\??dd#1]
      [\s!do\c!status=\v!stop,
       \s!do\c!commando=\normal@@definitiewoord,
       #2]%
    \doifvalue{\??dd#1\c!plaats}\v!boven
      {\doassign[\??dd#1][\c!tussen={\blanko}]}%
    \setvalue{#1}%
      {\dodoubleempty\@@definitie[#1]}%
    \setvalue{\e!start#1}%
      {\dodoubleempty\@@startdefinitie[#1]}%
    \setvalue{\e!stop#1}%
      {\@@stopdefinitie{#1}}}%

\def\@@dostartdefinitie#1[#2]#3%
   {\getvalue{\??dd#1\c!voor}%
    \begingroup
    \doadaptleftskip{\getvalue{\??dd#1\c!marge}}%
    \showcomposition
    \setbox\@@definitiebox\hbox
      {\forgetall
       \mindermeldingen
       \def\\{\crcr}%
       \doifelsevalue{\??dd#1\c!plaats}\v!aanelkaar
         {\@@definitiewoord{#1}[#2]{#3}{#3}}
         {\@@definitiewoord{#1}[#2]{#3}{\vbox{\halign{\strut##\hss\cr#3\crcr}}}}}%
    \!!widthb\getvalue{\??dd#1\c!afstand}\relax
    \ifdim\!!widthb=\zeropoint\relax
      \doifvalue{\??dd#1\c!breedte}\v!ruim{\!!widthb=1em}%
    \fi
    \assignwidth
      {\!!widtha}
      {\getvalue{\??dd#1\c!breedte}}
      {\doifelsevaluenothing{\??dd#1\c!monster}
         {\unhcopy\@@definitiebox}
         {\doattributes
            {\??dd#1}\c!kopletter\c!kopkleur
            {\getvalue{\??dd#1\c!tekst}\getvalue{\??dd#1\c!monster}}}}
      {\!!widthb}%
%   \parindent\zeropoint\relax
    \doifelsevalue{\??dd#1\c!titeluitlijnen}\v!nee
      {\edef\@@leftdefinitieskip {\the\leftskip }%
       \edef\@@rightdefinitieskip{\the\rightskip}}
      {\ifcase\insidedefinition
         \edef\@@leftdefinitieskip {\the\leftskip }%
         \edef\@@rightdefinitieskip{\the\rightskip}%
       \fi}%
\expanded{\inspringen[\getvalue{\??dd#1\c!inspringen}]}%
    \ifcase\insidedefinition
      \chardef\insidedefinition1
    \or
      \chardef\insidedefinition2
    \fi} % now happens elsewhere : \noindent\ignorespaces

\protect

\starttext

\setupindenting[medium] \indenting[yes]

\definedescription[testdesc][%
             width=broad,
             location=serried,
             headstyle=bold,
             way=bychapter,
indenting={yes,next},
             text={Testdescription: }]

\starttestdesc{A nonlucky one}
  This is just a test paragraph. I want to se if the next
paragraph is
indented or not. So, sooner or later we will know.

Is this indented? No, but I want it to be.
\stoptestdesc

\stoptext

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re[2]: Re: Indenting in description
@ 2003-02-27 18:26         ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2003-02-27 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:00:44 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> At 10:10 AM 2/27/2003 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>
> >No, I think we should lobby Hans so that he adds an option to
> >indent subsequent paragraphs of (all) description-like
> >environments. It's a *very* important feature.
>
> at the cost of a few bytes  ....
>
> .... you'd better test it first in all possible description locations
>
> (only when it is ok i will add it; it then also has to go in >
> enumerations)

*snip*

Wow, Thanks!

I just tried the code here and at least it worked well in my thesis
document. Its about 20 places where new paragraphs occur inside
descriptions, and all of them is indented as they should.

I don't really understand what you mean by "all possible description
locations", but I will gladly test it more if someone tells me :)

@ 2003-02-28  7:44           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-28  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 07:26 PM 2/27/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>*snip*
>
>Wow, Thanks!
>
>I just tried the code here and at least it worked well in my thesis
>document. Its about 20 places where new paragraphs occur inside
>descriptions, and all of them is indented as they should.
>
>I don't really understand what you mean by "all possible description
>locations", but I will gladly test it more if someone tells me :)

   location=left|right|inmargin|...

Hans

@ 2003-02-28  9:29             ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2003-02-28  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 08:44:30 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> At 07:26 PM 2/27/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >*snip*
> >
> >Wow, Thanks!
> >
> >I just tried the code here and at least it worked well in my thesis
> >document. Its about 20 places where new paragraphs occur inside
> >descriptions, and all of them is indented as they should.
> >
> >I don't really understand what you mean by "all possible description
> >locations", but I will gladly test it more if someone tells me :)
>
>    location=left|right|inmargin|...
>
> Hans

Oh *blushing*, I should have understood that :)

I have made a test document now, and it seems to work. It is available
at

http://lillpelle.hemmet.chalmers.se/~micke/tex/desctest/

I hope I didn't miss any locations...

/Micke P

* RE: Re[2]: Re: Indenting in description
@ 2003-03-05  8:23               ` Coydell Rivers
From: Coydell Rivers @ 2003-03-05  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >I just tried the code here and at least it worked well in my thesis
> >document. Its about 20 places where new paragraphs occur inside
> >descriptions, and all of them is indented as they should.
> >
> >I don't really understand what you mean by "all possible description
> >locations", but I will gladly test it more if someone tells me :)
>
>    location=left|right|inmargin|...
>
> Hans

Oh *blushing*, I should have understood that :)

I have made a test document now, and it seems to work. It is available
at

http://lillpelle.hemmet.chalmers.se/~micke/tex/desctest/

I hope I didn't miss any locations...

/Micke P

TO MICKE P
JUST TO SAY THANKS FOR SHARING, YOUR WAY OF PROCESSING CERTAIN FILES, USING
ConTeXt.