* Mathematics in ConTeXt?
@ 2002-09-14 17:53 Emil Hedevang Lohse
From: Emil Hedevang Lohse @ 2002-09-14 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

I would like to know if there has been made any progress in making a
math module for ConTeXt, or is it still just the math of Plain TeX?

Personally I really like (most of) the functionallity of Nath, a LaTeX
package.

Regards,

--
Emil Hedevang Lohse <http://home.imf.au.dk/emil/>

Alle spørgsmål er lige dumme.
Og spørgsmålet "Kan ænder flyve?" er ikke dumt.

* Re: Mathematics in ConTeXt?
@ 2002-09-14 18:15 ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-09-14 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday 14 September 2002 01:53 pm, Emil Hedevang Lohse wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I would like to know if there has been made any progress in making
> a math module for ConTeXt, or is it still just the math of Plain
> TeX?
>
> Personally I really like (most of) the functionallity of Nath, a
> LaTeX package.
>
> Regards,

You mean, to print math or to actually do math on the fly?

John Culleton

* Re: Mathematics in ConTeXt?
@ 2002-09-14 19:05   ` Emil Hedevang Lohse
From: Emil Hedevang Lohse @ 2002-09-14 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> writes:

> On Saturday 14 September 2002 01:53 pm, Emil Hedevang Lohse wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I would like to know if there has been made any progress in making
> > a math module for ConTeXt, or is it still just the math of Plain
> > TeX?
> >
> > Personally I really like (most of) the functionallity of Nath, a
> > LaTeX package.
> >
> > Regards,
>
> You mean, to print math or to actually do math on the fly?

I mean to typeset math.

--

@ 2002-09-15  8:34     ` Taco
From: Taco @ 2002-09-15  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: john, ntg-context

On 14 Sep 2002 21:05:53 +0200
"Emil Hedevang Lohse" <emil@imf.au.dk> wrote:

> > > Personally I really like (most of) the functionallity of Nath, a
> > > LaTeX package.

What does it do?

Taco

* Re: Mathematics in ConTeXt?
@ 2002-09-15 10:39       ` Emil Hedevang Lohse
From: Emil Hedevang Lohse @ 2002-09-15 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: john, ntg-context

Taco <taco@elvenkind.com> writes:

> What does it do?

It makes typesetting beautiful mathematics really easy and is very
convenient to use.

1. There is no need to use \left and \right to make delimiters fit
   their content. (, ) and others automatically scale and they do so
   cleverly, not like \left and \right.

2. Backping "`" can be used to typeset the following word in roman
   letters, that is, $`Mat_{n,m}$ or $`GL(n)$ can be used instead of
   $\Mat_{n,m}$ and $\GL(n)$ where I also have to make up a macro for
   every abbreviation.

3. Multiline subscripts are made by just typing a \\.

4. There is a \wall-\return construct that makes alignment nice too.

5. Fractions are also handled cleverly.

Please take a look at

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/supported/nath/nathguide.pdf

I don't consider Nath to be perfect, but it is indeed better than both
regular LaTeX and Plain TeX.

--
Emil Hedevang Lohse <http://home.imf.au.dk/emil/>

Alle spørgsmål er lige dumme.
Og spørgsmålet "Kan ænder flyve?" er ikke dumt.

* Re[2]: Mathematics in ConTeXt?
@ 2002-09-15 13:13         ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-09-15 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Sunday, September 15, 2002 Emil Hedevang Lohse wrote:

EHL> It makes typesetting beautiful mathematics really easy and is very
EHL> convenient to use.

EHL> 1. There is no need to use \left and \right to make delimiters fit
EHL>    their content. (, ) and others automatically scale and they do so
EHL>    cleverly, not like \left and \right.

EHL> 2. Backping "`" can be used to typeset the following word in roman
EHL>    letters, that is, $`Mat_{n,m}$ or $`GL(n)$ can be used instead of
EHL>    $\Mat_{n,m}$ and $\GL(n)$ where I also have to make up a macro for
EHL>    every abbreviation.

EHL> 3. Multiline subscripts are made by just typing a \\.

EHL> 4. There is a \wall-\return construct that makes alignment nice too.

EHL> 5. Fractions are also handled cleverly.

EHL> Please take a look at

EHL> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/supported/nath/nathguide.pdf

EHL> I don't consider Nath to be perfect, but it is indeed better than both
EHL> regular LaTeX and Plain TeX.

Nath is a hell of a good program. I'm surprised that Taco doesn't
remember it, since it was presented at EuroTeX2001 ... :)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Re[2]: Mathematics in ConTeXt?
@ 2002-09-16  8:19           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-09-16  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emil, ntg-context

Ah, Marvan's thing.

(i stopped paying attention to latex lectures a long time ago)

Bookmarked the url, but no promises. There are too many conflicting
options regarding 'a good math package' to please everyone.

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 15:13:54 +0200, Giuseppe wrote:

> Nath is a hell of a good program. I'm surprised that Taco doesn't
> remember it, since it was presented at EuroTeX2001 ... :)

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: Re[2]: Mathematics in ConTeXt?
@ 2002-09-16 11:30             ` David Antos
From: David Antos @ 2002-09-16 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 10:19:58AM +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Ah, Marvan's thing.

If I remember well, the package should be pretty independent on LaTeX in
its internals.

D.A.

* Re: Mathematics in ConTeXt?
@ 2002-09-16 20:31 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-09-16 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:23 PM 9/14/2002 +0200, Emil Hedevang Lohse wrote:

>Hello.
>
>I would like to know if there has been made any progress in making a
>math module for ConTeXt, or is it still just the math of Plain TeX?

i'm in the process of cleaning up the math module cq. moving a couple of
things to the kernel (for the moment in m-newmat); the breqn stuff is not
always wanted so that will remain in a separate math module (that's taco's
speciality).

Actually, there is not that much special math needed. When someone misses
something: provide me an example, + the corresponding tex/latex/ams code
and I will contextify it.

Also, in context there are thing slike: user defined math environments,
each with their own justification and margins, spacing, etc

>Personally I really like (most of) the functionallity of Nath, a LaTeX
>package.

I remember the talk, sounded like an ok and nice package to me, but the
author told me that he has no plans to make it generic

I just took a quick look at the file:

defines a couple of ifs
does quite some catcode changes
defines local macros with potential conflicting names
a bit of fontdimen trickery
everymath nilling
dollar trickery
isolated equation number handling
hardcoded dimensions
redefinitions of low level (math) macros
redefines quads to fixed measures (sic)
always frenchspacing

so i would probably have to reimplement most of it from scratch ; i also
wonder how the code cooperates with latex and many styles (for instance
font settings followed by loading nath versus reverse order)

maybe some day ...

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl