From: ecashin@coe.uga.edu (Ed L. Cashin)
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: RH 6.0 teTeX (was Re: seeking ConTeXt code) (long)
Date: 06 Sep 1999 16:59:42 -0400	[thread overview]

(Sorry this email is so long, but it has some verbose debugging info.)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> >       * fancy boxes
>
> What are they? Something like \framed?

Yes.  They are boxes like \framed, but in an oval shape or with a
shadow effect.  I was very surprised that it has a known bug where
using fancybox (a standard package that's part of the LaTeX base)
breaks the Table of Contents in LaTeX.  It seems that kind of bug
would be fixed immediately; perhaps LaTeX is too complex to fix.  But
I digress.

> >       * quire collation (for booklet-style pagination but without
> >                 post-processing)
>
> The big manual shows some examples. (dutch but not that hard to
> translate; just ask).

OK.  I have the dutch manual, and I'll take a stab at reading about
the quire collation features when I get ConTeXt working, but so far I
haven't been able to get "Hello, world!" working.  (More below.)

> > Also, any tips on configuring a teTeX installation would be a great
> > help.
>
> That should be rather easy because tetex is context aware. Just make
> sure you have texexec.pl renamed to texexec and copied to the bin path.
> The same for texutil.

I'm using the teTeX that comes with the RedHat 6.0 distribution.  I
hadn't had any trouble with it, but I've had trouble with earlier
teTeX rpms ... anyway, this is what's happenning:

I have a small ConTeXt source file:

    % interface=en

    \starttext
    Hello, world!
    \stoptext
    % (end first.tex)

It won't compile with "texexec --pdf --verbose first", although I've
already uncommented the context lines using texconfig (also tried
fmtutil -edit):

    This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13c-2.1 (Web2C 7.3)
    Sorry, I can't find the format `cont-en.efmt'; will try `context.efmt'.
    I can't find the format file `context.efmt'!

The problem seems to be installation-related, since this is what
happens when I run "texexec --make en" (even though etex.src _is_ in
my installation of teTeX):

    jane:1:ecashin ecashin$ su
    Password:
    [root@jane ecashin]# texexec --make en
    This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13c-2.1 (Web2C 7.3) (INITEX)
    entering extended mode
    (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/config/cont-en.ini
    (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-en.tex
    (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/context.tex
    (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/syst-tex.tex
    (/usr/share/texmf/tex/plain/base/plain.tex Preloading the plain format: codes,
    registers, parameters, fonts,
    skipping \font in plain
    skipping \font in plain
    skipping \font in plain
    skipping \font in plain
    more fonts,
    skipping \font in plain
    skipping \font in plain
    macros, math definitions,
    skipping used \tenex in plain
    output routines, hyphenation
    skipping \input in plain
    skipping \tenrm in plain
    )
    line 171: inserting E-TEX code etex.src etexdefs.lib
    ! I can't find file `etex.src'.
    l.183   \normalinput     etex.src
                                      \relax
    Please type another input file name:
    ! Emergency stop.
    l.183   \normalinput     etex.src
                                      \relax
    No pages of output.
    Transcript written on cont-en.log.
    fmtutil: `pdfetex -ini -efmt=cont-en -progname=context *cont-en.ini' failed.

     TeXExec 1.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-1999

                executable : pdfetex
                 format(s) : en

But ...

    [root@jane ecashin]# locate etex.src
    /usr/share/texmf/etex/plain/base/etex.src

Is the next step to get the teTeX sources and try again, or is this
something that I can work with sticking with my teTeX-from-rpm
installation?

--
--Ed Cashin
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu