* unicode in metafun?
@ 2007-04-06 21:53 Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-04-06 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi to all,

I'm plotting a phonetic formant chart with metapost inside context.
I know I can't use TIPA, but I would be happy with utf8.
So I'm encoding a utf8 file, and I can see the chars in the source.
As an example I see this:

But MP is complaining about not ascii characters.
Even outside MP, just using ConTeXt I'm not able to see the
previously mentioned char.

There's no error with
"œ"
(I guess it's extended ascii?)
but result is \dochar etc printed on resulting pdf.

Is there a way to use unicode symbols with metapost?

(or what else?)

Many thanks as usual

Best

-a-
Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

  I did this interview where I just mentioned that I read Foucault.
Who doesn't in university, right? I was in this strip club giving
this guy a lap dance and all he wanted to do was to discuss Foucault
with me. Well, I can stand naked and do my little dance, or I can
discuss Foucault, but not at the same time; too much information.
(Annabel Chong)

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

  I did this interview where I just mentioned that I read Foucault.
Who doesn't in university, right? I was in this strip club giving
this guy a lap dance and all he wanted to do was to discuss Foucault
with me. Well, I can stand naked and do my little dance, or I can
discuss Foucault, but not at the same time; too much information.
(Annabel Chong)

* Re: unicode in metafun?
@ 2007-04-07  7:16 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-04-07  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrea Valle wrote:

> Is there a way to use unicode symbols with metapost?

If you let context typeset the labels by using \textext
or, even better, \sometxt, you should be able to use
all characters context knows how to use.

Unfortunately, in phonetics, that is very few, because
of the lacking TIPA support.

Best, Taco

* Re: unicode in metafun?
@ 2007-04-07  7:32 ` nicola
From: nicola @ 2007-04-07  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In article <ADB71379-FD10-458F-AF5A-C1D4C9D995A4@di.unito.it>,
 Andrea Valle <valle@di.unito.it> wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I'm plotting a phonetic formant chart with metapost inside context.
> I know I can't use TIPA, but I would be happy with utf8.

I did something similar with XeTeX and ConTeXt using the \sometxt macro,
e.g.:

\definetypeface[myface][rm][Xserif][Charis SIL][default][encoding=uc]
\starttext
\startreusableMPgraphic{fig}
  u := 1cm;
  draw origin--(0,u)--(0,2u)--(0,3u);
  dotlabel.lft(\sometxt{Q}, origin); dotlabel.rt(\sometxt{R}, origin);
  dotlabel.lft(\sometxt{å

* Re: unicode in metafun?
@ 2007-04-08 23:14   ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-04-08 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)