* Re: ! Unable to make mpx file.
@ 2007-03-24  4:12 Steve MC Han
From: Steve MC Han @ 2007-03-24  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

  I was wondering if you could give me some direction. I'm having this error message in doing metapost.

  ! Unable to make mpx file.
l.78 label.bot(btex
                    $\hbox{\sf Rectangle}$ etex, (0,-.6u));

  I looked through internet and found this site,

  http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2002/000272.html

  which describes exactly the same error messages.

  Is there any solution for this? I didn't have any problem with exactly the same file before installed TexLive 2007.

  If you have some solution to give, I would appreciate it very much.

---------------------------------
  Need Mail bonding?

---------------------------------
Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

* Re: ! Unable to make mpx file.
@ 2007-03-24 10:38 ` nicola
From: nicola @ 2007-03-24 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In article <227536.60644.qm@web55306.mail.re4.yahoo.com>,
 Steve MC Han <hmc0907@yahoo.com> wrote:

>   I was wondering if you could give me some direction. I'm having this error
>   message in doing metapost.
>

>   ! Unable to make mpx file.
> l.78 label.bot(btex
>                     $\hbox{\sf Rectangle}$ etex, (0,-.6u));

I don't know if that can help, but I had a similar problem some time ago.
Try

tex --parse-first-line --interaction=nonstopmode mpxerr.tex

to see the error message. In my case, it turned out that the problem was
format-related: latex.fmt had been written by pdfetex, but makempx was
calling tex instead of pdfetex. The solution was to add the line:

TEX=pdfetex

to texmf.cnf. I was experiencing the problem with gwTeX, though: since I
am using TeX Live 2007 I have no problem at all. For your reference,
this is the thread:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.metapost/323/focus=330

Nicola