From: "Thomas Schmitz" <tschmit1@uni-bonn.de>
Subject: Re: Problem with cross references
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 14:44:30 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 14:22:32 +0200
  Robert Blackstone <blackstone.robert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I would like to get some advice concerning a problem, or
>rather a
> nuisance, with internal references.
> I am making a longish document with several chapters,
>all of which are
> separate .tex-files to be input into the main file,
>which contains all
> setups and the skeleton of the document. There are a
>number of cross
> references between elements that sit in different files.
> With some simple test files I checked that this worked
>and that I use
> the proper commands.
> However, with the real files it does not work, that is,
>not
> immediately. Even after 4 or 5 runs I still get ??
>instead of page
> numbers, and then suddenly things are OK. I have no idea
>what happened
> between failure and success and I have no idea what I
>have to do to
> get the proper result immediately.
> It is a nuisance because I cannot be sure the thing
>worked till I have
> checked the entire output after each run, which is
>rather time
> consuming.
> I’m using the latest version of TeXShop with the
>minimals of july 20,
> but older versions show the same symptoms.
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Robert Blackstone

Difficult to analyze, of course, but one thing that
occurred to me: are you using a proper project structure,
with the chapters as components, as described in chapter
2.3 of the manual, or just using \input for the chapters?
Right now, I'm editing a book (~ 300 pages) with
cross-references between chapters, and I don't see any of
the problems you describe.

Btw, the version of TeXshop is irrelevant to the problem,
but you may want to update your minimals.

Thomas