From: "Thomas Schmitz" <tschmit1@uni-bonn.de>
Subject: Re: Continuous chapter numbering without prefixes in documents with parts
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 16:14:14 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 15:33:07 +0200
  Julian Becker <becker.julian@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Thomas, and sorry for not having performed a
>proper search
> priorly.
> Still, the thread you refered me to only provides half
>of what I need (if I
> didn't miss anything):
>
> I added the line:
> \setuphead[chapter][chaptersegments=chapter]
> which indeed got rid of the chapter number prefix.
> Still,  the chapter numbering gets reset in each new
>part. How can I avoid
> that?

Excuse me for sounding a bit grumpy, but please make
complete minimal examples. Which means they should be
compilable, see
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html. Here is one
such example which does what you want (and this solution
could also be found in the list archive):

\definestructureresetset[default][0,0][1]

\setuphead[part][sectionresetset=default]

\setuphead[part][placehead=yes]

\setuphead[chapter][sectionsegments=chapter,ownnumber=yes]

\starttext

\startpart[title=First part]
\startchapter[title=Chapter one]
\input tufte