* question about mplib/mkiv
@ 2008-04-23 20:03 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-04-23 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi,

for my presentations, I have a graphical counter on every slide, so
metapost has to write a graphic for every slide/page that ConTeXt
produces. This works with mkii, but when I process my file in mkiv, I
get this error after page 16:

report >> error: 15 output files written:  ..
Transcript written on mpout.log.

Memory size overflow!
[15.15]
report >> error: no-term
no-error
report >> error: no-term
no-error
report >> error: no-term
no-error
report >> error: no-term
no-error
report >> error: no-term
no-error [16.16]
report >> error: no-term
no-error
report >> error: no-term
no-error
report >> error: no-term
no-error
report >> error: no-term
no-error
report >> error: no-term
no-error [17.17]

Is there any way that I can influence the memory size? 15 doesn't seem
like a whole lot...

Best

Thomas

* Re: question about mplib/mkiv
@ 2008-04-23 23:44 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-23 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for my presentations, I have a graphical counter on every slide, so
> metapost has to write a graphic for every slide/page that ConTeXt
> produces. This works with mkii, but when I process my file in mkiv, I
> get this error after page 16:
>
> report >> error: 15 output files written:  ..
> Transcript written on mpout.log.
>
> Memory size overflow!
> [15.15]
> report >> error: no-term
> no-error
> report >> error: no-term
> no-error
> report >> error: no-term
> no-error
> report >> error: no-term
> no-error
> report >> error: no-term
> no-error [16.16]
> report >> error: no-term
> no-error
> report >> error: no-term
> no-error
> report >> error: no-term
> no-error
> report >> error: no-term
> no-error
> report >> error: no-term
> no-error [17.17]
>
> Is there any way that I can influence the memory size? 15 doesn't seem
> like a whole lot...

hm, maybe something messy with the graphic ... i allocate 2MB of memory
for metafun so ...

anyhow,

\appendtoks\ctxlua{metapost.reset("metafun")}\to\everyshipout

or so, may help, although it's better to see what's the real reason

does

texexec --pdftex --automp yourfile.tex

run ok?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-04-24  4:40   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-04-24  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 24, 2008, at 1:44 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> hm, maybe something messy with the graphic ... i allocate 2MB of
> memory
> for metafun so ...
>
> anyhow,
>
> \appendtoks\ctxlua{metapost.reset("metafun")}\to\everyshipout
>
> or so, may help, although it's better to see what's the real reason
>
> does
>
> texexec --pdftex --automp yourfile.tex
>
> run ok?

Yes, that runs OK. If I insert the \appendtoks... command into the
preamble, I get errors while processing, so there appears to be
something wrong with my graphic. I'll see whether I can nail it down
this afternoon.

Thanks, and best

@ 2008-04-24  6:38   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-04-24  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> for my presentations, I have a graphical counter on every slide, so
>> metapost has to write a graphic for every slide/page that ConTeXt
>> produces. This works with mkii, but when I process my file in mkiv, I
>> get this error after page 16:
>>
>> report >> error: 15 output files written:  ..
>> Transcript written on mpout.log.
>>
>> Memory size overflow!
>> [15.15]

That error indeed comes from mplib, but from the overflow test in
realloc(), not the memory array "overflow" function. You get this
error when you attempt to allocate more than 2^31 bytes. Since that
clearly should not happen, there is a bug somewhere in MPlib. But
I'll need your source to dig it out. (likely you do something we
have never tested yet).

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: question about mplib/mkiv
@ 2008-04-24  8:30     ` Thomas Schmitz
From: Thomas Schmitz @ 2008-04-24  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:38:51 +0200
  Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> That error indeed comes from mplib, but from the
>overflow test in
> realloc(), not the memory array "overflow" function. You
>get this
> error when you attempt to allocate more than 2^31 bytes.
>Since that
> clearly should not happen, there is a bug somewhere in
>MPlib. But
> I'll need your source to dig it out. (likely you do
>something we
> have never tested yet).

Thanks Taco. I will try to produce a minimal example this
afternoon/evening. The problem occurs with one of my
presentation modes, but I have other documents with the
same module which don't trigger the error, so I'll have to
spend some time debugging.

@ 2008-04-24 19:41     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-04-24 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 24, 2008, at 8:38 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> That error indeed comes from mplib, but from the overflow test in
> realloc(), not the memory array "overflow" function. You get this
> error when you attempt to allocate more than 2^31 bytes. Since that
> clearly should not happen, there is a bug somewhere in MPlib. But
> I'll need your source to dig it out. (likely you do something we
> have never tested yet).

Just for the record: Taco found and squished this bug; the new luatex
trunk doesn't have it anymore. Thanks for the swift action!

@ 2008-04-24 20:20       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-24 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Apr 24, 2008, at 8:38 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> That error indeed comes from mplib, but from the overflow test in
>> realloc(), not the memory array "overflow" function. You get this
>> error when you attempt to allocate more than 2^31 bytes. Since that
>> clearly should not happen, there is a bug somewhere in MPlib. But
>> I'll need your source to dig it out. (likely you do something we
>> have never tested yet).
>>

> Just for the record: Taco found and squished this bug; the new luatex
> trunk doesn't have it anymore. Thanks for the swift action!

the next mkiv upload will have a bit better reporter for such cases

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE