* grid in footnotes, was: Re:  footnote marks fail
@ 2010-04-13 13:33 Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-04-13 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Peter M?nster wrote:

> \setupfootnotes[numbercommand=, textcommand=, style=, textstyle=,
>  bodyfont=]

Thanks, Peter.  With some experimentation I got what I wanted.  For
the record, I'm using:

\definefontfeature[su][body][sups=yes,ordn=yes]%superior
\definefontfeature[nu][body][numr=yes]%numerator
\definefontfeature[po][body][pnum=yes,onum=yes]%proportional old style

\newcommand{\fnmstyle}{\addff{nu}\switchtobodyfont[12pt]}
\newcommand{\fntstyle}{\addff{po}}
\setupnote[footnote][location=columns,numbercommand=\fnmstyle,textcommand=\fntstyle,textstyle=\addff{su},align={normal,hanging},split=verystrict,interaction=yes]

I don't know quite why it works, but it works---except for one little
thing---there is a little vertical space between each footnote
(apparently because of the \switchtobodyfont[12pt]).

So I have one more question:  is there a way to force the footnotes
onto their own grid to prevent this?  I am already using
\setuplayout[...,grid=verytolerant], which I thought would take care
of it.

* Re: grid in footnotes, was: Re:  footnote marks fail
@ 2010-04-14 14:31 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-04-14 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13-4-2010 3:33, Michael Saunders wrote:
> Peter M?nster wrote:
>

>> \setupfootnotes[numbercommand=, textcommand=, style=, textstyle=,
>>   bodyfont=]
>
> Thanks, Peter.  With some experimentation I got what I wanted.  For
> the record, I'm using:
>
> \definefontfeature[su][body][sups=yes,ordn=yes]%superior
> \definefontfeature[nu][body][numr=yes]%numerator
> \definefontfeature[po][body][pnum=yes,onum=yes]%proportional old style
>
> \newcommand{\fnmstyle}{\addff{nu}\switchtobodyfont[12pt]}
> \newcommand{\fntstyle}{\addff{po}}

i was not even aware that \newcommand was there ... probably more a
catch for bibtex issues

> \setupnote[footnote][location=columns,numbercommand=\fnmstyle,textcommand=\fntstyle,textstyle=\addff{su},align={normal,hanging},split=verystrict,interaction=yes]
>
> I don't know quite why it works, but it works---except for one little
> thing---there is a little vertical space between each footnote
> (apparently because of the \switchtobodyfont[12pt]).

that will indeed define the interlinespace; also, the regular \high
command does some snapping while with the supp feature you're dependent
on what the fonts delivers as ht/dp of a glyph

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-04-14 14:58 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-04-14 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-14 14:51 Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-04-14 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> i was not even aware that \newcommand was there ... probably more a
catch for bibtex issues

I have been using it a lot since, although Context seems to use a lot
of brackets, it won't allow nested ones.  For example, I have to use:

\newcommand{\hfstyle}{\switchtobodyfont[15pt]}
\setupheader[style=\hfstyle]

because I'll get an error from:

\setupheader[style=\switchtobodyfont[15pt]]

Is there an easier way?

> > \setupnote[footnote][location=columns,numbercommand=\fnmstyle,textcommand=\fntstyle,textstyle=\addff{su},align={normal,hanging},split=verystrict,interaction=yes]
> >
> > I don't know quite why it works, but it works---except for one little
> > thing---there is a little vertical space between each footnote
> (apparently because of the \switchtobodyfont[12pt]).
> >
> that will indeed define the interlinespace; also, the regular \high
> command does some snapping while with the supp feature you're dependent
> on what the fonts delivers as ht/dp of a glyph

I don't see how could you possibly use \high{} for the footnote marks
(\setupnote[footnote][?]).  Besides, as I understand it, \high{} just
rescales the body font---which always looks bad.   So, I don't want to
use \high{}.  I use my numr feature which gives me exactly the right
shape and height, but I have a little space between the footnotes.
How do I eliminate the space?  Maybe by setting a verytolerant grid
for the footnotes?  I don't know how.