* Systemwide installation does not work
@ 2016-10-18 15:02 Roger Mason
       [not found] ` <CALBOmsYYOC+zxRP0fJfLOvWwrUS+qR67L2hrcX+Z55icxQ1S8A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Roger Mason @ 2016-10-18 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

System: FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE-p18.

I deleted my old context installation and followed the instructions
here:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone#Standalone

for a 'System-wide installation' in /opt/context

Here is what happens:

sh ./first-setup.sh --modules=all
receiving incremental file list
bin/
bin/luatex
bin/mtx-update.lua
bin/mtxrun
bin/texlua -> luatex

sent 92 bytes  received 11,386,172 bytes  843,426.96 bytes/sec
total size is 11,383,119  speedup is 1.00
/opt/context/bin/texlua: ELF: not found
/opt/context/bin/texlua: 0@x®¤@8: not found
/opt/context/bin/texlua: @x®¤@8: not found
/opt/context/bin/texlua: x®¤@8: not found
/opt/context/bin/texlua: ¤@8: not found
/opt/context/bin/texlua: @8: not found
/opt/context/bin/texlua: @8: not found
/opt/context/bin/texlua: @8: not found
/opt/context/bin/texlua: @@@@0LLLLzMBzMBtt®t®9ØpY77´7´P$L$$Påtd¦
¦¦ôôæÛ£ettRåtdtt®t®XëXë: not found
/opt/context/bin/texlua: 5´h: not found
/opt/context/bin/texlua: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
/opt/context/bin/texlua: 18: Syntax error: Error in command substitution

When you want to use context, you need to initialize the tree by typing:

  . /opt/context/tex/setuptex

in your shell or add
  "/opt/context/tex/texmf-freebsd-amd64/bin"
to PATH variable if you want to set it permanently.
This can usually be done in .bashrc, .bash_profile
(or whatever file is used to initialize your shell).

Something seems to be broken.  Can someone help?

Thanks,
Roger

* Re: Systemwide installation does not work
@ 2016-10-18 16:43 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found] ` <CALBOmsYYOC+zxRP0fJfLOvWwrUS+qR67L2hrcX+Z55icxQ1S8A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-10-18 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/18/2016 5:02 PM, Roger Mason wrote:
> Hello,
>
> System: FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE-p18.
>
> I deleted my old context installation and followed the instructions
> here:
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone#Standalone
>
> for a 'System-wide installation' in /opt/context
>
> Here is what happens:

Challenge for Alan ...

       [not found]       ` <A633D4C2-1328-4FDE-96DD-6BD6A07E89A6@cea.fr>
@ 2016-10-18 18:00         ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2016-10-18 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Braslau; +Cc: ntg-context, Mojca Miklavec

Hello all,

Alan Braslau <alan.braslau@cea.fr> writes:

> After forcing a rebuild of the freebsd binaries and committing them to
> the garden, first-setup.sh now seems to work correctly. Would you try
> again installing on your system?
>
> I will try to see with Mojca what went wrong with the server: why
> committing openbsd binaries overwrote the freebsd binaries.
>
> Sorry for any inconvenience.

No apology required.  On the contrary, thank you for the work
you do in providing the binaries, it is very much appreciated.

I can confirm that everything is now working again.

Best wishes,
Roger

* Re: FreeBSD binaries - was: Systemwide installation does not work
@ 2016-10-18 21:55           ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2016-10-18 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mailing list:

There was some fluctuation in the FreeBSD binaries being distributed on contextgarden.net.

With the recent introduction of FreeBSD 11.0, the GPL3-tainted GNU libstdc++ has been dropped in favor of a new, clean libc++. This follows on the switch from gcc to clang that took place with the introduction of FreeBSD 10.0. As a result, the new binaries compiled on FreeBSD 11.0 failed to work on older systems, i.e. FreeBSD 9.3 (still in production/supported). We now take care to provide binaries compiled under FreeBSD 9.3 on the garden, at least until this version gets phased-out at the end of the year.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/NewC++Stack

Mac users should note that MacOS closely follows similar developments as FreeBSD.

(TEXLive, being even more conservative, distributes binaries compiled under FreeBSD 7.3.)

Alan

P.S. The present thread started as the FreeBSD binaries got crushed by new OpenBSD binaries that will soon be available on the garden, helping us also understand the above new shared-library issue.

* Re: FreeBSD binaries - was: Systemwide installation does not work
@ 2016-10-19 23:13             ` Nikola Lečić
From: Nikola Lečić @ 2016-10-19 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)