* letter module
@ 2008-08-13 13:34 Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2008-08-13 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I just downloaded the letter module and installed it by unzipping the
t-letter.zip file into /usr/local/context_minimal/.

When I try a test letter:

\usemodule[letter]

\starttext
\startletter
  It is raining again.
\stopletter
\stoptext

context fails with:

systems         : system commands are enabled
system          : module letter not found
(/usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/sort-lan.tex
(/usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/sort-lan.mkii))
(/usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/pdfr-def.tex)
systems         : begin file ltrtest at line 3
! Undefined control sequence.
l.4 \startletter

?

The log file tells me

"ConTeXt ver: 2007.08.08 14:35 MKII fmt: 2008.5.6 int:
english/english"

This is on a Gentoo Linux system.

Thanks for any help,
Roger

* Re: letter module
@ 2008-08-13 13:51 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-08-13 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Roger Mason <rmason@esd.mun.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just downloaded the letter module and installed it by unzipping the
> t-letter.zip file into /usr/local/context_minimal/.
>
> When I try a test letter:
>
> \usemodule[letter]
>
> \starttext
> \startletter
>  It is raining again.
> \stopletter
> \stoptext
>
> context fails with:
>
> systems         : system commands are enabled
> system          : module letter not found
> (/usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/sort-lan.tex
> (/usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/sort-lan.mkii))
> (/usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/pdfr-def.tex)
> systems         : begin file ltrtest at line 3
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.4 \startletter
>
> ?
>
> The log file tells me
>
> "ConTeXt ver: 2007.08.08 14:35 MKII fmt: 2008.5.6 int:
> english/english"
>
> This is on a Gentoo Linux system.

Update the file database with 'mktexlsr' or 'texhash'.

Wolfgang

* Re: letter module
@ 2008-08-14 10:02   ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2008-08-14 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

"Wolfgang Schuster" <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Roger Mason <rmason@esd.mun.ca> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just downloaded the letter module and installed it by unzipping the
>> t-letter.zip file into /usr/local/context_minimal/.
>>
>> When I try a test letter:
>>
>> \usemodule[letter]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \startletter
>>  It is raining again.
>> \stopletter
>> \stoptext
>>
>> context fails with:
>>
>> systems         : system commands are enabled
>> system          : module letter not found
>> (/usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/sort-lan.tex
>> (/usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/sort-lan.mkii))
>> (/usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/pdfr-def.tex)
>> systems         : begin file ltrtest at line 3
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> l.4 \startletter
>>
>> ?
>>
>> The log file tells me
>>
>> "ConTeXt ver: 2007.08.08 14:35 MKII fmt: 2008.5.6 int:
>> english/english"
>>
>> This is on a Gentoo Linux system.
>
> Update the file database with 'mktexlsr' or 'texhash'.

texhash: Updating /usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-extra/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-fonts/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-linux/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-local/ls-R...
texhash: Done.

Unfortunately that did not fix it.  I get the exact same error.

Thanks for your help.

Roger

* Re: letter module
@ 2008-08-14 13:32     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-08-14 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Roger Mason <rmason@esd.mun.ca> wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> "Wolfgang Schuster" <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Roger Mason <rmason@esd.mun.ca> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just downloaded the letter module and installed it by unzipping the
>>> t-letter.zip file into /usr/local/context_minimal/.
>>>
>>> When I try a test letter:
>>>
>>> \usemodule[letter]
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> \startletter
>>>  It is raining again.
>>> \stopletter
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> context fails with:
>>>
>>> systems         : system commands are enabled
>>> system          : module letter not found
>>> (/usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/sort-lan.tex
>>> (/usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/sort-lan.mkii))
>>> (/usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/pdfr-def.tex)
>>> systems         : begin file ltrtest at line 3
>>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>>> l.4 \startletter
>>>
>>> ?
>>>
>>> The log file tells me
>>>
>>> "ConTeXt ver: 2007.08.08 14:35 MKII fmt: 2008.5.6 int:
>>> english/english"
>>>
>>> This is on a Gentoo Linux system.
>>
>> Update the file database with 'mktexlsr' or 'texhash'.
>>

> texhash: Updating /usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf/ls-R...
> texhash: Updating /usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-extra/ls-R...
> texhash: Updating /usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-fonts/ls-R...
> texhash: Updating /usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-linux/ls-R...
> texhash: Updating /usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-local/ls-R...
> texhash: Done.
>
> Unfortunately that did not fix it.  I get the exact same error.

Unzip the archive either in '/usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-local/'
or in in the local TeX tree in your home folder.

Wolfgang

* Re: letter module
@ 2008-08-14 20:02       ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2008-08-14 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang & Mojca,

"Wolfgang Schuster" <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:

and

"Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> writes:

> Unzip the archive either in '/usr/local/context_minimal/tex/texmf-local/'
> or in in the local TeX tree in your home folder.

Thank you both very much.  It is working now.  I should learn to read
log files more attentively.

Best wishes,
Roger

* Re: Letter module
@ 2014-06-29  8:00   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-06-29  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.06.2014 um 15:55 schrieb Mo Abrahams <moabrahams+context@dashavoo.com>:

> Hello again,
>
> I managed to get the backaddress looking how I wanted by reading again
> through the main ConTeXt manual. I've also got my letterhead loading as
> the page background to some degree like so:
>
> \defineletterelement[layer][lettermain][Stationery]{\externalfigure[letterhead][width=210mm,height=297mm]}
>
> \setupletterlayer
>  [lettermain]
>  [x=0mm,
>   y=0mm,
>   alternative=Stationery]
>
> but there seems to be a tiny border around it rather than being flush to
> the edges of the page. I've tried other methods using layers and
> \setupbackgrounds but they seem to have no effect at all.
>
> Can someone help with that?
>
> I still haven't worked out how to remove the lavel above the date, and
> to make matters worse it doesn't seem to be affected by changing the
> document language either!

To put a image in the background you can use the “backgroundimage” key for the \setupletteroptions
command, the image will then be placed in the back of each page.

\usemodule[letter]

\setupexternalfigures[location=default]

\setupletteroptions[backgroundimage=mill]

\startletter
\dorecurse{6}{\input knuth\par}
\stopletter

You can also use the “lettermain” and “letternext” layers when you want more control about the placement
of the backgrounds. What’s missing in your setup above is to remove the offset for background which can
be done with \setupletterframe[…][offset=overlay], to control on which page the image is shown you can
use the “state” key for \setupletterlayer.

\usemodule[letter]

\setupexternalfigures[location=default]

\startsetups[letter:layer:lettermain]
  \externalfigure[mill][width=210mm,height=297mm]
\stopsetups

\setupletterlayer
 [lettermain]
 [x=0mm,
  y=0mm,
 %state=repeat,
  alternative=setups]

\setupletterframe
 [lettermain]
 [offset=overlay]

\startletter
\dorecurse{6}{\input knuth\par}
\stopletter

Wolfgang

* Re: Letter module
@ 2014-06-26 13:55 ` Mo Abrahams
From: Mo Abrahams @ 2014-06-26 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[...]

Mo.

--
Mo

* Letter module
@ 2014-06-25 15:30 Mo Abrahams
From: Mo Abrahams @ 2014-06-25 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2009-09-21 19:00 Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-09-21 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I uploaded a new version of the letter module that deals with the recent
changes in the MkIV spacing model, as a result of this you need todays
beta (2009.09.21) or later.

For MkII users this message is unimportant because the changes don't
affect
them and older installations can be used without problems, if there are
problems report them and I will fix it.

Wolfgang