* How to capture a typeset page into a box instead of shipping it out
@ 2009-01-30 23:34 Kevin D. Robbins
From: Kevin D. Robbins @ 2009-01-30 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

I am looking for ideas of how to capture a typeset page (as it would appear
in the resulting pdf output) into a box instead of actually shipping it out
directly, if it is possible. I would like to take advantage of ConTeXt's
layout features including layers, otherwise I would just create the box with
\setbox.

My intent is to draw slides using all of ConTeXt's many layout features, but
capture the rendered slide in a box so I can use it either as a full page in
the presentation output or as a scaled image included as a figure in a full
text "train the trainer" document.

Thanks,

Kevin Robbins

* Re: How to capture a typeset page into a box instead of shipping it out
@ 2009-01-31  1:32 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-01-31  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Kevin D. Robbins <
krobbins@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for ideas of how to capture a typeset page (as it would appear
> in the resulting pdf output) into a box instead of actually shipping it out
> directly, if it is possible. I would like to take advantage of ConTeXt's
> layout features including layers, otherwise I would just create the box with
> \setbox.

It's not an answer, but I think that it's an OTR (output routine) +
mutlipass problem.
if you search for 'OTR' in base/*
you will find what you need.
Also lua offers a table serializazion which can be useful instead of
\showbox .

> My intent is to draw slides using all of ConTeXt's many layout features,
> but capture the rendered slide in a box so I can use it either as a full
> page in the presentation output or as a scaled image included as a figure in
> a full text "train the trainer" document.

Why  the final pdf is not OK ?
You can convert an arbitrary  page to a bitmap with ghostscript .
--
luigi

* Re: How to capture a typeset page into a box instead of shipping it out
@ 2009-01-31  9:18 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-31  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 31.01.2009 um 00:34 schrieb Kevin D. Robbins:

> I am looking for ideas of how to capture a typeset page (as it would
> appear in the resulting pdf output) into a box instead of actually
> shipping it out directly, if it is possible. I would like to take
> advantage of ConTeXt's layout features including layers, otherwise I
> would just create the box with \setbox.

That's AFAIK not possible. Layer are not limited to the complete page,
you could use them also with \framed and with streams you get many
features of the page builder.

> My intent is to draw slides using all of ConTeXt's many layout
> features, but capture the rendered slide in a box so I can use it
> either as a full page in the presentation output or as a scaled
> image included as a figure in a full text "train the trainer"
> document.

Why don't you include the pages from the finished pdf, with ConTeXt's
modes it is possible to wrote both parts in one document and create
two files.

Wolfgang

* Re: How to capture a typeset page into a box instead of shipping it out
@ 2009-01-31 20:49   ` Kevin D. Robbins
From: Kevin D. Robbins @ 2009-01-31 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the suggestions Wolfgang and Luigi. I've now got several good
options to research.

Kevin

@ 2009-02-01 20:29     ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2009-02-01 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)