* Context & emacs-muse [possibly OT]
@ 2009-10-17 16:57 Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2009-10-17 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I'm using emacs-muse to write a document to be published to ConTeXt.
The document contains a little math.  According to this wiki page:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_and_emacs-muse#Math it is possible
to include math in muse using <math> and </math> tags, which trigger
corresponding $ markup in the ConTeXt output.

The problem is that a muse expression like <math>\sum type = nMn</math>
is published as

\switchtobodyfont[small]math\switchtobodyfont[big]\textbackslash{}sum
type = nMn\switchtobodyfont[small]/math\switchtobodyfont[big]

rather than the expected $\sum type = nMn$.

The muse manual for the version I'm using (3.12) makes no mention of the
<math> tags, so I'm wondering if it is an add-on written by (or
available to) someone on this list.

Thanks for any help (and sorry if this is a bit off topic).

Roger

* Re: Context & emacs-muse [possibly OT]
@ 2009-10-17 17:50 ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2009-10-17 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le 17 octobre à 18:57:35 Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca> écrit notamment:

| Hello,
>
| I'm using emacs-muse to write a document to be published to ConTeXt.
| The document contains a little math.  According to this wiki page:
| http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_and_emacs-muse#Math it is possible
| to include math in muse using <math> and </math> tags, which trigger
| corresponding $ markup in the ConTeXt output.
>
| The problem is that a muse expression like <math>\sum type = nMn</math>
| is published as
>
| \switchtobodyfont[small]math\switchtobodyfont[big]\textbackslash{}sum
| type = nMn\switchtobodyfont[small]/math\switchtobodyfont[big]
>
| rather than the expected $\sum type = nMn$.
>
| The muse manual for the version I'm using (3.12) makes no mention of the
| <math> tags, so I'm wondering if it is an add-on written by (or
| available to) someone on this list.
>
| Thanks for any help (and sorry if this is a bit off topic).
>
| Roger

The< math> tag is indeed part of the official muse.

A muse file containig only this:

 <math>\sum type = nMn</math>

works OK here. Are you sure you did'nt insert spaces like in "< math >",
which ought to give a result like yours?

Can you try a minimal example like mine?

And what part of the muse files did you require (should be at least muse,
muse-publish and muse-context)?
--
Jean

* Re: Context & emacs-muse [possibly OT]
@ 2009-10-19 13:03   ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2009-10-19 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Jean,

Jean Magnan de Bornier <jm.bornier@free.fr> writes:

> The< math> tag is indeed part of the official muse.
>
> A muse file containig only this:
>
>  <math>\sum type = nMn</math>
>
> works OK here. Are you sure you did'nt insert spaces like in "< math >",
> which ought to give a result like yours?

Yes, I'm sure.

> Can you try a minimal example like mine?

Cutting and pasting the above produces the output I included in my
original post.

> And what part of the muse files did you require (should be at least muse,
> muse-publish and muse-context)?

At the top of my .emacs I have:

(load "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-gentoo")

That file contains (among other things):

(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/muse")
(require 'muse-autoloads)

In the body of my .emacs I have:

(require 'muse-html)     ; load publishing styles I use
(require 'muse-latex)
(require 'muse-texinfo)
(require 'muse-docbook)
(require 'muse-context)
(require 'muse-project)  ; publish files in projects
(setq muse-colors-inline-images nil)     ; Don't inline images

Many thanks for your help.

@ 2009-10-19 17:22     ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2009-10-19 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le 19 octobre à 15:03:24 Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca> écrit notamment:
Hello,

| > The< math> tag is indeed part of the official muse.
| >
| > A muse file containig only this:
| >
| >  <math>\sum type = nMn</math>
| >
| > works OK here. Are you sure you did'nt insert spaces like in "< math >",
| > which ought to give a result like yours?
>
| Yes, I'm sure.
>

| > Can you try a minimal example like mine?
>
| Cutting and pasting the above produces the output I included in my
| original post.
>
| > And what part of the muse files did you require (should be at least muse,
| > muse-publish and muse-context)?
>
| At the top of my .emacs I have:
>
| (load "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-gentoo")
>
| That file contains (among other things):
>
| (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/muse")
| (require 'muse-autoloads)
>
| In the body of my .emacs I have:
>
| (require 'muse-html)     ; load publishing styles I use
| (require 'muse-latex)
| (require 'muse-texinfo)
| (require 'muse-docbook)
| (require 'muse-context)
| (require 'muse-project)  ; publish files in projects
| (setq muse-colors-inline-images nil)     ; Don't inline images

All correct then.
If I understand correctly you use gentoo's muse package. Maybe the problem
is there, but it is hard for me to test that, I have a non-packaged muse
installation.

Can you show the value of muse-context-markup-specials-document?

cheers,

PS: what happens if you use latex instead of context?
--
Jean

* Re: Context & emacs-muse [possibly OT]
@ 2009-10-19 18:38       ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2009-10-19 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jean,

Jean Magnan de Bornier <jm.bornier@free.fr> writes:

> All correct then.
> If I understand correctly you use gentoo's muse package. Maybe the problem
> is there, but it is hard for me to test that, I have a non-packaged muse
> installation.
>
> Can you show the value of muse-context-markup-specials-document?

Value:
((92 . "\\textbackslash{}")
 (95 . "\\textunderscore{}")
 (60 . "\\switchtobodyfont[small]")
 (62 . "\\switchtobodyfont[big]")
 (94 . "\\^")
 (126 . "\\~")
 (64 . "\\@")
 (36 . "\\$")
 (37 . "\\%")
 (123 . "\\{")
 (125 . "\\}")
 (38 . "\\&")
 (35 . "\\#"))

> PS: what happens if you use latex instead of context?

The latex file contains:

\textless{}math\textgreater{}\textbackslash{}sum type =
nMn\textless{}/math\textgreater{}

Cheers,

@ 2009-10-19 19:08         ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2009-10-19 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le 19 octobre à 20:38:18 Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca> écrit notamment:
Hi Roger,

Sorry I'm so slow today!!
You have to say (require 'muse-latex2png)

This is the file where the <math> and <latex> tags are defined.
cheers,
--
Jean

* Re: Context & emacs-muse [possibly OT]
@ 2009-10-19 19:16           ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2009-10-19 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jean,

Jean Magnan de Bornier <jm.bornier@free.fr> writes:

> Le 19 octobre à 20:38:18 Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca> écrit notamment:
> Hi Roger,
>
> Sorry I'm so slow today!!
> You have to say (require 'muse-latex2png)
>
> This is the file where the <math> and <latex> tags are defined.
> cheers,

Bingo!

Many thanks,

Roger