* Setting width of table column
@ 2011-05-12 17:34 Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2011-05-12 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I cannot find how to set the width of a table column.  I am running
MkII.  The manual gives this: w<> set minimum column width at specified
value

I have currently: \starttable[|l|l|w5cm l|p|]

but that italicises the content of column 3.  I have tried variations to
no avail.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Roger

* Re: Setting width of table column
@ 2011-05-12 17:39 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-05-12 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.05.2011 um 19:34 schrieb Roger Mason:

> Hello,
>
> I cannot find how to set the width of a table column.  I am running
> MkII.  The manual gives this: w<> set minimum column width at specified
> value
>
> I have currently: \starttable[|l|l|w5cm l|p|]

You need parentheses!

… | l w(5cm) | …

Wolfgang

* Re: Setting width of table column
@ 2011-05-12 18:10   ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2011-05-12 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:

> You need parentheses!
>
> … | l w(5cm) | …

Many thanks.

If I may presume on your patience a little more...

I now have:  \starttable[| l s1 | s1 l | s0 lp w(10cm) | s0 l |]

However, the entries in column 3 have line-feeds roughly every two words
and the 10 cm column width is not being used, so there's a huge gap to
column 4.

Thanks again,

@ 2011-05-12 18:18     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-05-12 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.05.2011 um 20:10 schrieb Roger Mason:

> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> You need parentheses!
>>
>> … | l w(5cm) | …
>>

> Many thanks.
>
> If I may presume on your patience a little more...
>
> I now have:  \starttable[| l s1 | s1 l | s0 lp w(10cm) | s0 l |]
>
> However, the entries in column 3 have line-feeds roughly every two words
> and the 10 cm column width is not being used, so there's a huge gap to
> column 4.

Don’t mix “p” and “w” keywords, “w” sets the width for a cell where
you don’t want a line break in the cell while “p” is for paragraphs
where you can set the width of the cell with “p(10cm)”.

Wolfgang

* Re: Setting width of table column
@ 2011-05-12 18:41       ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2011-05-12 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:

> Don’t mix “p” and “w” keywords, “w” sets the width for a cell where
> you don’t want a line break in the cell while “p” is for paragraphs
> where you can set the width of the cell with “p(10cm)”.

Many thanks Wolfgang.  I've been using Context exclusively now for
several years, I'm amazed I never needed to tweak table settings before.

Best wishes,

@ 2011-05-12 18:54         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-05-12 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.05.2011 um 20:41 schrieb Roger Mason:

> Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Don’t mix “p” and “w” keywords, “w” sets the width for a cell where
>> you don’t want a line break in the cell while “p” is for paragraphs
>> where you can set the width of the cell with “p(10cm)”.
>
> Many thanks Wolfgang.  I've been using Context exclusively now for
> several years, I'm amazed I never needed to tweak table settings before.

When you need a certain layout for a table you should consider switching
to natural tables but a few of the nice features (e.g. loffset and
the setups key) are only available in mkiv.

Wolfgang

* Re: Setting width of table column
@ 2011-05-13  8:43           ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2011-05-13  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:

> When you need a certain layout for a table you should consider switching
> to natural tables but a few of the nice features (e.g. loffset and
> the setups key) are only available in mkiv.

I'll look into that.

Thanks again.

Roger