* converting links to footnotes... including page number in footnote??
@ 2022-11-26  0:33 user account
       [not found] ` <a93afb43-c939-40c1-868f-1db8eded17d8n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: user account @ 2022-11-26  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Using pandoc with weasyprint pdf engine to turn the markdown files from a
blog (static site generator does the html conversion) into a pdf for print.

Would it be possible, perhaps with a custom lua filter or some other
mechanism, to add the page number of the linked-to page? The page numbers
won't be known until pandoc has already created the document, and I don't
know where in 'the pipeline' the lua filter intervenes compared to when the
pages exist...?  And If the pages exist with their numbers earlier enough,
is there an object or something from which lua can get the page number?

I haven't found anything about page numbers in
https://pandoc.org/lua-filters.html#module-pandoc.utils ...am I looking in
the wrong place? Can anyone tell me anything about this?

It's an intimidating rabbit hole for me, particularly because I see no
mention of "page  number" there in the docs, which makes it seem kinda
hopeless actually. But maybe one of you know the way and could point me in
that direction?

* Re: converting links to footnotes... including page number in footnote??
       [not found] ` <a93afb43-c939-40c1-868f-1db8eded17d8n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-11-26 10:28   ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-11-26 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The problem is that Pandoc does not produce the PDF document: it produces the intermediary HTML document that is processed by weasyprint to produce the PDF. So you cannot get page numbers in a Lua filter.

However, you can inject raw HTML code in the intermediary file (or in your CSS) that will make weasyprint print the page numbers. The question is whether such HTML code exists. It certainly would be possible to do this if you converted to PDF via LaTeX, ConTeXt or groff, but I don't know if it is possible via weasyprint.

@ 2022-11-26 13:21     ` user account
       [not found]       ` <2aec84ad-a750-48f2-a0c2-ad7572dcca11n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: user account @ 2022-11-26 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks! Yeah injecting html in the intermediary document doesn't sound very
promising either (again, because the pages have to be built first before
footnotes updated with page #s) so maybe I'll abandon weasyprint in this
case, if this would be easy to do with a *Tex pdf engine. In that case...
how would one go about this? Would a lua filter be more capable with a
different pdf engine or would a different mechanism be used?

@ 2022-11-26 13:52         ` 'Håkon Wium Lie' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]           ` <25474.6699.105043.345344-4mDQ13Tdud8Jw5R7aSpS0dP8p4LwMBBS@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Håkon Wium Lie' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-11-26 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If you use Prince as the PDF generator, you can produce quite advanced footnotes:

  https://css4.pub/2022/footnotes/

Also, Prince supports sidenotes, aiming for the holy grail of Tufte-like layout:

  https://css4.pub
  https://css4.pub/2022/sidenotes/

To add the page number of the linked-to page (which was the original
question), Prince supports the "target-counter" feature in CSS.

  https://www.princexml.com/doc/gen-content/

This is often used to create ToCs:

  https://css4.pub/2022/toc/

(Prince is a commercial product, but free for non-commercial use. I work for the company.)

Håkon Wium Lie     haakon-EO96REbE7qRuMpJDpNschA@public.gmane.org    www.wiumlie.no/en

@ 2022-11-26 15:35             ` user account
From: user account @ 2022-11-26 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Prince looks decent, but I'm reluctant to use anything that's not freedom
software.

@ 2022-11-26 17:34         ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-11-26 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Please find attached a basic implementation. As in the attached sample HMTL file, I suppose that the targets are marked with ids on spans and that you link to it via empty <a> elements. If you have a LaTeX installation, simply do `pandoc -L links-with-page-number.lua -o test.pdf test.html` to see the result.

Le Saturday 26 November 2022 à 05:21:25AM, user account a écrit :
> [...]
>     > "pandoc-discuss" group.
>     > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
>     email
>     > to [1]pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
>     > To view this discussion on the web visit [2][2]https://groups.google.com/
>     d/msgid/
>     > pandoc-discuss/a93afb43-c939-40c1-868f-1db8eded17d8n%[3]
>     40googlegroups.com.
>     >
>     > [1] mailto:pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
>     > [2] [4]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/
>     a93afb43-c939-40c1-868f-1db8eded17d8n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&
>     utm_source=footer
>

> --
> pandoc-discuss/2aec84ad-a750-48f2-a0c2-ad7572dcca11n%40googlegroups.com.

[-- Attachment #2: links-with-page-number.lua --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 389 bytes --]

function Link(link)
  local target = link.target
  if string.sub(target, 1, 1) == '#' then
    local label = string.sub(target, 2)
    link.content=pandoc.RawInline('latex', 'p.~\\pageref{' .. label .. '}')
  end
  return link
end

function Span(span)
  local id = span.identifier
  if span.identifier then
    return { pandoc.RawInline('latex', '\\label{' .. id .. '}'), span }
  end
end

[-- Attachment #3: test.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 778 bytes --]

* Re: converting links to footnotes... including page number in footnote??
@ 2022-11-26 22:30           ` user account
       [not found]             ` <480d0274-2324-43d7-9f74-1bbfc08fcbd0n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: user account @ 2022-11-26 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks I wish that worked. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, here's what
I've got…

`pandoc --version` says user data dir is `~/.local/share/pandoc` so I
placed this file there as
`~/.local/share/pandoc/links-with-page-number.lua` and did (just in case)
`chmod +x` on it.

`pandoc -o test.pdf test.html` produces a 2page pdf as expected with no
footnotes.

`pandoc -L links-with-page-number.lua -o test.pdf test.html` fails to
produce pdf file with:
```
Error running filter links-with-page-number.lua:
links-with-page-number.lua: openBinaryFile: does not exist (No such file or
directory)
```

There's no typo in my script name or command invocation. Using ~/.pandoc
instead of ~/.local/share/pandoc doesn't make any difference, still get
that same error.

Any ideas?

@ 2022-11-27  8:56               ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-11-27  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Place the file under `~/.local/share/pandoc/filters`. You don't need the executable flag.

@ 2022-11-27 14:13                 ` user account
       [not found]                   ` <e969f1ca-c6bf-4a5e-b53f-86aa0a444db2n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: user account @ 2022-11-27 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

oh a 'filters' subdir! Thanks. So now the pdf gets created w/o error, but
there are not footnotes.

neither of these:
    pandoc -L links-with-page-number.lua -o test.pdf test.html
    pandoc -V links-as-notes -L links-with-page-number.lua -o test.pdf
test.html
...creates pdf w/ footnotes, so there's no footnote to contain the page
number of the linked-to page.

Something undesireable does happen though... I changed the paragraph with
the link to:
target</a>.</p>
...and the "important words about the target" get removed altogether. Those
should not be removed, just the <a> tags around them should be removed.

Thanks for the help so far. I'm excited to see a lua filter in action for
my first time. Very curious about the api... I presume pandoc is looking
for functions with particular names like Link and Span? Would you mind
confirming... this https://pandoc.org/lua-filters.html#type-link is the
proper spot in the docs for referencing Link in this context... right?

I imagine this working example produce footnotes w/ page numbers for you in
your environment...? Any idea what I could inspect to try to get it working
in mine?

@ 2022-11-27 15:50                     ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-11-27 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

My filter only shows how one can inject raw code to get references by page number in LaTeX. Without any example, I don't really understand what you say about footnotes and so on, but the basic mechanism is here, now you can adapt the filter to your needs.

@ 2022-11-27 16:24                       ` user account
       [not found]                         ` <858c5a07-89a0-4daa-803f-e0d9d50ca9c6n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: user account @ 2022-11-27 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 13171 bytes --]

Ok, gotcha! Could you point me to an example of how that page number could
be printed somewhere?

My goal is this, HTML:

Becomes a paragraph in the pdf document:
Here's text with anchor text[1].

And then in the footer, is a footnote:
1) See <scripted caption> one page #7.

...where page 7 is the where the /some-blog-post is now located in this pdf.

Does that make sense?

@ 2022-11-27 17:01                           ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-11-27 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Please see the updated filter attached!

Le Sunday 27 November 2022 à 08:24:43AM, user account a écrit :
> [...]
> [60] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/
> [61] http://40googlegroups.com/
> [62] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/a93afb43-c939-40c1-868f-1db8eded17d8n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> [63] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/2aec84ad-a750-48f2-a0c2-ad7572dcca11n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> [64] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/480d0274-2324-43d7-9f74-1bbfc08fcbd0n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> [65] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/e969f1ca-c6bf-4a5e-b53f-86aa0a444db2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> [67] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/858c5a07-89a0-4daa-803f-e0d9d50ca9c6n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

[-- Attachment #2: links-with-page-number.lua --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 584 bytes --]

function Link(link)
  local target = link.target
  if string.sub(target, 1, 1) == '#' then
    local label = string.sub(target, 2)
    local ref_by_page = pandoc.RawInline('latex', 'page \\#\\pageref{' .. label .. '}')
    local note_content = pandoc.Para({pandoc.Str('See on '), ref_by_page, pandoc.Str('.')})
    local footnote = pandoc.Note(note_content)
    link.content:insert(footnote)
    return link.content

@ 2022-11-28  4:01                             ` user account
       [not found]                               ` <80adcd1d-bc18-4b38-b3a9-0265d0922790n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: user account @ 2022-11-28  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 18818 bytes --]

That is AWESOME - thank you!!!

I see that the function `function Span(span)` turns
    1 See on page #??.
in to
    1 See on page #2.
but I can't for the life of me figure out how.

Would you mind explaining that?

I've been digging through the docs, but got a lot of headscratching going
on, many more questions than answers.

@ 2022-11-28 17:04                                 ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2022-11-28 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On 11/28/22 05:01, user account wrote:
> That is AWESOME - thank you!!!
>
> I see that the function `function Span(span)` turns
>     1 See on page #??.
> in to
>     1 See on page #2.
> but I can't for the life of me figure out how.
>
> Would you mind explaining that?

[Sending again to the list, since this replies by default to sender.]

TeX (LaTeX or ConTeXt) has no information about pages and their contents
in its first execution (run).

So it displays ??. After the first run, all unresolved references (??)
display the right (page, in this case) number.

I hope it is clear now. Cheers,

Pablo